Broadband options

kyounge1956

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
All the utilities are on at my Lacey house except phone and internet. I don't know what to do about the latter pair. All the ads I see seem to emphasize TV, which I barely watch and could do without altogether, and they all give a special price for the first few months which I'm sure skyrockets for the rest of a probably-compulsory contract term of who-knows-how-many years. The house has an existing DirecTV dish, but I'm sure the service is inactive. If I use some other kind of service, like DSL or cable internet, will the wiring in the house have to be replaced?

I had a plain landline and dialup at my townhouse, but after staying with my mom these last months I'm completely spoiled by the high-speed connection here, but she's paying way more for a multi-channel bundle plus internet plus voice than is in my budget. In times past I've looked around a bit and it seems like it often costs as much or more to get just the two services I want than to get one I don't along with them. Also, I've never used either DSL or DirecTV and don't know if either are fast enough for my purposes, mostly browsing and maybe home WIFI if I succumb to the lure of the iPad. I don't like Comcast (my mom's provider), the service seem glitchy and inconsistent. One time you hit the remote and X happens, you do the same thing again later in the day and get Y instead. Maybe this isn't all Comcast's fault; there is a home network that was set up by my late dad and neither my mom nor I really know how it works. But these experiences have left a bad taste in my mouth. It's all PC here and I'm a Mac user. Also I don't know if I want a landline phone at all or can I just get broadband and use VOIP? I don't like cell phones and don't know if I will get one at all. The laptop I use to telecommute has a 4G wireless modem, and I know I don't want that, because the connection gets slower or hangs altogether if there are other users in the area, and it seems unlikely that any area is going to have an ongoing decline in user numbers, meaning the speed and quality are almost sure to deteriorate right from the start.

I feel like I need to decide between apples, oranges and bananas, never having tasted the apple or orange and not much liking the banana. I'm so confused! How did you choose?

I would suggest broadband and VOIP. If your broadband connection is not good enough for VOIP you can add a landline.

As far as using existing cabling, that will depend on what is there, and if the provider certifies it -- determines that it is good enough.

Last edited:
In some places, you don't have a choice. I was able to cable but not DSL. Have you checked yet to see what is actually available at your location ?

Satellite works if you can't get anything else, but usually more expensive. Also reception problems with trees other obstacles, some service don't work well over it like VPNs. Cable/DSL are about the same now, you can get different bandwith levels for varying prices.

I have magicjack (VOIP), works for me. Just remember if internet is out you have no phone.

Everyone has their own opinions on this subject. I will offer mine. Ultimately your budget may limit your options.

First, if you decide to go with cable broadband or cable for tv the existing wires in the house should work even though they were installed for directv or dish. The dish up on the roof should work if you opt to go that way for tv. You just need to find out what kind of dish it is and either Directv or Dish could provide the service. DSL goes through phone wires so the existing tv wiring is irrelevant as long as there has been phone service in the house.

My set up is Directv (like the sports offered vs the local cable company), Century Link DSL and VOIP (majic jack) for phone. Also have a cell phone. DSL operates on a wireless network and works fine. Also have a Directv wireless router which connects to my wireless network and allows me to watch tv on the Ipad (pretty cool feature) in areas of the house where there is no tv.

There is a website that offers you all of the options available to you based on your address. You just type it in and all of the services available pop up.

http://www.serviceinmyarea.com/broadbandproviders/

Last edited:
IMO, everyone should have a cell phone within reach at all times. Today, that can be quite inexpensive.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom