burglar alarms?

I can't recall every having a proper burglary in our neighborhood. All the houses were built with alarm systems, though not everyone pays for the monitoring.

The problem we have here is about every year or two there is a run of people getting robbed because they leave their garage doors open and the thief just walks right in. Usually they just take something from the garage, but occasionally they go into the house too.

It's never pleasant to be robbed, but if you leave your garage door open all day you are just asking for trouble.

I have to wrestle with the security issue. My folks homesteaded in Alaska and I was raised on stories about how one did NOT lock the doors if you left the cabin. In fact, you left a fire laid and food in the larder in case a lost and frozen traveler chanced upon your door. I still try and imagine that a thief truly has a need for the things they steal. I don't want to think poorly of others, so that tempers the levels of security implemented.

I have to wrestle with the security issue. My folks homesteaded in Alaska and I was raised on stories about how one did NOT lock the doors if you left the cabin. In fact, you left a fire laid and food in the larder in case a lost and frozen traveler chanced upon your door. I still try and imagine that a thief truly has a need for the things they steal. I don't want to think poorly of others, so that tempers the levels of security implemented.

We never used to lock our doors, we live on 12 acres and never felt like we would be a target. Our town is small....but has seen a growing problem with meth. There are some pretty desperate people around and remote homes have been been getting hit. Sad situation. But it feels good to be pre-emptive.

We never used to lock our doors, we live on 12 acres and never felt like we would be a target. Our town is small....but has seen a growing problem with meth. There are some pretty desperate people around and remote homes have been been getting hit. Sad situation. But it feels good to be pre-emptive.

I must be the only knuckle dragger on this forum. Thieves can go steal from businesses or wherever and take their chances, but breaking into a private residence and violating ones sanctity of a private home deserves a hot lead gift for their brazenness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My last house came prewired, but that meant there were alarm wires sticking out of all ground level doors and windows. When I remodeled, I decided to put alarm magnetic switches at all the doors and windows just to get rid of the wires. After I did that it seemed reasonable to put in an alarm system box and hook everything up. I bought a professional level monitoring station and control panel. Hooking up all the wires was tedious but easy. Programming the system was very complex. I had to read the manual many times to figure out all the correct codes. I think the newer ones for the DIY crowd would be much easier, but when I finished, I had a rock solid system with all the bells and whistles.

I used a monitoring company that recorded video cameras at the doors any time there was an event. I got a text message any time one of the teen kids came in to the house and disarmed the system or left and armed the system. I did not have a human monitor in the loop. If there was an event I would get a text and e-mail and I would have to respond appropriately. I also put up alarm signs and window stickers. Never had a problem.

I also had the garage door alarmed. I had control panels at the front door, the master bedroom, and the inner garage door. It helped me know if I forgot to close the garage door. DW and I also had key fobs that would close/open the garage door and arm/disarm the system. Very convenient.

I have to wrestle with the security issue. My folks homesteaded in Alaska and I was raised on stories about how one did NOT lock the doors if you left the cabin. In fact, you left a fire laid and food in the larder in case a lost and frozen traveler chanced upon your door.

That's an entirely different set of circumstances and motivations, and the frozen traveler isn't there to steal - he's there in an effort to survive. And he probably doesn't have the strength left to steal anyway. Not exactly the case in suburbia.

I must be the only knuckle dragger on this forum. Thieves can go steal from businesses or wherever and take their chances, but breaking into a private residence and violating ones sanctity of a private home deserves a hot lead gift for their brazenness.

I think we all fantasize about meting out justice to those that wrong us, but with my luck I'd end up killing the teenager down the block over a TV set.

My neighborhood feels safe because it's a health hazard.
Any intruder causing damage would run the risk of contracting acute lead poisoning.

We may live in the same state. This state is covered by the Castle doctrine. The state law has 7 deadly sins in which force can be used. Doesn't include theft directly, but there's the state definition of what Castle covers. I'd guess I'd be in fear of my life should someone enter my home with intent. Think it's all in RSMO570 - RSMO573.

Despite that I have a monitored alarm.

I'm in no way saying what's right or wrong, and I'm not an attorney.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

We may live in the same state. This state is covered by the Castle doctrine. The state law has 7 deadly sins in which force can be used. Doesn't include theft directly, but there's the state definition of what Castle covers. I'd guess I'd be in fear of my life should someone enter my home with intent. Think it's all in RSMO570 - RSMO573.

Despite that I have a monitored alarm.

I'm in no way saying what's right or wrong, and I'm not an attorney.

I am not a violent person or even a gun nut though I own one. But still I must confess that when a home invader gets cut down by the homeowner, I must confess I believe the neighborhood is a bit safer and the taxpayers were spared. And I cannot stand to read an obligatory comment from a friend or relative on how nice the person was. Sometimes you get what you deserve. I don't know necessarily what the other 6 sins are but this one is a top 5 in my book!

I used to accidentally leave the garage door open.
I would find out at bedtime when I checked all the doors were locked as I'd look to see our car doors were shut tight, since once leaving one open killed the battery.
Too many times I saw the garage door was open, then I'd look around to see if my tools etc were still there.
Finally I bought this little thing that sticks on the garage door and wireless monitor inside the house that shows green/red light
Its an earlier version of this:
Sears.com

I am not a violent person or even a gun nut though I own one. But still I must confess that when a home invader gets cut down by the homeowner, I must confess I believe the neighborhood is a bit safer and the taxpayers were spared. And I cannot stand to read an obligatory comment from a friend or relative on how nice the person was. Sometimes you get what you deserve. I don't know necessarily what the other 6 sins are but this one is a top 5 in my book!

I had a house sticker years ago that said, "Protected By Smith & Wesson". Not sure if that would deter or invite thieves in to steal your guns.

I had a house sticker years ago that said, "Protected By Smith & Wesson". Not sure if that would deter or invite thieves in to steal your guns.

My neighbor has this sign attached to the front of his house. He straps a 44 to his waist just to walk his dog around a very safe neighborhood. I'm more worried about him then I am any possible burglars.

no_trespassing_or_dare_to_trespass_sign_poster-rbb5ccfec7e7b47f4ac614cff106d6157_t0z_8byvr_512.jpg

Last edited:
My neighbor has this sign attached to the front of his house. He straps a 44 to his waist just to walk his dog around a very safe neighborhood. I'm more worried about him then I am any possible burglars.

no_trespassing_or_dare_to_trespass_sign_poster-rbb5ccfec7e7b47f4ac614cff106d6157_t0z_8byvr_512.jpg

We rarely have much crime in my small town however a man (he walks some too) in a car approached me while I was on my daily walk and asked if I noticed any unusual activity the day before as his mother was robbed in broad daylight while she was out of the house.
The safe suburban gun carrying thing really amuses me, though it doesn't bother me. I have come to the conclusion the only place for mine is in the house. No need to carry it where I live, and the few times I go to the city where it may be a prudent safety feature it would have to be left in the car. So all that would accomplish is it being stolen.
My luck would probably be what happened a few months ago in the nearby big city. A couple thugs robbed some elderly people, then one of the older men pulled out his concealed gun and next thing you know both sides are emptying the guns at each other. Neither one hit anything and they still got off with the goods.

I've always thought those were invitations to steal. What's more intrinsically and instrumentally valuable, portable, and marketable than guns? And anyone brazen enough to talk up their gun ownership probably has a gun or three laying around. You can stick those puppies in a duffle bag and buy many days of meth with the proceeds from fencing them. Or deploy those newly acquired guns in even more lucrative crimes.

I've always thought those were invitations to steal. What's more intrinsically and instrumentally valuable, portable, and marketable than guns? And anyone brazen enough to talk up their gun ownership probably has a gun or three laying around. You can stick those puppies in a duffle bag and buy many days of meth with the proceeds from fencing them. Or deploy those newly acquired guns in even more lucrative crimes.
My thoughts, too. It seems like cash, drugs and guns would be favorite targets for thieves.

Finally I bought this little thing that sticks on the garage door and wireless monitor inside the house that shows green/red light
Its an earlier version of this:
Sears.com

I have one of those too, although it is there because it came with the opener on a special. It just happened to be at the time we were buying a garage door opener.

I never actually drove off and left the garage door open but it drove me nuts if I got two hours away and realized that I couldn't remember closing it.:facepalm:

Are there any DIY alarm systems that also record video? Seems you're unlikely to stop a theft, but it would seem good if you had pictures of the thieves after the fact. At least you'd know if it was the neighbor kids.

......snip....

A gun isn't much use if you aren't there as mentioned unless you set up some kind of booby trap...I think there have been some Darwin awards for those in the past :p

Maybe Darwin for the person that set it, I'm not sure if it's a federal law or state. Every state I've read the laws on weapons there's very serious penelty(several class A felonies in this state) for that type of trap.

I engorge anyone that chooses to use deadly force to get training in your state laws and pratice, pratice, have a plan; your buying false security if you don't.

Mulligan the story you mentioned about the guy that tried to stop a robbery is a prime example. Depending on details he may or may not have been legal. But it's stupid, if they have your stuff and are leaving let them have it. Even if the older man was legal, he missed. In this state you are responsible for all damages caused by that miss. Take a bad guy out, the law protects you from any civil actions. But if folks don't do it legal bad, news for them. Off that soapbox forever.

A good buudy of mine living in a typical 60s split level walked out his bedroom to visit the bathroom in the middle of the night. He's a former USMC, saw a guy sneaking down the hall and tackled him. Hit him a couple times, rolled him over, a 15 yo boy. Turned out he'd entered the wrong house, he was sneaking in to visit the neighbors 16 yo daughter. My buddies pretty big, he said that kid was shaking like a leaf, probably lost contol of his bladder.

Are there any DIY alarm systems that also record video? Seems you're unlikely to stop a theft, but it would seem good if you had pictures of the thieves after the fact. At least you'd know if it was the neighbor kids.

Most systems with ip cameras record video or email snapshots based on motion detection. Mine helped me nab this burglar.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-25 at 4.14.57 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-01-25 at 4.14.57 PM.jpg
    461.1 KB · Views: 24
I have an alarm system that is not monitored. I do have stickers in the windows and the Alarm permit from my city on the long narrow window next to my front door. My neighbors 3 doors down had their house broken into last summer. The criminals parked in their driveway, broke the window next to the door and reached in and opened the dead bolt. They must have been in and out quickly because a workman showed up 45 minutes after my neighbor had left and found the front door wide open. That house is at the end of a long street so can be seen easily. I assume they were cased before the break in.

I had a second deadbolt installed after that, one that is keyed on both sides. I keep my keys in my pocket in case I need to go out the front door. I do set my alarm at night, but not during the day. I open the blinds in the front window and let my dogs watch (and bark at) everything that happens in the front of the house. I figure that would deter your average burglar.

A good buddy of mine living in a typical 60s split level walked out his bedroom to visit the bathroom in the middle of the night. .........
A midnight trip to the bathroom didn't work out that well for Oscar Pistorius, either.

I was thinking of getting this system that is not monitored. I don't want a monthly fee to add to our budget, as I'm just not sure of its value - especially after reading this thread.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00032AVN6/ref=gno_cart_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Anyone have thoughts on this or another system that might be better?

I will look for some kind of security sign to purchase for the yard, too.

My main purpose I want to achieve is being woken up should someone try to break in at night while we are sleeping. I'm not as concerned about daytime breakins because (1) we don't have valuable "stuff"
(2) we live in a townhouse development so I'm thinking these alarms would get someone's attention pretty fast.

The average police response time here is well over 20 minutes, unfortunately. So having 911 called doesn't help much with stopping a daytime burglary, which I have read typically is done and over within an average of 8 minutes.

Maybe Darwin for the person that set it, I'm not sure if it's a federal law or state. Every state I've read the laws on weapons there's very serious penelty(several class A felonies in this state) for that type of trap.

I engorge anyone that chooses to use deadly force to get training in your state laws and pratice, pratice, have a plan; your buying false security if you don't.

Mulligan the story you mentioned about the guy that tried to stop a robbery is a prime example. Depending on details he may or may not have been legal. But it's stupid, if they have your stuff and are leaving let them have it. Even if the older man was legal, he missed. In this state you are responsible for all damages caused by that miss. Take a bad guy out, the law protects you from any civil actions. But if folks don't do it legal bad, news for them. Off that soapbox forever.

A good buudy of mine living in a typical 60s split level walked out his bedroom to visit the bathroom in the middle of the night. He's a former USMC, saw a guy sneaking down the hall and tackled him. Hit him a couple times, rolled him over, a 15 yo boy. Turned out he'd entered the wrong house, he was sneaking in to visit the neighbors 16 yo daughter. My buddies pretty big, he said that kid was shaking like a leaf, probably lost contol of his bladder.

I took a one day training with my gun as a precursor to getting my conceal and carry. The potential liabilities from it learned then has precluded me from any more serious thought at this point from having the permit. Improvising and reflex decision making could prove disastrous. However inside my home, I do have a plan......

I had a second deadbolt installed after that, one that is keyed on both sides. I keep my keys in my pocket in case I need to go out the front door.

I would encourage you to get in the habit of leaving the key in the lock when you're home. In case of fire in the night, people have been trapped with tragic results when that was the only way out.

That's why gun owners have gun safes.

Back
Top Bottom