Burt Reynolds 82

Burt Reynolds passed away at age 82

Hard to believe. OK, he was 82 so I guess that's to be expected, but in another sense it's still shocking. He always seemed so intense, manly, strong, and full of energy. And now, dust to dust. :(

Hard to believe. OK, he was 82 so I guess that's to be expected, but in another sense it's still shocking. He always seemed so intense, manly, strong, and full of energy. And now, dust to dust. :(

I saw him (on TV) two years ago at an auction of the car used in the Smokey & the Bandit movie. He looked pretty frail at the time, so this wasn't a surprise to me.

Despite the ups and downs of a Hollywood life, Reynolds seemed to have no regrets.

"I always wanted to experience everything and go down swinging," he wrote in the final paragraph of his memoir. "Well, so far, so good. I know I'm old, but I feel young. And there's one thing they can never take away: Nobody had more fun than I did."

Probably true. And he certainly gave his public a lot of enjoyment.

As I understand it he died of heart attack and has suffered from heart problems for several years. Sad to see he is gone, I always enjoyed his movies.

I saw him (on TV) two years ago at an auction of the car used in the Smokey & the Bandit movie. He looked pretty frail at the time, so this wasn't a surprise to me.

I had not seen him since Smokey and the Bandit days, so I'll take your word for it. In my mind, he will be forever young.
I thought he was so ...hot
There you go. I couldn't agree more; that says it all.

RIP Burt Reynolds.

At one point, I believe he being considered as the next Marlon Brando. He did a real good job in the movie "Deliverance". I watched that movie but really didn't follow much else of his career.

He had an infectious laugh. Liked many of his movies. Maybe my favorite was The Longest Yard (the original)

I thought he was so ...hot

+1

never saw any movie he was in where I did not enjoy his performance, if not always the rest of the film. In that, he was iconic to me, like Sean Connery and Michael Caine are also.

Sharkey's machine, as both a riveting action movie, and for his excellent performance, will always be dear to me, especially as it was set locally, back when one of the hotels with an outside elevator was a thing.

For a 10 year period, he was.the.highest grossing movie star in the world. I.just loved Burt's sarcastic personality.

We used to see him around Nashville when he was dating.Dinah Shore. She was a native Tennessean. Come to think about it, Mrs. Shore was the original Cougar being 20 years older than Burt.

Wait as minute! :) I belong To United Flying Octogenarians, and we have over 1500 members

I saw this in a link about his death, and thought it was a wonderful quote:

Burt once wrote in his memoir, 'But Enough About Me: A Memoir':
I always wanted to experience everything and go down swinging. Well, so far, so good. I know I'm old, but I feel young. And there's one thing they can never take away: Nobody had more fun than I did.
I feel kind of like that sometimes. I'd imagine that many of us do.

Wait as minute! :) I belong To United Flying Octogenarians, and we have over 1500 members
Well there you go! My mistake. But I hope you excuse my goof - - I'm only 70, and we 70-year-olds still have a lot to learn.... :D

DW and I just recently rented “The Last Movie Star”, which he made last year. It only got lukewarm reviews, but we couldn’t take our eyes off him. Per IMDb, “An aging former movie star is forced to face the reality that his glory days are behind him. On its surface, the film is a tale about faded fame. At its core, it's a universal story about growing old.”

He had my all-time favorite movie line, in "Gator."
"Only two things I'm scared of."
"Only two things? What is that?"
"Women and the po-lice."

Did anyone see "The Last Movie Star". It's a pretty transparent parody of his own life and he played the has-been star. I saw it on Netflix. I couldn't finish the whole thing because it was painful to watch. Brave of him, but also sad.

I remember seeing Burt frequently on the Johnny Carson show. He was a hoot, very unpretentious and willing to poke fun at himself (incl his toupee and the little light he joked about having inside his car so he could be recognized while driving The Strip at night.) Two funny guys.

Back
Top Bottom