Can you freeze Pineapple Juice?

Graybeard

Full time employment: Posting here.
I bought a 59 oz container of Pineapple Juice today and will only need about 1/4 of it, I'm making hot sauce. I want to freeze it in 16 oz canning jars filling each about 2/3 full and use it as needed. It seems like it should freeze OK and thaw out and be the same as before being frozen but then what do I know! Anyone ever do this? If so, was it OK when defrosted?

I just googled, and numerous sites say 8 to 12 months for opened pineapple juice in the freezer.

I think freezing it would be fine, but be careful how you freeze it. My DW froze some soup she made in canning jars and a couple of them broke. I assume it was from the expansion from freezing. Now, I freeze her soup in a plastic container and then, once frozen, I’ll vacuum pack it in a bag and throw it back in the freezer.

I'd freeze it in a plastic freezer storage bag, as it will expand unpredictably and likely break glass jars.

You might even want to freeze it in ice cube trays, then put them in a plastic bag. That way you can use as much/little as needed later. I used to do that for the baby food I made.

Thanks.

I have canning jars as I used to can and freeze so I know to leave head space. For a 16 oz jar, I'd only add 12 oz and that's way more head space than needed. Even 8 or 10 oz would be better as that is based upon how much Pineapple Juice I'd need for a batch of hot sauce. 12 oz might be too much, depends upon the amount I want to make. My concern was more along the line of freezing changing the quality of the flavor. I know potatoes do not freeze well, when they defrost in a soup or stew the texture is terrible.

I'm pretty sure this is OK to do, just wondering if anyone had a problem.

I mix in crushed pineapple when I prepare a can of tuna fish for my lunches.
I freeze the remaining pineapple for the next times I make tuna. Never a problem. I presume the same holds for pineapple juice.

You might even want to freeze it in ice cube trays, then put them in a plastic bag. That way you can use as much/little as needed later. I used to do that for the baby food I made.

My wife has done this with various things in the past and this year she made her own pesto again using the basil she grows, but instead of freezing it in small pots she decided to try freezing in an ice cube tray to save space.

The frozen pesto cubes stuck to the tray which broke as we tried to pop out individual cubes. Next year it will be back to individual small pots.

Hah! This past weekend I paid a higher per-ounce price for a small can of pineapple juice, simply because I knew I would only need about 6oz. (I bought a container of cream of coconut on a whim earlier, and I wanted to try making my own pina coladas before I buy more supplies.)

If you freeze it into cubes and put them in a ziplock bag, they may freeze together, although if it's not too bad you can bang them on the counter to break them up.

My wife has done this with various things in the past and this year she made her own pesto again using the basil she grows, but instead of freezing it in small pots she decided to try freezing in an ice cube tray to save space.

The frozen pesto cubes stuck to the tray which broke as we tried to pop out individual cubes. Next year it will be back to individual small pots.

We freeze pesto in small containers. No issue.

We also freeze Thai basis leaves. We use them Penang curry. Wash them, lay the flat, wrap in paper towel and place in a zip lock bag. Then place them in the freezer. We do the same with kaffir line leaves. We buy them frozen at our local Asian supermarket.

You might even want to freeze it in ice cube trays, then put them in a plastic bag. That way you can use as much/little as needed later.
We have had good results with this method freezing buttermilk, lemon juice from our tree, and pesto. i don't see why pineapple juice wouldn't work just as well.

Cheers!

Silicone ice cube trays work great for this - no chance of breaking and usually easy to get the frozen cubes out - you can find them in various sizes - I have one set for 'normal' size ice cubes and another set that makes cubes 1/3 cup size:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QIU7X6/

Back
Top Bottom