Canada <-> US with Expired Passport Only?

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Hi,

In a few days, DD will be traveling to from Canada over the Detroit/Windsor border.

Can she do this with an expired passport?

Thanks!

While I haven't done this in years, way back when, a US citizen didn't need a passport at all to cross the US / Canada border. Same with Mexico if you stick to the border towns.

Be cautious the requirements to come back from Canada and elsewhere in N-America is changing at the end of December (I think you won't be able to use a birth or Naturalization certificate any more; old passport may be OK(?) ):

see travel.state.gov for more.

On effective dates below, all travelers to or from the Americas, the Caribbean and Bermuda will be required to have a passport or other document that establishes the bearer’s identity and nationality to enter or re-enter the United States. On December 31, 2006, the requirement will be applied to all air and sea travel to and from Bermuda, the Caribbean, Central and South America, Mexico, and Canada. On December 31, 2007, the requirement extended to all air, sea, and land border crossings. For more information or to confirm effective dates, visit the State Department’s consular web site www.travel.state.gov or the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s web site at www.dhs.gov.

perinova said:
Be cautious the requirements to come back from Canada and elsewhere in N-America is changing at the end of December (I think you won't be able to use a birth or Naturalization certificate any more; old passport may be OK(?) ):

see travel.state.gov for more.

According to the link I posted above, the 2006 date has been extended:

Martha said:
I just googled the passport requirements and the US has moved the date to January 1, 2008 as the date passports will be required for traveling between US and Cananda and US and Mexico. http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

OK I think this is good to get in Canada.
The comments above applied to the return trip.

The way I understand it 1-1-2008 applies to all travel including land crossing.
(1-1-2007 only for Air/Sea travel)

I went to Montreal by car last year and only needed a US driver's license.

Back
Top Bottom