Canadian Seal Hunt

Maximillion

Full time employment: Posting here.
The Harp Seal population is approximatly 6,000,000., in 1970 it was about 2,000,000.

The melting of the Ice Floes due to Green House warming necessitates the shooting of these animals as the Harvesters cannot get close enough to club them, a few clubbings take place in a small area of the cull, in the Gulf of St Lawrence.

The facts are that due to this ice melting and due to the population explosion, most of these pups would drowned .

The seal pelts are worth about $75, almost all are exported.

Newfoundland is an Island off Canada's east Coast, it entered Confederation about 50 years ago, and the people rely upon the Sea for a living.

Most of the outports are now abandoned, the death of the Cod Industry has forced people to leave.

Paul McCartney should visit cattle slaughter houses, or poultry farms where animals are force fed to make pate, that is a real cause.

Parts of China have farms that raise dogs for Restaurants, is that the next cause?? :confused:

Is this a part-time ER job possibility?

My vote for the next cause celebre would be the stuffing and mounting of executed Chinese (Red China) prisoners whose flayed, plasticised corpses have been on travelling exhibition in the US. Two "displays" were taken down because someone found the bullet holes in the heads. Extremely cynical, totally unethical. There are truly evil people in the world. This travelling circus should be stopped.

Just like those barbaric Canandians. Killing those poor seals just for the aphrodisiacs. Brigitte Bardot wouldn't lie?

This is a strange thread. We moved from clubbing cute, lovable seals to exhibiting plasticized Chinese prisoners. It's too bad that people care more about causes that will lead to the mismanagement of natural resources than for the inhumane treatment of our fellow man.

Maximillion said:
Ed, you aren't serious are you??

yes I recall reading about it ... here is a quote:

OK, for the record, the bodies were plastinated in a Chinese University, and although everyone says that there were no executed criminals in the .. err.. "batch" (?) the official word from the university is that IF there are any criminal bodies present, the university is unaware of them. This is a standard disclaimer, and means nothing. In China, the bodies' origins are kept secret

http://www.crazedfanboy.com/npcr/ddementiapcr283.html

We are one of the few cultures in the world (and I'm including Canadians) that doesn't eat dogs, cats and horses. We seem to have divided the animal kingdom up into sacred creatures and those we've accepted as food (but please don't tell us what happens before it's all nicely wrapped in plastic!!!!).

2B People need to see what happens before it's "wrapped in plastic", maybe if more knew what actually happened it would stop. There is a big difference between humane treatment and just plain ugly slaughter.

2B said:
We are one of the few cultures in the world (and I'm including Canadians) that doesn't eat dogs, cats and horses. We seem to have divided the animal kingdom up into sacred creatures and those we've accepted as food (but please don't tell us what happens before it's all nicely wrapped in plastic!!!!).

Not quite!

Since June 1994 consumption of horsemeat is legal in Quebec, although I don't care for it myself.

As for cats and dogs, well I go eat at our local chinatown often but never ask what's in the food.

:D
http://www.mapaq.gouv.qc.ca/NR/rdonlyres/5BA666FB-3F81-4F30-BB64-5FB4E3870501/0/pcheval.pdf

I used to help my grandfather with the critters and saw what went on before we ate it. In 4H I raised my own rabbits and supplied a number of regular customers. I will have to admit that I made more money selling the rabbit droppings to gardeners than I made on selling the rabbit fryers.

In my post I almost made reference to the almost French speaking population to the far north. They really aren't in the same culture I was referring to earlier.

Every so often, there will be an item in the newspaper where a cat will be found in the cooler of a chinese establishment. They always say that they weren't serving it to the customers. It was for themselves.

I worked in a plant where we had a lot of feral cats. One of the supervisors used to kill and eat them. I never would eat cat. They have parasites that don't get killed during cooking like dogs, cattle and pigs.

Rabbit Meat is actually quite good, Rabbit Stew was certainly a staple in my house growing up.

Today it was Pork, tomorrow it is Lamb, Friday was Calves Liver.

My Son, in China, has eaten Dog, Snake, and Mice, not sure if he has had Monkey:confused:

2B said:
In my post I almost made reference to the almost French speaking population to the far north. They really aren't in the same culture I was referring to earlier.

I would have to agree with you that the culture in these parts is certainly very different from the rest of Canada and even more so than that of the USA. Here we have retained some of the traditions of our 'French Cousins' across the pond.

As to the 'Far North' well that is hardly the case. I am a one-hour drive from Plattsburg NY., and some six hours from Boston, all by car.

In July we even have the odd 100 degree day.

To me the Far North is the Yukon or Alaska or Hudson's Bay.

The "far north" begins somewhere south of Dallas.

2B said:
We seem to have divided the animal kingdom up into sacred creatures and those we've accepted as food (but please don't tell us what happens before it's all nicely wrapped in plastic!!!!).

yes, seems americans will eat an ugly lobster before a cute puppy. we treat our people similarly.

my brother's motto is he'll eat anything that's been alive. i'm mostly a vegetarian. guess which of us has the cleaner arteries?

in a twist of history, most floridians don't know we used to have cute seals native to our coastline because the local native americans ate them all before we built our ugly condominiums there.

Animals don't have rights, they're breakfast.

And 2B, clogged arteries or not, I'll bet your brother lives way longer than you do! (Unless he's a bullfighter, skydiver, Paris Hilton's gynecologist, etc.)

Cool Dude,

You must have me confused with lazygood4nothinbum. He's the one with the brother with clogged arteries.

Animals are not ours to eat, wear, experiment on, or use for entertainment.

Back
Top Bottom