Cars people keep 15+ years

Well, I've been privileged to drive her for only 5 years, but she was born in Stuttgart in 1986. Knock on wood she will continue as my daily driver well beyond 15 years! (See pic)

Attachments

• DSC_4083.jpg
    DSC_4083.jpg
    826.7 KB · Views: 22
DW has a love affair with Wranglers. She's owned four. One for ten years and the other currently for eight, it just turned over 17k miles on it. I either love or hate them, in the winter and off road they're hard to beat, for a comfortable ride?

I just paid $600 bucks today to get the "death wobble" on my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon fixed along with new rear shocks. It is getting to where I share a lot of time for it with the mechanic. It is a 2013 with 67,000 miles. I'm hoping to get a few more years out of it, but not sure it will make it!

On another note. My son just drove out from Virginia for the holidays in his 1995 Geo Prizm. It has about 225,000 miles on it. He started on his trip back to Virginia today.

I just paid $600 bucks today to get the "death wobble" on my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon fixed along with new rear shocks. It is getting to where I share a lot of time for it with the mechanic. It is a 2013 with 67,000 miles. I'm hoping to get a few more years out of it, but not sure it will make it!

On another note. My son just drove out from Virginia for the holidays in his 1995 Geo Prizm. It has about 225,000 miles on it. He started on his trip back to Virginia today.
Your experience is probably the reason I haven't bought a Rubicon. Her Sahara is nice but not really a serious off road vehicle. Sure is nice if/when it snows. I'd hate to try driving 800 miles a day in it. My GMC Sierra does that.

My last neighbor had an right hand drive X that he ran a mail route with. He had over a quarter million on it, past wear stuff it was still factory.

A little late to the party, but out 2002 Odyssey has 287,000 miles. Tranny was replaced as a recall in 2003 or 4. Fabulous van. Minimal issues. Also, we passed along a 1998 CRV 2 years ago; still going strong.

1998 Honda Accord, 93K miles. Figure if it's good for 300K, we're good for another 40 years. I'm surprised this Accord wasn't on that list, I can't believe how many other older Hondas I see when I'm driving.

Thinking further on this, I made two other really poor car decisions.

I had a 1956 Chevrolet Nomad
I had a 1935 Chevrolet

Oops. I notice that I forgot to post pictures of what those cars looked like.

1956 Nomad.JPG

1935 chevrolet.JPG

I feel a lot better about hanging onto our 2004 Acura MDX—just invested in a new battery for it.

DW still drives her 1997 BMW Z3 we bought new. My vehicles aren't 15 Years old, but are high mileage - I drive a 2007 F150 w/ 230,00 miles, a 2006 corvette with 99,875 miles (as of today). Gave my 2005 F150 to son when it hit 350,000, and he's still driving it.
Strongly believe in preventative maintenance and driving a vehicle until the wheels fall off. Then putting the wheels back on and driving some more.

Last edited:
1985 Chevy Caprice Classic purchased in 1990. Owned it for 19 years. Traded it in in 2009 with 425,000 beloved miles on the odometer. No huge expenses. Still had original engine and trans when traded. Still running well but getting rusty.

I bet many of my cars should be in the 15+ category. Or her cars, as my name is not on the last 3 cars we own. But we don't drive them beyond 10 years. Not worth the risk.

I bought a new 2003 Ford F250 with the 7.3 diesel engine, and it is now 15 years old with 141,000 miles. It still looks and drives like new, and it has never been driven in the snow.

I reckon it might be hard to find snow in Alabama....:D

I have a 2003 GMC 4WD 1500 pickup with 99,540 miles on it, and it has been driven in the snow. Lots of it. When there is snow on the ground - any snow at all - DW's Honda Accord suddenly morphs into a garage queen and the truck becomes primary.

I blew it - sold my highlander (#1 on the list) at 12 years, last year. Bought a subaru forester, also on the list.... No reason I won't hang on to it. When we bought the highlander we were dealing with carseats and strollers... needed the SUV space. Forester is a better fit for our current needs.

DH's vehicle isn't on the list but qualifies... 95 Dodge Ram PU. Not pretty anymore, despite being garaged most of it's life. But it runs well enough. But the bench seat only seats 3 - and we're a family of 4... so it isn't used for any family outings. (Standard cab - standard bed... which is why it fits in the garage.)

Nice thing about the pickup - it is a great beater for older son to learn to drive on. Nice and high so he can see around him. And be seen. I feel *almost* safe as I take him out on driving practice.

We have driven mostly new Hondas over the last 32 years, with good experiences. I sold a 1991 Civic in 1999, with 206k on the odometer. Gave away a 1993 Accord in 2008 with 160k on the odometer, and the recipient drove it daily for another 9 years. Traded in a 1997 Accord in 2011 with over 150k on the odometer. My current daily driver is a 2008 Civic hybrid with 267k on the odometer.

My 2004 Prius (Prius is #4 on the list) is still running great. Only about 150K miles on it. Have only put about 4.5K of part and fluid replacements in it since purchase, no real repairs as such. Bought new, in the first year of a redesign, a major one, which is generally not been a smart thing to do, but worked out well for me this one time I did it. Model has had two relatively minor redesigns since then, 2010 and 2016. Did not like the 2010 one much (interior layout changes were not good for a dog owner based on where they moved the shift knob to). 2016 was much better, moved knob back to more or less where it was. itching a bit for a new or slightly used one, but hate to spend the money, incl the added ins cost, as I am too frugal i guess. Will see in time, may just buy one but keep this one as a backup, second car.

My Mainland car is a 19 year old Buick. My buddy from w*rk drove his Buick (almost as old) for 250,000 miles before getting a newer Buick.

Our Honda CRV is almost 20 years old.

YMMV

Before I moved to Europe. 1999 Subaru Forester (Canyon Red), #13 on the list. All wheel drive, with cold weather options (loved those heated seats and mirrors). I owned it 10 years and put 250,000+plus miles on it, then sold it for $1000 to someone who wanted a city commuting car. That was 8.5 years ago and I believe it is still going strong. "Cowboy" was the best car I ever owned. It was fantastic in snowy, icy conditions (with good winter tires). I was fearless in northern New England.

-BB

Last edited:
My '98 honda crv is indestructible. 230k and no reason not expect another 200k. Did two 3k roadtrips in her last year.

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 4x4 pick up truck. I know, not quite 15 yet, but I recently took it in for the air bag recall. When I went to pick it up 3 employees were there and asked me if I would like to trade it in or sell it. I wasn't but asked them what they would give me for it. They asked what I paid for it and I told them; $32,500. They said that's what they'd give me. Of course a new one like it is over $55,000 now, so no deal. It is nice to know I got good truck and good resale if I ever did want to get rid of it.

I have a 1991 Suzuki Samurai in all original condition. On a lark, I entered it in a a classic car show that entries had to be 25 or more years older. I took first place for most original 4x4. It is my daily driver and has over 228,000 miles on it, never rebuilt motor but did the tranny and clutch once. Easily passes the strict California smog test.

Last edited:
My '98 honda crv is indestructible. 230k and no reason not expect another 200k. Did two 3k roadtrips in her last year.

That reminds me...I drive my 2006 Highlander from MI to FL and back -- approx. 2500 miles round trip each year plus drriving around town or trips to visit friends around the country.

Last summer, a couple girlfriends and I were planning a 9-hr. trip to visit a former co-worker and her sister. One gal has a 1-year old Ford Focus and the other has a 2-year old Ford Fusion. We've taken all 3 cars on group outings of 3-4 hrs. so we've experienced all three. When we were nailing down the details of the 9-hr trip -- they both suggested we take my vehicle. I'm thinking, "Huh? Your cars are almost new. My car is ancient compared to the other 2 -- but it's quiet, comfortable, with a high seating position which makes it nice for traveling." (Sadly, our trip was cancelled due to the unexpected death of the sister.)

omni

I'm surprised Volvo is not on the list. I thought that was the brunt of old cars jokes-held together by political bumper stickers and fueled by whirreld peas.
My V-40-not even a classic, (built when Ford owned the company) is about to turn 15 this summer. I bought it when it was 4 years old. I hope I don't have to keep it 4 more years to get my LBYM credit.

Haven't made it to 15 years yet but had a 1987 240 wagon that I kept 14 years/170K miles. Currently drive a 2005 XC-70 that I will replace in the spring with about 150K miles. In both cases the cars probably would have made it to 15 years; I just got sick of them. Sadly, Volvos have gotten too expensive for me so the current one will be the last.

Back
Top Bottom