cast iron pan

tmm99

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have one cast iron pan. It came pre-seasoned, but I know that the original seasoned coating is all gone. I occasionally heat the pan in a gas grill with some lard in it to re-season. Then, I use the pan on the stove, but after a few uses, the pan gets really dry again and it starts sticking. I've seen some very well seasoned pans that have been used for years that look like they never have to be seasoned again.

I wonder what I am doing wrong? Also what do you cook in your cast iron pans? I usually only cook bacon, eggs, meats (no watery veggies for example.) I wash it very lightly in water (with no soap) and put a little lard once washed.

Thank you.

I wonder what I am doing wrong? I usually only cook bacon, eggs, meats (no watery veggies for example.) I wash it very lightly in water (with no soap) and put a little lard once washed.

Thank you.

I use my iron skillets every day, and this is the same as I do. But It works for me. I would guess but do not know that your initial seasoning is somehow incomplete. When you put it in the grill, is it well away from direct heat?

Ha

Ah, I guess the pan is away from direct heat but it's right on the grill (a gas grill, and the flame is below). And leave the skillet in (with the grill hood closed) for about 30 minutes with 450-500 degrees.

Ah, I guess the pan is away from direct heat but it's right on the grill (a gas grill, and the flame is below). And leave the skillet in (with the grill hood closed) for about 30 minutes with 450-500 degrees.

This is likely the problem. You want indirect heat, and not nearly so hot. At least this is what I do.

I haven't used mine in a while - moved to non-stick coatings - but my recollection is that I wiped the pan with cooking oil and put it in the oven for a while. I washed it with dish detergent but dried it immediately, usually on the stove for a minute, to make sure it was dry. Never rusted, worked well. I'm not sure the grill is the way to season it, but I'm just guessing.

Let me Google that for you:

seasoning cast iron - Google Search

Anyway, "seasoning" in this sense means filling up the pores in the metal so that the surface is very smooth. The more you use the pan (or pot) at high heat the more the pores are filled up with rock-solid material.

I don't worry about how much water I use in clean up nor how hard I scrub but I never ever get soap involved. I, then, dry the pan by putting it on very hot burner on highest setting) just until the water evaporates. (Having said that, I have been distracted and forgotten about it until the smoke and odor reached another part of the house -- this has happened many times with no damage that I am aware of but it always bothers me.)

I do coat the inside with cooking oil every once in awhile but that is probably a waste of time.

Thank you!

I like doing it in an outdoor grill so I won't heat up the house so much. What temperature would you say is more appropriate and for how long?

Thank you Ron.
You must have posted while I was constructing the last post.

I will follow the steps from what you googled. I didn't know I had to season it that long at such a low temperature. (I can do it while cooking chicken or something).

I haven't used mine in a while - moved to non-stick coatings -

You probably already know this but... pots and pans coated with this material cannot be used with high heat. Every manufacturer now issues cautions and warnings about that kind of use (it may even be required by law). The "non-stick" coatings are very carcinogenic and (duh) "non-stick" so it ends up in your stomach.

You probably already know this but... pots and pans coated with this material cannot be used with high heat. Every manufacturer now issues cautions and warnings about that kind of use (it may even be required by law). The "non-stick" coatings are very carcinogenic and (duh) "non-stick" so it ends up in your stomach.

Yes, thanks - I'm not talking teflon, I'm talking high-grade Calphalon.

I question whether the "no soap" rule is a myth. I use soap most of the time when I wash my iron pans. I don't soak them and just wash them up quick. It helps me get any extra grease out. It does not seem to have a negative effect on a well seasoned pan.

When seasoning I think it is a good idea to do it two or three times. Oil it up. Put it in the oven at 300 to 400 degree for an hour upside down. Cool it down. Repeat.

I always thought that my very old extra smooth iron was the best. But I think it was CalmLoki who mentioned using the new preseasoned pans, which have a coarser surface. He said they worked even better than the old smooth surfaced ones. So who knows.

I question whether the "no soap" rule is a myth..

I tend to agree with you... however, rust is a problem with iron and soap seems to promote that. So I just say "no soap" and hope nobody asks why.

Yes, thanks - I'm not talking teflon, I'm talking high-grade Calphalon.

Oh! Anodized aluminum. Same principle... less coarse than cast iron but still needs seasoning. (Yeah, it is done at the factory and harder to destroy but nevertheless.)

I do have a couple Calphlon, including a most wonderful Paella pan, along with a ton of Magnalite. I like anondized aluminum and, truth be known, I gravitate toward it but... there are certain foods (recipes?) that only cast iron can do justice to -- fried chicken and corn bread come to mind.

I always thought that my very old extra smooth iron was the best. But I think it was CalmLoki who mentioned using the new preseasoned pans, which have a coarser surface. He said they worked even better than the old smooth surfaced ones. So who knows.

Oh lord no - a neighbor expressed that theory on new pans, which i may have repeated, but I'm a fan of old Griswold and, to a lesser extent, Wagner. I find bacon is a good thing to cook first, then eggs or whatever.

found this regarding seasoning and cleaning: Cast Iron

Oh lord no - a neighbor expressed that theory on new pans, which i may have repeated, but I'm a fan of old Griswold and, to a lesser extent, Wagner. I find bacon is a good thing to cook first, then eggs or whatever.

Sorry for defaming you! :flowers:

Calmloki,

Thank you for the great article. A few things I was doing wrong - I need to do it longer, with less grease, upside down!

I use course salt and a paper towel to clean mine- I too stay away from soap. When it looks a bit dry, i rub a very ligt coating of vegetable oil, and wipe it away the best I can with a paper towel.

I have a good friend who is a fantastic dutch oven chef. He always cooks some sacrificial bacon prior to use, then uses his new cast iron to deep fry food several times before he will use it for anything else. He does use dish detergent to wash but always dries it thoroughly on the stove, coats it lightly with oil and heats it again (not quite to smoking). It is then cooled and put away.

My dad's process is very similar, but he does not use detergent.

I have a Lodge dutch oven that I have done the same with - works fine, stays seasoned with no trouble. I also have a knock-off from China...always have problems keeping that one seasoned properly, but it may be because it does not get enough use, but it could be inferior material.

R

I use course salt and a paper towel to clean mine- I too stay away from soap. When it looks a bit dry, i rub a very ligt coating of vegetable oil, and wipe it away the best I can with a paper towel.
Wow, this is a good thread. My cast iron pans, steel woks, and calphalon type pans have never been properly seasoned. Jack McGrew's article may get me back in business. I have found that heating one of these poorly seasoned pans up on the burner, dropping in a little oil and scrubbing it with sea salt will get a good single use out of the pan.

I have a good friend who is a fantastic dutch oven chef. He always cooks some sacrificial bacon prior to use, then uses his new cast iron to deep fry food several times before he will use it for anything else. He does use dish detergent to wash but always dries it thoroughly on the stove, coats it lightly with oil and heats it again (not quite to smoking). It is then cooled and put away.

My dad's process is very similar, but he does not use detergent.

I have a Lodge dutch oven that I have done the same with - works fine, stays seasoned with no trouble. I also have a knock-off from China...always have problems keeping that one seasoned properly, but it may be because it does not get enough use, but it could be inferior material.

R
I do the same and sometimes use this cookware:

Swiss Diamond

Back
Top Bottom