Cat pee problem

The Buckeye method is a good idea, and it seems (with mine at least) to sort of freeze them into stillness. I have an especially "clawy" calico that I use it on, but we call it the Kitty Vulcan Death Hold when we do it, and include some sci-fi sound effects at the same time.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I got to the point where I could pill my cat, more or less successfully. But then I discovered Pill Pockets and never looked back. Insert pill in treat, give to cat. My cat ADORES them and hasn't figured out, yet, that there's a pill inside. You can find them at any pet store.

WOW.... that video of Purron's really works!!!

I have now given two pills (just wanted to make sure the first one was not a fluke)... no major issue... the first time she was able to spit it up, but she was not fighting... so, I put it down again and got her to swallow...

Maybe I will look at the pill pockets.... to me it would be much easier if all you had to do was give it to her.... but, it does not seem that the clip hurts her at all....

Thanks for all the help....

Now all I have to do is try and figure out why she has decided to just lay in the litter box all day :facepalm: ....

Great news! I've never seen the "clip trick" before. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

FYI, none of my cats will touch a pill pocket, but I know other people who have had good luck with them. Depends on the cat, as usual.

I've had success with pill pockets before, but like Calico says it doesn't work with all cats. IIRC worked fine with my mom's cat not with mine.

Great news! I've never seen the "clip trick" before. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

FYI, none of my cats will touch a pill pocket, but I know other people who have had good luck with them. Depends on the cat, as usual.

I've had success with pill pockets before, but like Calico says it doesn't work with all cats. IIRC worked fine with my mom's cat not with mine.

I would think that for this one the pill pocket would not work.... after I gave her a pill tonight I gave her a treat... she just left it on the floor... our other cat came by and scarfed it down... so, she is a candidate :LOL:

The girl who is getting the pills is able to work her tongue and spit it up... so I have to push it down a bit and hold her mouth shut....

The girl who is getting the pills is able to work her tongue and spit it up... so I have to push it down a bit and hold her mouth shut....

Cool that the clip worked! I've never tried it. I don't think it would hurt her as long as the clip isn't to tight and is quickly removed.

Some things that have worked for me for those cats who spit the pill out:

- squirt a small amount of water in her mouth after pilling with an oral syringe.
- hold her mouth shut after pilling, then blow gently on her face. For some strange reason, this often results in a swallow reflex.
- use a "pill popper". This places the pill farther back so it's more likely to go down. Most vets have them or you can buy them at many pet supply stores.

Last edited:
I'm late to this discussion, but that "clip trick" is a riot! I'm also glad to hear that the pee problem is under control. We had a cat with that issue - we had had her for almost 10 years, and then suddenly she started peeing elsewhere. Hers was also a UTI, and the antibiotics cleared up the issue.

Our Murphy (see my avatar) has hyperthyroid and gets 1/2 pill twice a day. Fortunately it's crush-able and I just mix it in with a bit of her canned food (with lots of gravy) and she eats it with no problem. I count myself lucky that it's that easy.

Well, maybe I spoke to soon... this morning, the clip did not work like it did at first... she was able to struggle, just not as strongly as she had before... once I got the pill in her mouth she was able to fight her way from me (I have the scratches on my leg as proof)....

I do not know if it went down, but I can not find it on the floor or anywhere else...

I will still use this method for now... just a few more days to go....

Cool that the clip worked! I've never tried it. I don't think it would hurt her as long as the clip isn't to tight and is quickly removed.

Some things that have worked for me for those cats who spit the pill out:

- squirt a small amount of water in her mouth after pilling with an oral syringe.
- hold her mouth shut after pilling, then blow gently on her face. For some strange reason, this often results in a swallow reflex.
- use a "pill popper". This places the pill farther back so it's more likely to go down. Most vets have them or you can buy them at many pet supply stores.

Heck, we can not get anything into her mouth, even a syringe...

I tried the 'blow in nose' method.... does not work.... my wife says this cat has 'brain damage' :D

Attachments

• ninja.jpg
    ninja.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 5
once I got the pill in her mouth she was able to fight her way from me (I have the scratches on my leg as proof)....

A few more weeks of this and you may be a candidate for some leather motorcycle pants;)

Well, maybe I spoke to soon... this morning, the clip did not work like it did at first... she was able to struggle, just not as strongly as she had before... once I got the pill in her mouth she was able to fight her way from me (I have the scratches on my leg as proof)....

I do not know if it went down, but I can not find it on the floor or anywhere else...

I will still use this method for now... just a few more days to go....

You are a brave man putting her on your lap! Will she normally sit in your lap? Ours was a no-lap cat so we always had to leave her on the floor or the ottoman while we "worked" on her. She would be in nuclear mode even before the meds if we had tried to put her in our lap.

You are a brave man putting her on your lap! Will she normally sit in your lap? Ours was a no-lap cat so we always had to leave her on the floor or the ottoman while we "worked" on her. She would be in nuclear mode even before the meds if we had tried to put her in our lap.

Right now the only places she seems to want to be is in my lap (or on my chest if I am reclining... I mean, RIGHT under my chin).... on our bed (not normally allowed, but I let her yesterday) or in the litter box :mad:....

She is a very calm cat with me.... and the scratches were very minor... I used a towel before, but the clip seemed to work so I did not use one...

Right now our other cat is laying in front of the keyboard.... but trying to lay ON it... tough to type.... but she is asleep now.....

Right now the only places she seems to want to be is in my lap (or on my chest if I am reclining... I mean, RIGHT under my chin).... on our bed (not normally allowed, but I let her yesterday) or in the litter box :mad:....

She is a very calm cat with me.... and the scratches were very minor... I used a towel before, but the clip seemed to work so I did not use one...

Right now our other cat is laying in front of the keyboard.... but trying to lay ON it... tough to type.... but she is asleep now.....

Pictures please:D

Back
Top Bottom