Cat pee problem

Any comments/suggestions:confused:[/QUOTE]
Having same experience, if they follow humans then it age. UGU

Vinnie

Any comments/suggestions:confused:
Having same experience, if they follow humans then it age. UGU

Vinnie

Hi vinnie, welcome to the forum. Please stop by here and tell us a little about yourself :)

Might as well update....

She was away from the house for two days... when the wife and kids came back from a short trip they went out and found her and brought her home... she peed on a bag and then a towel we put under her when she slept...

Took her to the vet today and he said there were three things...

> She could have an infection.... but he could not get her to pee to check

> She could be doing it just to do it... if so, we would have to live with it and make adjustments

> She could have a sphincer (sp) problem.... but did not think so as it does not happen to cats that much...

SOOO, we have drugs to treat an infection... if it works, that was it.... if it does not, he said we would need to adjust.... without any kind of check, he ruled out diabetes since her eating and drinking habits have not changed... he felt around and said he did not think there was any cancer (I do not know how he could tell)....

Let's hope the drugs work....

He made a good call with the antibiotics. It is often easier for bets to treat what may be the problem than to wait for confirm from an unwilling patient. Let us know how that goes.

He made a good call with the antibiotics. It is often easier for bets to treat what may be the problem than to wait for confirm from an unwilling patient. Let us know how that goes.

Actually, I made the call..... I asked how much it would cost to do the test?.. about $27... how much for drugs?... about 25.... what other options are there? none....

Soooo, I can either take the chance with drugs for $25, or wait to confirm for $52 and in the end I will do the same thing.... easy decision for me...

Also, after posting last night I went downstairs and she had peed on a pillow and it flowed onto the couch again.... my mom was there, but did not see her do it.... my wife is getting very upset and is ready to ban the cat to the outside... for now, she gets to stay in the utility room as there are no cloth items there except for the bed we made for her.... BTW, no pee on that this morning....

How long does the antibiotic regime last? We used to wrap pills with a little flat cheese and squish it into a small ball shape which made administering the pills easier.

How long does the antibiotic regime last? We used to wrap pills with a little flat cheese and squish it into a small ball shape which made administering the pills easier.

I've tried this before with varying degrees of failure. Usually the cat would eat the food and leave the pill. That's why I prefer the liquid antibiotics. Squirt in mouth or mix in food.

I've tried this before with varying degrees of failure. Usually the cat would eat the food and leave the pill. That's why I prefer the liquid antibiotics. Squirt in mouth or mix in food.

+1

This seems like a wonderful opportunity to repost this classic.
[SIZE=+2]HOW TO GIVE YOUR CAT A PILL
IN TWENTY EASY STEPS
[/SIZE]

6 Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of closet. Call spouse from backyard. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7.Retrieve cat from curtain rod, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered Doulton figures from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

+2. Fortunately we have a vet pharmacy w/in driving distance as one of ours got an infection 3 days before vacation & I was able to p/u the meds the same day, get her used to them before the kitty sitter had to deal with it. They also overnight them for only $9. We dealt with meds for 3-4 years before our girls passed w/in 6 mos. of each other. Liquid and transdermal gel are the only way to go if you want to retain your sanity :LOL:.

Liquid and transdermal gel are the only way to go if you want to retain your sanity :LOL:.

Truth is, no cat lover is truly sane. My life is a testimony to this statement.

Last edited:

Yep, liquid is preferable, but if you end up with pills, the cheese made it easier for us. Sometimes you may have to massage their throats and hold their mouths loosely closed so they don't spit it out.

The vet said about 5 days, but gave us 7 days of pills....

We have already used one pill up on food that the cat refuses to eat.... even leaving that food as the ONLY food, she still refuses to eat it after 24 hours...

We are now using the 'force the pill down the throat' method, with varying degrees of success.... this mornings pill we thought had gone down because we say her licking etc. which I read was a sign she swallowed it.... only to have her cough it back up a minute later....

I wish I knew about the liquid, I would have gone that way if I had only known.... heck, my wife wanted to have shots....

The vet said about 5 days, but gave us 7 days of pills....

Depending on the type of infection, she may need a longer regimen. I remembered when one of ours started peeing outside the box, the regular urine tests showed nothing...they grew a culture and it was an e-coli infection. IIRC she was on 2 10 or 14 day regimens before the infection was licked. In her later years she did the same thing but after ruling out infections, senility/dementia was diagnosed.

Just my 2 cents, but I'm very surprised your vet didn't recommend urine tests.

Depending on the type of infection, she may need a longer regimen. I remembered when one of ours started peeing outside the box, the regular urine tests showed nothing...they grew a culture and it was an e-coli infection. IIRC she was on 2 10 or 14 day regimens before the infection was licked. In her later years she did the same thing but after ruling out infections, senility/dementia was diagnosed.

Just my 2 cents, but I'm very surprised your vet didn't recommend urine tests.

He tried to get a sample when we were in there.... but the cat did not cooperate... he said we should get one, but when I asked if it would make a difference, he seemed to indicate it would not if she had an infection... giving her the meds did not seem to be bad if she did not... it was my decision to go the way we are....

We will try this and see what happens... so far, she seems to be back to the litter box as we have her there when we are not with her.... so we still would not have a sample for him to check...

Texas Proud said:
He tried to get a sample when we were in there.... but the cat did not cooperate... he said we should get one, but when I asked if it would make a difference, he seemed to indicate it would not if she had an infection... giving her the meds did not seem to be bad if she did not... it was my decision to go the way we are....

We will try this and see what happens... so far, she seems to be back to the litter box as we have her there when we are not with her.... so we still would not have a sample for him to check...

If it does come to him definitely needing a sample, there is some special litter that he should have for you to use that "holds" the liquid in it so they can test it. My sister has used it before, but I'm not sure of the name. Her vet gave it to her.

If it does come to him definitely needing a sample, there is some special litter that he should have for you to use that "holds" the liquid in it so they can test it. My sister has used it before, but I'm not sure of the name. Her vet gave it to her.

When my vet had difficulty getting urine samples from one of my cats, she used a product called Nosorb. It is like little pellets, or beads, and it does not absorb the urine, so the vet was able to get a sample.

Good luck, and I hope the pills do the trick.

My former vet preferred to extract the urine rather than have me bring in a sample due to potential contamination of my sample. I didn't like the idea at first and resisted, but gave in after a few times.

My former vet preferred to extract the urine rather than have me bring in a sample due to potential contamination of my sample. I didn't like the idea at first and resisted, but gave in after a few times.

And how did he extract:confused: I saw him squeezing the cat and thought that is what he was trying to do.....

And how did he extract:confused: I saw him squeezing the cat and thought that is what he was trying to do.....

Like blood...they put a needle into the bladder and voila, they have uncontaminated urine. There must be some pee in the bladder, of course.

Like blood...they put a needle into the bladder and voila, they have uncontaminated urine. There must be some pee in the bladder, of course.

Yup. My vet does this. Not painful for the cat and not expensive for me.

Yup. My vet does this. Not painful for the cat and not expensive for me.

Interesting..... maybe I do not have the best vet....

He was recommended by my DS who used him for over 20 years...

Texas, many older vets, like older docs, tend to keep doing what they are doing, rather than newer techniques or treatments. My longtime vet is in his 70s now, but he's always added younger associates and I felt that kept his practice fresher than it might have been otherwise.
However, two of his former associates just opened up their own practice and I've moved with them, because I feel like the older vet's practice has become somewhat of a revolving door for younger associates.

Another observation... ...over the years, our girls had a few infections, but I don't recall less than 10 or 14 days of antibiotics. More recently, one of our girls was put on antibiotics for 'just in case' (can't find reason for occasional blood in stool) and it was for 10 days.

Another observation... ...over the years, our girls had a few infections, but I don't recall less than 10 or 14 days of antibiotics. More recently, one of our girls was put on antibiotics for 'just in case' (can't find reason for occasional blood in stool) and it was for 10 days.

I think I misspoke earlier in the thread.... he did not give me 5 days of medication, but 14 days.... he said we should see results in 5 days...

Now that my wife and kids have left for a vacation, I am the lucky one who has to give her the pills without any help... it does NOT look good for me...

But, she does seem to have recovered and is now going to the litter box... so the results so far look promising...

I think I misspoke earlier in the thread.... he did not give me 5 days of medication, but 14 days.... he said we should see results in 5 days...

Now that my wife and kids have left for a vacation, I am the lucky one who has to give her the pills without any help... it does NOT look good for me...

But, she does seem to have recovered and is now going to the litter box... so the results so far look promising...

Hang in there baby. The wounds will heal quickly and, if necessary, you can borrow some of her antibiotics....;-)

Back
Top Bottom