Census 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Elon Musk fills his out truthfully and accurately. He is an African American (born in South Africa, legal US citizen).

I think the question is how do you self identify.... Martian wasn't on the list, so I picked the closest thing.. ;)

But then they ask who lives here as of April 1st. Well how can I be truthful when I can't know for certain what the answer is? Don't bug me to turn it in before April 1st. I will answer truthfully after April 1st, when I will know the answer for certain.
Well for me, I have a crystal ball, which I sent out for polishing, so I could get this answer correct, unfortunately the crystal ball was in transit during the stock market drop, so I missed seeing that :facepalm:
However, it was back today, so I know I'll be here April 1st. like most fools ;)

I think the question is how do you self identify.... Martian wasn't on the list, so I picked the closest thing.. ;)

I answered the question, reluctantly. But it is the one that bothers me the most. Why does it matter?

OTOH there is a question I WOULD ask, but it has been banned.

Got 2 letters to "resident" to go on line to complete census 2020. How would a dinosaur like me know if this is a scam? Looks official and I'm sure there is a web site if I go on line.

The letter suggested that I had already received "instructions" for the 2020 Census. If I did, I don't recall it.

Anyone know how to verify the web address?

Got 2 letters to "resident" to go on line to complete census 2020. How would a dinosaur like me know if this is a scam? Looks official and I'm sure there is a web site if I go on line.

The letter suggested that I had already received "instructions" for the 2020 Census. If I did, I don't recall it.

The real thing will have a code you need to enter which will ask you if you are at your address. It will then ask you a few questions about your household.

A scam will take you thru a similar process and then ask you for your SSN to prove you are who you say you are. Then it will ask you for your bank login credentials so it can send you a cash reward for being such a great citizen. ;)

If it ends in ".gov", it's a US government site.

The legit address is "https://my2020census.gov/". Type it in yourself to avoid any potential problems with bad links. Click on Start Questionnaire then enter the 12 character code that is on the letters you received.

Generally, you can assume that any paper letter that asks you to type in a URL ending in .gov is not a scam. You can also look at the postage area on the mailings and verify that it's an official mailing rather than some kind of prepaid marketing mail.

I got the short version and was only couple minutes to fill out. I was also kind of miffed about why it needs more info than simple race designation, i.e white. What does it matter what ancestry from?? Sort of by definition, white means European.

I got the short version and was only couple minutes to fill out. I was also kind of miffed about why it needs more info than simple race designation, i.e white. What does it matter what ancestry from?? Sort of by definition, white means European.

Agreed. I went with “human” as my write in choice.

In my serious mode, it's funny how no one wants the gov't to know their stuff, but we (almost) all want emergency help...like in oh say a global pandemic?
I for one am comfortable with the government knowing whatever they want about me. It’s the private enterprises that take our personal information at every opportunity and monetize/share it that I object to. I may be wrong, but I’m thinking the latter bothers more people than the former (government).

I did our 2020 census online a couple days ago. I don’t know why they need some of the info, maybe a wish list from our Congresscritters.

Not only that, but really White is not a race. Caucasian is.

But most folks that have done a DNA test are now totally confused as to what to answer, since many people find out they are not pure "whatever".

I filled ours out the day we got it (#CoronaBoredom) and already got a letter to "Resident" reminding me to complete the survey.

Went online to see the questions, but mostly a bunch of videos (not a good format for text, IMO). Had to dig a bit, found it:

https://2020census.gov/en/about-questions.html

Now I remember ranting about these two questions, makes no sense at all:

1. How many people were living or staying in this house, apartment, or mobile home on April 1, 2020?

Here, you'll count everyone living and sleeping in your home most of the time, including young children, roommates, and friends and family members who are living with you, even temporarily.

Why we ask this question: This helps us count the entire U.S. population and ensures that we count people where they live most of the time as of Census Day (April 1, 2020).

Highlighted view of the paper Census questionnaire that asks if there are any additional people living in this residence.

2. Were there any additional people staying here on April 1, 2020, that you did not include in Question 1?

Mark all that apply: Children, related or unrelated, such as newborn babies, grandchildren, or foster children; relatives, such as adult children, cousins, or in-laws; nonrelatives, such as roommates or live-in babysitters, and people staying here temporarily.

Why we ask this question: The goal of the 2020 Census is to count everyone just once and in the right place. We want to ensure that everyone in your home who should be counted is counted—including newborns, roommates, and those who may be staying with you temporarily.

Shouldn't Q2 just say "Go back and make sure you read Q1"? To me, it's just confusing to ask the same Q twice. I keep expecting there to be a difference, but I don't see any.

I guess it just makes the thing look poorly thought out, and it shouldn't be.

-ERD50

I was surprised at how little information they wanted. Even Frank, who ALWAYS has resented the Census information requests in the past, didn't mind filling it out this time.

Or maybe it's just that we are so bored sitting here at home, that anything new in our lives was extremely welcome. :D

I didn't know what to say about my ethnicity/heritage since my family is Scottish/Irish/English. But mostly Scottish, so I just put that and omitted all the rest.

I got the letter with code on Friday and filled out/submitted the short online form this morning (Sunday).

I agree that the question about origin isn’t as clear cut as the form seems to assume. I’m one of many people whose ancestors are from different countries. I just picked the country associated with my surname.

I got the letter with code on Friday and filled out/submitted the short online form this morning (Sunday).

I agree that the question about origin isn’t as clear cut as the form seems to assume. I’m one of many people whose ancestors are from different countries. I just picked the country associated with my surname.

Me, too. I'm one of those "Mc-people", and my maiden name was a Mc name. I have mostly Scottish ancestry as well, but with a little Irish and English thrown in a few generations back. I didn't mention the Irish and English fractions to the census.

Me, too. I'm one of those "Mc-people", and my maiden name was a Mc name. I have mostly Scottish ancestry as well, but with a little Irish and English thrown in a few generations back. I didn't mention the Irish and English fractions to the census.

My last name is a bit unusual and people with it are mostly scattered around the Illinois/Wisconsin/Michigan area. The only time I saw it elsewhere was a contestant in a TV reality show (thankfully not “The Apprentice” - ha!)

I thought the question was strange, but it was easy for me. All my father's forebears, as far back as we can trace them, were from one country, and the same for my mother, in a different country. So I just put down both countries and the form was fine with that. But with European ancestry like mine, I think this situation would exist mainly for those whose ancestors immigrated a long time ago. Mine, on both sides, came to this country in the mid 19th century. My parents were the first ones who broke the tradition by marrying an immigrant descendant from a different country. Seems to me that multiple ancestral backgrounds must be far more common these days, so many people would have to put a lot of information into that census blank if they wanted to be really specific. Can't see any need for that.

I just filled it out as usual w/o any need to be creative.

Thanks to all who replied regarding my dinosaur question. I knew I came to the right place! You folks are awesome.:flowers:

I said "American" for me and DW.

My paternal ancestor immigrated from England in 1632. OTOH, my maternal grandfather was from Italy about 1903 when he was a baby.

And there is French by way of Canada and Irish. Or so I was told, who knows - everyone wants to be Irish!

The other annoying thing was trying to get my son counted. He is going o be staying with us on April 1 but normally lives away at college. Instructions say to NOT include him. But his college has announced that as a result of the virus, students should stay away. He is a senior. He will never return to that place. So he should definitely be counted with us, or never get counted.
I wonder if a messed up census is not what some people in power really wanted after all.

The other annoying thing was trying to get my son counted. He is going o be staying with us on April 1 but normally lives away at college. Instructions say to NOT include him. But his college has announced that as a result of the virus, students should stay away. He is a senior. He will never return to that place. So he should definitely be counted with us, or never get counted.
I wonder if a messed up census is not what some people in power really wanted after all.

If my son was on the way home to stay I would just report him as a member of my household. Common sense doesn’t require you to discount a family member because he is in the car right now. :)

On a serious note, why does the government need to know anything except how many citizens and legal residents exist in each political district

I don't recall 'legal' as one of the questions.

The census is required to talley all residents. A citizenship question was not allowed because it might chill responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom