Central Air Conditioners

JP.mpls

Full time employment: Posting here.
I'm considering a new central air conditioner for my Florida townhome.

Two questions:
- How long have you gotten a central air conditioner to last in a fairly hot environment? Florida/Arizona etc.
Mine is 11 years old, and I've been told that is towards the end of it's life for Florida use.
I don't want it to fail right in the middle of summer, when I'm out of town. That is why I'm considering being proactive on the replacement.

- Any manufacturers you have had good luck with?
I was ready to buy a Lennox through Costco, and then read some not very good on line reviews. I'm not sure if I can trust on line reviews in general, that is why I'm asking this forum.

Thanks, JP

Last edited:
This is an excellent question and I am hoping to learn more about this as well, hoping some of you will know the answers.

We have a fairly old unit and I've been wondering when it will be time. It still works just fine for now though.

I don't know about Florida, but did do research when we needed to replace our AC last summer.

Trane and Lennox were considered good brands. But, the best info I learned doing my research is that finding a good contractor is even more important than the hardware brand.

EDIT: We did get a Lennox using a local contractor that had great reviews and we've been very satisfied. I had also called the Lennox contractor referred by Costco and found him to be very sketchy. So much so, that not only did we not use him, but I also sent Costco's Law Dept a detailed email about this guy's sales tactics. I got a call from one of their attorneys following up on my note and thanking me for bringing it to their attention.

Last edited:
I live in Tampa Florida.
We had to replace our 13 yr old central air A/C this year. The cost was 7k and change.
The new units IIRC must have at least a 16 SEER rating.
We purchased an American Standard model, which is considered one of the better ones.
Trane and Carrier are also considered good models.
We run the unit around 9 months a year.

We just replaced our central a/c unit last month. Live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida.

The previous unit lasted about 15 years. Several minor repairs along the way, and one major repair about 5 years ago when we replaced a leaking cooling coil.

We discovered another slow leak somewhere in the system in August of this year. Rather than spend the money to repair such an old system, which was already past the typical end of life, we chose to replace it.

When you replace your system, be sure to check with your power company first. Many power companies offer rebates to install energy efficient units.

Also, check to see if any federal or state tax credits are available. Some federal tax credits expire at the end of 2020. Not sure if they will be extended into the future.

Good luck!

I wouldn't proactively replace it. If you think you'll save money by doing it "off season", I've tested that theory, and it didn't hold water for me. In other words, I had an A/C that was "on it's last legs" for many years. It was finally replaced recently, after limping along for 24 years. But for the last 4 of those years, I'd get quotes to replace, both in the first hot spell, the first cold spell, and in the "open the windows" spring and fall (live in NC). There wasn't any "signal" that I could detect in the price. So as long as you can get an indication your A/C failed, you can just "call the man" and have it fixed when it breaks. If you're not there when it breaks, no discomfort. If you are there when it breaks, you put up with a few days of discomfort. In my case, I have two units (upstairs / downstairs), so even if one breaks, the other can keep it from getting unbearable.

Last edited:
I don't understand how someone can say a HVAC unit is near its end of life if it still works. And 11 years old is not especially old for a regular central a/c unit. I would continue to run an a/c unit until it fails.

Package A/C units are big units outside the house with sheet metal going through the foundation and into the duct system. They may have a 10-12 year lifespan--shorter than a central a/c unit with an inside air handler.

I have a 1996 model Trane XL1200 3 ton heat pump unit that just had the compressor lock up. That's 24 years use. The HVAC guy last week quoted me $5300 for a mid line unit. A new compressor and air handler costs about $2300 without labor. I find a $3,000 profit excessive on a simple replacement. Second opinions are being gotten this week.

The reputation of central air conditioner brands is all over the place. I cannot help you there.

While not in Florida (we are in VA), we had a couple of central heat pumps which were failing (one not working, the other under protest), and replaced both of them. I did a fair bit of research and checked some online forums frequented by professional HVAC techs along with other sources. We decided to go with TRANE units as they for us had the best reputation for reliability.

I do agree that getting the right dealer/installer is critical. I had 3 or 4 vendors representing different brands (Trane, Lennox, Carrier and perhaps another). Most were professional but one guy (who was a tech, not a sales guy) who came over to look at our units I swear was tripping on drugs. And this was the firm that did the original install ten years earlier.

I found out from my builder/contractor that the HVAC industry (installers/dealers) has a reputation for not attracting the best talent. Based on my experience I tend to agree (I have other stories).

I am also a big advocate of annual or semi-annual preventative maintenance. Over the last few years we have been able to detect some anomalies and got them addressed through this process which we hope will prolong the life of the system. I know some folks have differing opinions on this but for us it has already paid for itself.

central AC's don't just die and need to be fully replaced, not all of a sudden. Parts go, or blow via surges, but a lot of that can be mitigated with maintenance. And in FL, you want an AC maintenance company you know and can call. Even outside of the summer months it can be really uncomfortable if your AC has an outage. You don't want to be googling people when you have an issue.

11 years old for "time to replace" sounds like it was written by someone who wants to sell AC's. 20? Sure, you're on borrowed time.

More likely than a complete failure, you'll find eventually the unit just doesn't cool the house as well as it did.

Ours is a Rheem. I think the best way to shop is to by the correct size/specs for your space.

I don't understand how someone can say a HVAC unit is near its end of life if it still works. And 11 years old is not especially old for a regular central a/c unit. I would continue to run an a/c unit until it fails.

I agree. Even with the brutal South Fl weather a unit can last longer than 12 years, and as long as the compressor works, most other repairs are worth the expense.

One challenge is A/C repairs can be very expensive, and when the unit fails in 105 degree on a late Friday August afternoon, weekend rates are abusive and waiting until Monday is tough. In my area many HVAC companies that do sales and maintenance also offer maintenance plans that include some cleaning and inspection but also give low / preferred rates and guaranteed response time. This might be a reasonable option for someone with an older unit.

Look for an extended Parts & Labor Warranty

I purchased a 10-year P&L manufacturer's warranty on my double HVAC system. This warranty saved me the entire cost of the system over 10 years - 4 replaced evaporator coils (manufacturing defect), a compressor and air handler blower and controller.

Last edited:
I replaced a unit that was about 20 years old... it had a motor going out and the cost of a new motor etc was over $1000... yes, highway robbery but I was not going to do it myself...

It was a Trane and replaced with Trane... I got a high end one that is variable speed and split the house, upstairs and downstairs... works great... cost like $11k or $12K...

In our area (Bradenton), 10-15 years is considered a good run. Even less if you purchase a new Lenar Builder (or other big mass-producer companies) home. They apparently have "contractor-grade" HVAC, similar to the other crappy installed appliances, designed to last less that a decade.

I lived in the same patio home (built 1970) in Phoenix for thirty years. Gas pack on the roof. Had new Trane installed in 1997 after the old inefficient system failed and was too costly to repair. By 2016, we had nursed that Trane system through several years with a miniscule leak. Because the refrigerant was obsolete and hard to get, recharges were getting very expensive and the repair of the leak would be costly with no idea of how long the compressor and other key parts would last. Had another high end Trane installed after getting three quotes and deciding on the middle one. Highly rated installer. Unfortunately, they did a poor job which might not have been caught immediately if I hadn't personally inspected the install and insisted it be redone properly. Went with a third party warranty through the dealer. Just before putting the home on the market after moving in 2019, the AC failed in mid-August. Finally got the installer out to repair only to find the warranty company had folded. The installer agree to repair the system (minor replacement of a fan motor) at no cost. Home sold in October and I don't know if buyer has had any issues. I think newer HVAC systems are just like home appliances: they are pushed to be more efficient and less costly and that doesn't correlate to increased longevity, in fact, probably the opposite.

All that said, I would recommend getting an extended warranty for parts and labor but with the manufacturer behind it not a third party. BTW, Trane and American Standard are badge engineered variants of the same HVACs. Other manufacturers are also good and as someone has said, the quality of the installer may be paramount. Unfortunately, you can't rely completely on an installer's reputation: the two bozos who installed mine were recent hires at the firm and were let go soon after.

.......... Over the last few years we have been able to detect some anomalies and got them addressed through this process which we hope will prolong the life of the system...........
I'd be interested in hearing what type of anomalies you found.

I replaced the builder unit after 30 years here in the central valley of CA. But we don't have salt air. The replacement is still going strong after 10.

We just replaced the entire 12 year old electric central air/heat system in our house last month... The old (original) system was still working but we had to have a few minor repairs done in the past few years (starter/run caps, fan) and I didn't want to push my luck with another hot Texas summer coming in a ~few months... I did some research between heat pumps and conventional air/heat... Finally decided on a conventional Amana system after considering price/ratings/warranty. So far, so good!

Last edited:
I just replaced one. It was a Lennox about 25 years old. It worked fine, but we had to move it to make room for an addition and the cost to upgrade it didn't justify it so we upgraded furnace & AC at the same time. The furnace was also in need of updating.

My HVAC man put in the old Lennox 25 years ago and told me that he dropped the Lennox line a couple years ago. He can't get reliable service from them anymore. He used to sell them exclusively but dropped them last year. He said one of their plants was destroyed in a tornado and they haven't recovered yet and he got tired of waiting for parts. He installed a Ruud in my house and said he is very satisfied with their service.

I live in MN and the furnace portion is much more important than the AC. I've learned that most equipment is good when it works, and it all breaks. You buy based on who can service it.

I paid under $6,000 for a furnace & AC installed in an 1800 sq. ft home. Maybe southern climates need a better AC than the one I put in.

I would never replace a 10 year old unit that was still working.

I have lived in Florida for almost 60 years. I have been in my present home for the past 37 years and have gone through 3 heat pumps. Even buying some of the best on the market they have only last 10-12 years. But I live in Florida about 2 blocks from the ocean. If you live inland some people have claimed theirs last twice that time. The first thing to go in Florida is usually the transfer fins on the outside unit coils. Most fins are made of aluminum that just corrode and go to powder in the salt air and fall of the coil around that time. Now you are going to have a big monthly electric bill due to the inefficiency. Replacing these coils will cost upwards of $2400 including labor. I would rather replace the entire Heat Pump than put new coils on a 10-12 year old unit that has a limited life span left. If there was anything other than what I described or a broken condenser it may be worth trying to extend the life of the old unit a little longer.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I live 150 miles from the ocean, in an area where an A/C system is in use 7+ months of the year for cooling. If it is a heat pump system the compressor is in use at least 10 months of the year.

After living here for more than 40 years my experience is a traditional central A/C unit will last 15-18 years while a heat pump system usually doesn't go much beyond 12 years. My current heat pump system just passed the 10 year mark and I had to have the coil replaced last year. I will be fortunate to get another two summers out of it.

Last edited:
I live in Atlanta with hot humid summers and have two systems, upstairs and a downstairs unit. My downstairs unit is 29 years old as I moved in 29 years and two day ago. I am the original owner of my home. The upstairs furnace and AC unit were replaced 8 years ago as they just couldn't keep up and a new blower motor was going to run me $1100. I opted to replace the 20 year old system instead and had cold air returns added to help airflow.

The downstairs system just keeps humming along, an old Comfortmaker system. Hardly any service on it and mostly done myself the last couple of years. I almost replaced the entire system when the repair service wanted $800 plus labor to replace a control board two years ago but I found one online for $150 and did it myself. I'm sure it won't be long though.

I have central A/C. When I bought this house in 2015, the A/C compressor was already 23 years old and my house inspector told me that I'd need to replace it soon. The coolant that was used in it is no longer legal/available.

So, in 2016 I got my entire HVAC system replaced, everything except for the ducts. They even put in a new thermostat. My new HVAC is a Trane and it is the best one I have ever had in my entire life, and that includes several well known and respected name brands. But for me, well, I am totally sold on Trane. So was F when he saw how well it works, and he got his whole HVAC system replaced with a Trane (by the same A/C guys) the year after I got mine.

The cost for me was $7,200 which included labor and everything else, for a 1500 sf home.

We live 2 blocks from the ocean in Florida. Have a two zone AC system with separate systems for bedrooms and living.

Builders grade Jantrol lasted a suprising 9 and 11 years. Replaced first one with a Trane - mistake. Horrible air handler, and then leaked after about 8 years. Replaced the Trane with a Rheem. Same for second system - Lennox. No problems with Rheem or Lennox.

My central air is at least 20 years old - it was here when I moved here. It's worked flawlessly, but I'm not in Florida, and I'm very comfortable at 80 degrees while some people cool their homes down to 70, so there are many variables in how long it will last. I won't replace mine proactively. I have a Window unit for emergency backup because when it goes, it will likely be sudden and not worth fixing. Then I'll be looking at fork-lifting the entire furnace/central air. I've done repairs on the furnace myself, including replacing my heat exchanger, igniter (a few times), control board (ended up wasn't bad), and gas valve, also the thermostat, but it's a 1993 93% efficient model, which I'll go ahead and replace when the AC goes.

Last edited:
Atmsmshr,
A recommended installer wants to sell me a Rheem. I'm considering this, but possibly waiting until my unit fails.
He said most brands use the same main component suppliers (coil and compressor).
The premium brands use proprietary components that are more expensive, and harder to get.
Thanks for telling me the Rheem unit seems to be holding up.
I can find negative reviews on basically every brand. Including Rheem and the higher priced Lennox being sold through Costco.
JP
We live 2 blocks from the ocean in Florida. Have a two zone AC system with separate systems for bedrooms and living.

Builders grade Jantrol lasted a suprising 9 and 11 years. Replaced first one with a Trane - mistake. Horrible air handler, and then leaked after about 8 years. Replaced the Trane with a Rheem. Same for second system - Lennox. No problems with Rheem or Lennox.

Back
Top Bottom