Changes As Kids Leave Home?

yakers

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I didn't expect it to work this way. DW & I have 2 boys. Older one left for college many years ago, came back for a bit went to Jr college and then left again & has done a pretty good (but slow) job of getting the BA & MA & job & wife & our grandchild(!). Younger son is now a senior in high school and I was expecting to feel the separation next year when he goes off to college. But it is happening now as there is one significant change, younger son got a car for regular use unlike older boy. YS has, since 3 yrs old and in child care, commuted to school with me on my way to work. Now I see him for 20 minutes in the morning and at night. I know he's around, I see the evidence in the refrigerator. But this is an unexpected mental transition.

Anyone else find the last kid out the door is different than the first kid out the door?

I assume the last kid out also changes retirement plans significantly.

I understand your loss.

I hated it when both my sons left. When my younger left my wife was already gone, so it did hit harder. He knew I would miss him, and very lovingly tried to help me with it.

I see them a lot and IM on and off almost every day. Also, I still see my wife a lot too; just not in my house very often.

Ha

My deal was a bit different as I was "out the door" before the last kid left :)

Anyway, it was unexpectedly hard on me not having my kids around.
After my first divorce I was living in Michigan and one morning I was
watching the little kids get on their school bus, with tears as big as golf balls rolling down my cheeks. Missed my kids that badly. Soooooooooo
I moved back to Illinois to be closer. That was 1998. Now, I hardly
see them in person, although in their defense none of them live that near
any more. Irony?

JG

Back
Top Bottom