Join Early Retirement Today

Chest Freezer
Old 07-17-2020, 05:27 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Chest Freezer

Anyone know why nobody has chest freezers available to sell. You can find other large appliances (washing machines, dish washers, refrigerators, etc.) but no chest freezers. I check everywhere like Home Depot, Lowes, Best Buy, even Costco and some local independent large appliance stores. They all say they probably won't get any until the new year. I even checked with a restaurant supply store but no luck. I have been looking since February.

Befuddled!

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2020, 05:34 PM   #2

Have you checked Amazon? They seem to have a variety in stock.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:35 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This is part of the grocery hoarding. Gotta have a freezer to keep the stuff you buy. I would love to replace my upright freezer, but I know that isn't happening. Defrosted the bastard last night and it puked melt water all over the floor.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Defrosted the bastard last night and it puked melt water all over the floor.

I have a little 6 cu ft upright freezer, and when I defrost it I use a few large pots of hot water and wait about 15 minutes.
That loosens the ice so I can take it out in sheets with very little melt water.
I use a plastic spatula to help it
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:49 PM   #5

Wim Hof
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Wim Hof
Wim Hof, also known as The Iceman, is a Dutch extreme athlete noted for his ability to withstand freezing temperatures. He has set Guinness world records for swimming under ice and prolonged full-body contact with ice, and still holds the record for a barefoot half-marathon on ice and snow
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:37 PM   #7

And his followers buy chest freezers to take polar plunges (to exercise their endothelial cells).
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:49 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Anyone know why nobody has chest freezers available to sell....
People still preparing for the apocalypse .

The bright side is seems the toilet paper shortage has let up.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:30 PM   #9

if you're in the Chicago metro area check at ABT.COM. their website indicates they have chest freezers in stock.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:14 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

As said above, it's people panic buying and/or realizing the need to keep more than two weeks of food on hand. Add to that China not shipping anything for a while and us not accepting deliveries (cargo boxes held, unopened, at port in CA for fear of COVID).

On two other sites I visit, people can't get replacements for their regular fridges that have simply died unless they take scratch & dent things, and any orders don't have delivery dates sooner than mid-September. "Word on the street" is that after Labor Day, things should get better.
always_learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:14 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

This article pretty much sums it up: https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/07/...g-lists-6/amp/

We bought a new 16 cubic foot chest freezer online from Lowe's in March and it kept getting delayed due to the pandemic and was finally delivered yesterday. This one: https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Garage-R...ite/1000533557
If you were to buy this one now, it looks like delivery will be no earlier than mid October. It's made in China, but appears to be well made and has good reviews.

When I just checked Lowe's they do have a few in store purchase freezers listed.
NateW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:14 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

All the chest freezers were sold out when we were looking but my wife is clever and a couple months ago we got a (not Energy Star rated) glass topped ice cream display freezer in our garage. Works great, and seeing into it encourages us to use the things in it rather than forgetting about them (hmm, perhaps I should go downstairs and grab a mint+cacao smoothie to blend up).
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:29 PM   #13

Freezers have been hard to find since about March/April. It's all about people being fearful of not being able to find meat and other frozen foods at the stores due to the virus. When these items are available, people are buying them in quantity and filling up their freezers.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:39 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
Freezers have been hard to find since about March/April. It's all about people being fearful of not being able to find meat and other frozen foods at the stores due to the virus. When these items are available, people are buying them in quantity and filling up their freezers.
Yup. Add in a little supply chain trouble, and voila: enduring shortage.

I haven't looked in a bit, but mason jars, lids, and rings were scarce. Wonder if it is hard to buy a pressure canner?

- George Orwell

Old 07-20-2020, 06:43 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I am surprised that people do not have frost free freezers...

Mine is VERY old and is frost free....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:53 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

A lot of chest freezers are not. My upright is probably from the Reagan administration.

- George Orwell

Old 07-20-2020, 07:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

Frost-free is not good for long term food storage. That's because the freezer automatically periodically warms up to over 32 degrees to melt the accumulated ice on the walls and floor. That water is drained off and the temperature then drops again.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:30 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yup. Add in a little supply chain trouble, and voila: enduring shortage.

I haven't looked in a bit, but mason jars, lids, and rings were scarce. Wonder if it is hard to buy a pressure canner?
Last week I purchased 4 cases of 12, quart size, Ball "smooth side" regular mouth canning jars with rings and lids. Got them from Target and I believe they were a little over $10 a case, free delivery. I also ordered Ball standard size lids from Walmart, to be picked up tomorrow with curb side grocery order. It's possible they won't be included in the order, but I'm hopeful.

A couple months earlier I was able to get delivered an inexpensive hot water bath 7 quart canner from Walmart. This is for peaches and possibly tomatoes, which are acidic enough to safely can without a pressure canner.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:45 PM   #19

A couple of years ago I bought a 5.0 cf Insignia chest freezer from Best Buy. They loaded it in the SUV and I got some help to get it into the house. I paid $99 on sale for it. Today I checked and the freezer is in stock in a couple of fairly local stores. It's now priced at $190 and you can get it delivered here for $70.

The freezer is basic but it gets the job done. Perfect for two or three people and good for stocking up on sale items. Might not get half a pig in it, but probably fine for most small households.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:46 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
A lot of chest freezers are not. My upright is probably from the Reagan administration.
I also have a 8 cubic foot upright freezer, manual defrost, from the Clinton era. Made May, 1995. This is just about the last year the super ozone depleting R-12, dichlorodifluoromethane refrigerant was used. Here is a picture of it's data sticker.

The next generation of freezers used R-134a refrigerant and now that is changing. Our new freezer uses isobutane refrigerant (R600a) which is flamible. Also included is a picture of the warning label on the new freezer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200719_163432051.jpg (293.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200719_163304401.jpg (486.6 KB, 38 views)