Christmas Newsletters--Bah! Humbug!

I love getting personal letters but these newsletters I am talking about are not personal at all--they are photocopied letters, usually not even signed and they are mailed or (more often) emailed to many people (maybe a hundred or more). These really are a first world invention.

I don't know of anyone who does not have access to some sort of phone. Personally I would much rather have a phone call than one of these photocopied newsletters.

I see. I apologize, thank you for the clarification. I would agree on the multi-page newsletters. No one's life is that interesting :) . We keep ours to what can fit on the back of a 4 x 8 card (the front has 4-5 pictures), and leave room to add a personal note for the recipient.

I once sent one out detailing how "young Anthony continues his downward spiral, academically", and "I continue to find new and innovative ways to invest unwisely" etc. etc. Only about half of the recipients realized I was joking. Well, thought I was joking. A few sent money. That was handy.

Now that is a different kind of Christmas Newsletter--a joke letter. I think would like that!

Too bad we have already sent ours out... 2020 would have been the perfect year for a letter of everything gone wrong.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 160
In 1975, my first year out of college, I started sending cards to friends and family with a handwritten letter in each. I'm still doing that. The list has changed, of course, but I sent 32 this year. I've skipped buying cards (most made in China anyway) and now send a letter and a page of pictures taken throughout the year- my travels, the grandkids, etc. Every year a couple of people tell me how much they look forward to them and that they pass them around to other family members. My family culture is that adults don't buy Christmas presents for other adults (maybe spouses) and this is a refreshing difference from the frantic spending so many other people are doing right now.

I agree on the photocopied or e-mailed "one-size-fits-all" letter. They skip over any trials you've had (and I'm close enough to some people I want to knw when they're having a hard time) and refer to people I don't know.

Trombone Al always did the best Christmas letter . I really miss his humorous take on things.

I never have much liked the Christmas "Newsletters" I receive from friends (you know, the letters that detail all the great things they have done this year, all the stuff they bought, all the great awards the kids and grandkids have won). This year I seem to be receiving more than usual--I guess people have more time to write out these jewels. It is especially grating to me this year--when we are suppose to be staying home and being safe to see people brag about all the traveling they have done, all the parties and family get togethers, all the restaurant meals, etc.

Thanks for letting me rant. I say Bah! Humbug! to Christmas Newsletters.:rant:

I'm with you Harilee. My sister in law does this every year bragging about all the places she has been over the year. She did take this year off due to covid. Outside of her, I don't get "Newsletters". Just a handwritten note on a few cards.

I recall a few friends sending out annual summaries, but none for a few years now. They all really focused on the "amazing" accomplishments of their children. Maybe the kids are all grown and out of the house, thus ending the letters.

Well, Hadenuff beat me too it but when I read this post I was thinking "Maybe the kids all turned out to be career criminals and they're all doing their first five-to-ten in prison" but nobody sends out brag letters about that.:)

Harlee's description of holiday newsletters seeming to be "brag sheets" made me think of some of our threads here on the FIRE forum where posters line up to talk about their kiddos getting scholarships, attending prestigious schools, having triple majors all in STEM fields, etc. Maybe the holiday newsletters she gets are from folks who can't find an Internet forum to brag on?

We got three newsletters this year. All were good and managed to stay far away from bragadosis, politics or excessive detail. Maybe it's just the company you keep?

Harlee's description of holiday newsletters seeming to be "brag sheets" made me think of some of our threads here on the FIRE forum where posters line up to talk about their kiddos getting scholarships, attending prestigious schools, having triple majors all in STEM fields, etc. Maybe the holiday newsletters she gets are from folks who can't find an Internet forum to brag on?

We got three newsletters this year. All were good and managed to stay far away from bragadosis, politics or excessive detail. Maybe it's just the company you keep?

Yes, maybe I need to find some better friends....

Well, I'm quite proud to announce that no child of mine has been convicted of a felony this year. So that's good news!

Well, I'm quite proud to announce that no child of mine has been convicted of a felony this year. So that's good news!

That sounds like bragging! There’s still a little over a week left you know.

Yes, maybe I need to find some better friends....

Well, newsletter writing prowess is only one attribute of a friend harllee. I'd look over the whole package carefully before ejecting someone from friendship just based on him/her writing a crappy holiday newsletter! If that's their only fault and they're loyal, true blue, kindred spirts in all other regards, I'd say just forget about their newsletter and hang onto them. Longtime, true friends are hard to come by, even if they seem to lose control when they sit down at the keyboard to compose the annual holiday newsletter.

Last edited:
I got a lovely handwritten letter today. It was from the mom of my son's best friend when he was a kid. When our sons were 10 this family moved away, to Arizona. We've kept in touch since then, mostly with a Christmas card. Our sons keep in touch on Facebook.

The news from her family is that after a difficult pregnancy her oldest daughter gave birth to identical twin boys, six weeks early. But it all turned out well and the now 10 month old babies are healthy and thriving. Her son and other daughter live within an hour and she sees them frequently. And she and her husband have managed to stay Covid free.

I also wrote her an update letter but they crossed in the mail. She sent hers on Dec 12 and it took 11 days to get here! Our local mail is all backed up due to understaffed mail terminals.

Last edited:
I got a lovely handwritten letter today. It was from the mom of my son's best friend when he was a kid. When our sons were 10 this family moved away, to Arizona. We've kept in touch since then, mostly with a Christmas card. Our sons keep in touch on Facebook.

The news from her family is that after a difficult pregnancy her oldest daughter gave birth to identical twin boys, six weeks early. But it all turned out well and the now 10 month old babies are healthy and thriving. Her son and other daughter live within an hour and she sees them frequently. And she and her husband have managed to stay Covid free.

I also wrote her an update letter but they crossed in the mail. She sent hers on Dec 12 and it took 11 days to get here! Our local mail is all backed up due to understaffed mail terminals.

Now that is a nice letter--handwritten too!

The news from her family is that after a difficult pregnancy her oldest daughter gave birth to identical twin boys, six weeks early. But it all turned out well and the now 10 month old babies are healthy and thriving.<snip>.

And that's the beauty of an individual letter. You can share more with people who will rejoice/commiserate with you about things you might not want to broadcast to the whole world.

Yesterday I got a very nice handwritten letter from my late husband's half-sister, with updates on her (including cancer surgery) and telling me again how much she enjoys my letters every year. It always makes me happy when I get one of those responses.

Unless - and this is important - they also insist on wearing ugly light-up Christmas sweaters. By itself, the sweater might be overlooked. Atop the newsletter bragging about the new RV, however, this is simply intolerable and the friendship must be terminated.

Well, newsletter writing prowess is only one attribute of a friend harllee. I'd look over the whole package carefully before ejecting someone from friendship just based on him/her writing a crappy holiday newsletter! If that's their only fault and they're loyal, true blue, kindred spirts in all other regards, I'd say just forget about their newsletter and hang onto them. Longtime, true friends are hard to come by, even if they seem to lose control when they sit down at the keyboard to compose the annual holiday newsletter.

Unless - and this is important - they also insist on wearing ugly light-up Christmas sweaters. By itself, the sweater might be overlooked. Atop the newsletter bragging about the new RV, however, this is simply intolerable and the friendship must be terminated.
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

'Tis the season to be jolly!" Or, so I thought. ;) I don't have any friendships that I want to terminate.

I must admit that it is easier to endure Christmas newsletters, now that I only get one. It is from my brother and SIL.

Back
Top Bottom