Christmas Newsletters--Bah! Humbug!

That does it, I am sending you a newsletter.

;)

I have rush ordered a suitable gilded display frame for immediate delivery.

We never have visitors, but if perchance someone stumbles in, he, she, or otherwise, will undoubtedly be enthralled. :cool:

But, but...these are major milestones for many of us. Buying a house, in particular, can consume a family for months. And most everyone else wants to know where their new address is so they can look up what they paid :D

I think the "brags" that irritate me the most is the ones that talk about how many "things" they have bought--new car, new house, new boat, new motorhome, etc. To me that is just tacky.

But, but...these are major milestones for many of us. Buying a house, in particular, can consume a family for months. And most everyone else wants to know where their new address is so they can look up what they paid :D

Can't do that in Texas....not public information.;)

The only people I know that can read and write don't want anything to do with me, so there's one problem avoided.

This describes me the best. I'm an atheist, so these holidays don't mean much of anything to me. I'm mostly a loner, so I have little contact with most relatives (and people in general) any more.

How come three letters?

I only sent to friends that I have not really talked to this year. Most of my relatives and friends are on Facebook or we talk on the phone, so they already know what is going on in my life and my children's lives. I did send out more Christmas cards, but did not include letters.

I'm an atheist, so these holidays don't mean much of anything to me.

DW & I are agnostics.....it doesn't take as much commitment as being an atheist. ;)

As a friend puts it, "I love God. I'm not too fond of His fan clubs."

But I have heard there is a god for atheists and another for agnostics. Very confusing.

Totally agree. What happened to actually talking to people by phone or even by Zoom or FaceTime? And Facebook--ugh--it was either pictures of what people had for dinner or crazy political stuff, not for me.

I agree with you 100%. What’s the virtue in knowing details of someone’s life when you never talk to them or connect in some meaningful way? It sounds like people want to know just for curiosity and those mailing newsletters and posting on FB about their lives and accomplishments are just boasting. I find that kind of boasting to be so uncouth and quite frankly lacking in class. The people that I connect with on a regular basis (family and friends) know what’s going on in my life and I theirs. I think this display of “look at me” is a result of a certain level of disconnection people feel in modern society. No thanks! I prefer to make the effort to make real meaningful connections and build my community.

Can't do that in Texas....not public information.;)
I hadn't noticed that before. With the exception of the previously mentioned "MLS insider route", places like Zillow do not list what we paid for our Central Texas house in May 2019. Then again, the online values listed in our new-ish neighborhood would give someone an idea.

Unfortunately, anyone can see what we paid and sold our California house for in 2018. Given we had been in that house for over 20 years, our address was known by all. Oh well.

This thread evoked a little sadness for me, not from any of the posts, but a reminder of the fact I will not be getting any.
My late wife's dear cousin used to send one out every year, but unfortunately, she is now in a memory unit and is incapable of writing one.:(

Alas. For most of us, so will end all our hope and striving. Better not to take most things too much to heart, I believe.

My late wife's dear cousin used to send one out every year, but unfortunately, she is now in a memory unit and is incapable of writing one.:(

This thread evoked a little sadness for me, not from any of the posts, but a reminder of the fact I will not be getting any.

Souschef, I am sorry. Can you talk to her on the phone? I have a good friend in memory care that I call once a week and she seems so glad to hear from me. I don't think she really knows who I am but she seems glad to talk to me.

That is very sad. I feel badly when I hear of such things.

We often don't know what we have until it's gone..

I recall a few friends sending out annual summaries, but none for a few years now. They all really focused on the "amazing" accomplishments of their children. Maybe the kids are all grown and out of the house, thus ending the letters.

And if we're demented, we don't even know what we had.

That is very sad. I feel badly when I hear of such things.

We often don't know what we have until it's gone..

This thread has inspired me to look back over Mom's Christmas letters. She collected them & put them in 2(!) 3" binders. I ran across them while moving. I have not looked at them but they likely started when Mom & Dad were just out of college (50's). Might be interesting & fun to look at

Totally agree. What happened to actually talking to people by phone or even by Zoom or FaceTime? And Facebook--ugh--it was either pictures of what people had for dinner or crazy political stuff, not for me.

You're thinking like a first world person :). Not everyone has easy access to phone/Zoom/Facetime. Some older/incapacitated folks are in situation where using the computer is difficult or nearly impossible, but reading (or having someone to read to them) is a joy to them. Some people still like pictures they can hold and touch and hold, and save, particularly since we do not post on Facebook. Even folks that we are in touch with several times a year still like receiving our experiences and thoughts at this time.

You're thinking like a first world person :). Not everyone has easy access to phone/Zoom/Facetime. Some older/incapacitated folks are in situation where using the computer is difficult or nearly impossible, but reading (or having someone to read to them) is a joy to them. Some people still like pictures they can hold and touch and hold, and save, particularly since we do not post on Facebook. Even folks that we are in touch with several times a year still like receiving our experiences and thoughts at this time.

I love getting personal letters but these newsletters I am talking about are not personal at all--they are photocopied letters, usually not even signed and they are mailed or (more often) emailed to many people (maybe a hundred or more). These really are a first world invention.

I don't know of anyone who does not have access to some sort of phone. Personally I would much rather have a phone call than one of these photocopied newsletters.

Last edited:
I once sent one out detailing how "young Anthony continues his downward spiral, academically", and "I continue to find new and innovative ways to invest unwisely" etc. etc. Only about half of the recipients realized I was joking. Well, thought I was joking. A few sent money. That was handy.

When my first DW and I divorced, she kept the house and evidently all of the friends who sent Christmas Cards. I never send them, so I seldom receive them, except from one faithful Christmas enthusiast employee. She sent them to me every year, signed by her and her husband in her handwriting. I saved them all. After about 10 years I had about 10 cards to put on my mantle. Which I did. One night I had friends over and someone rather absently decided to open and read all of the cards on my mantle. (really? who DOES that?), and then announced to the whole gathering, "Hey, What the hell:confused:These cards are all from the same person!"...Really, who does that? We did get a good laugh, though.

I once sent one out detailing how "young Anthony continues his downward spiral, academically", and "I continue to find new and innovative ways to invest unwisely" etc. etc. Only about half of the recipients realized I was joking. Well, thought I was joking. A few sent money. That was handy.

Now that is a different kind of Christmas Newsletter--a joke letter. I think would like that!

Back
Top Bottom