Cleaning stainless steel appliances

Scuba

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Our appliances are about 3 years old. While DH and I are meticulous housekeepers, and we have a service cleaning every 2 weeks, shortly after we got the appliances, the stainless on our fridge, dishwasher and trash compactor started to look bad with water spots and streaks. I've researched this online and tried several products and nothing makes the spots completely disappear.

Has anyone found a product that will make stainless steel look new again? I think they should call it "stainful steel"!

I have the same issue. The stainless steel cleaners I have used certainly get rid of surface dirt, fingerprints and make them shine. but the water spots remain. Hopefully, another forum member has the answer!

Weiman stainless steel cleaner.

They use lemon furniture polish at work to clean the stainless steel walls and cabinets.

Have you tried Barkeepers’ Friend?
I don’t have the same problem with my appliances, but I use BKF on my stainless steel sink and cookware. It works really well. The key ingredient is oxalic acid.

https://www.barkeepersfriend.com

Last edited:
Have you tried Barkeepers’ Friend?
I don’t have the same problem with my appliances, but I use BKF on my stainless steel sink and cookware. It works really well. The key ingredient is oxalic acid.

https://www.barkeepersfriend.com

I second the suggestion of BKF. Works a lot better an regular cleanser.

4th vote for Weiman stainless steel cleaner. Used it for 10+ years on 2 sets of SS appliances. Barkeepers Friend is great for our stainless cookware, but I'd be hesitant to use on my stainless appliances, as some ss appliances have a protective coating applied by the mfg.

Last edited:
Interesting that BKF and Weiman are completely different in composition (see their safety data sheets). Weiman is completely petroleum based. So if you don’t succeed with one, it’s worth trying the other.

Mrs scrapr used to clean new construction BITD. She used Painless Stainless. We still have a can or 2 around and use it to good effect

https://www.chemcraftind.com/catalo...ainless-Stainless-Steel-Cleaner-18-oz-Net-Wt/

I see there are many suppliers using the name. I "think" this is the one we use. We also have some Bar Keepers Friend. I'd be a bit hesitant to use as not all Stainless Steel is the same. I would cetainly use carefully on the first pass

I find it interesting that the baked-enamel finish, once considered so desirable because it is relatively easy to keep clean, is now considered "inferior" to metal appliances - which our Grandmas would have informed us are horrible to keep clean and shiny.

Reactions: W2R
I might also try furniture polish like Pledge especially if you have some at home.

I also went on line and Johnson Wax use to make two great products that I think would work. Kleen 'N Shine is an aerosol but may be difficult if not impossible to find. The other is called Jubilee and is a liquid. Jubilee would be my first choice of these two. I did go online and see you can pick it up at Wal-Mart and perhaps other stores with an online order. It gets great reviews on the Wal-Mart site.

I went back to look at reviews on other sites and while many people mention appliances they do not specifically mention stainless steel. This one did "This is the best, especially for stainless steel appliances that can leave finger prints. I have noticed a big improvement on my gas range when I use the jubilee in the many times I have to clean it. Spills wipe easily,countertops are shiny works great on leather furniture." This was on Amazon 4.5 640 reviews

Last edited:
When I worked PT for janitorial company 30+ years ago, we used toilet bowl cleaner on the stainless steel drinking fountains. Avoiding cross contamination of course.

WD-40 works pretty well.

When I worked PT for janitorial company 30+ years ago, we used toilet bowl cleaner on the stainless steel drinking fountains. Avoiding cross contamination of course.

It was likely an acid based toilet bowl cleaner which most were 30 years ago. And more than likely it was being used for hard water deposits on the drinking fountain. It is an option.

I CAREFULLY use acid based toilet bowl cleaner with COLD water on the bathroom faucets from time to time. Do not let it stand long and rinse with cold water.

From my experience, this would be a last resort for a fridge.

30 years ago, I was the guy selling you the product.:)

I find it interesting that the baked-enamel finish, once considered so desirable because it is relatively easy to keep clean, is now considered "inferior" to metal appliances - which our Grandmas would have informed us are horrible to keep clean and shiny.

This is what I was thinking, too. My solution to the problem is to buy black appliances with the pebbled finish. A swipe with a wet sponge now and then, and then spend your time on the forum, and your money on doo-dads. :D

Magnets don’t stick to stainless steel fridges. Depending on your perspective, that could be a good thing or a bad thing.

WD 40 works well but I've only used it on the outside of appliances. I also take the appliance outside. Lemon oil works fairly well too.

WD 40 works well but I've only used it on the outside of appliances. I also take the appliance outside. Lemon oil works fairly well too.

You take your fridge outside to clean it? That seems like a lot of work!

I'm waiting for white appliances to be all the rage again, so I can be in style :flowers:

I completely agree! When we did our remodel, I really didn't want stainless because of this problem, but it was the only thing we could find that looked modern and had the best features.

Back
Top Bottom