Clothing Optional?

That post about using a chain saw naked, is just down right stupid. There’s a reason for a lot of the clothes we wear and not all of it is for fashion or modesty.

That's what I thought, but everyone got a good laugh at the 90 year old guy cutting up firewood. I wouldn't do it, but to each their own.

Unless I'm at the beach, I still usually wear shoes when naked outdoors. We have lots of fir trees that drop these little sticky cone tips on the ground. If we go outside barefoot we get hundreds of those things stuck to the bottom of our feet. Like tree sap, they are a real chore to wash off. So, we typically have sandals on.

I've never done any gardening or lawn care in the buff. For one, that puts me out in more public areas visible from the road, but there are stickers and flying debris to deal with. I'll keep my suit of armor for those tasks. :)

I can tell you for sure, that giving birth in a Navy hospital will destroy any remnants of modesty a shy Navy wife might have. There were 23 people in the delivery room! I counted them. Doctors, nurses, medical students, and on and on. All wandering around and getting an eyeful and asking me questions.

And this was for an uncomplicated birth. I can't even imagine the crowds attending more medically interesting births.

Oh well. It was worth it to give birth to the sweetest, most adorable little baby I ever saw. Of course I was probably a little biased in that judgment.
:smitten:

23 seems excessive, but as a labor and delivery nurse it’s routine to have 4 to 5 health professionals at each delivery. OB Doc, delivery Rn, Ped doc, are always there second nurse to help Ped and second Rn or scrub tech to help delivery nurse is common.

I ve seen a lot of naked.

My husband would go naked any place he could.

Convinced me to go naked on Orient beach in St Martin. No issues with the other naked on the beach but the obvious looky loos’s passing through made it real uncomfortable. Net net you can be naked I am not modest in front of professionals but I prefer to be clothed.

This thread is useless without relevant photos.

maybe ... but my vision isn't what it used to be so my mind has to pick up the slack, filling in the missing info ;)

I have never minded wandering around the locker room at the gym without a stitch on. Nor do I mind the big group shower room.

I like the freedom of being naked outdoors, but being in close quarters with other people makes me uncomfortable (naked or clothed). Weird, huh.

I have noticed a large number of guys who are quite shy. They will put their shorts on under a towel, for example, or won't use the urinal. It seems that more young guys are like that than older guys. I have occasionally wondered how they came to be that way.

I'm one of those guys that can't use a urinal if anyone else is around. It's honestly kind of annoying. I've pulled off at rest areas about to burst, but if a urinal is all that is available the plumbing just locks up. I can stand there all day, it isn't gonna happen no matter how bad I need to go. I've literally gone back to the car and driven to the next rest area in hopes of finding an empty stall. Hows that for a hangup.

You would think I would be all "free willy" with my open view on nudity, but I've always been that way when it comes to using the bathroom. I'm not sure why, though being an only child probably had a lot to do with it.

My wife and I agreed early on that using the bathroom was private time, off limits. In 37+ years I've never seen her use the toilet and she hasn't seen me. We're both happy keeping it that way.

There were 23 people in the delivery room!

My wife had a long delivery, so she laid there with legs spread as doctors and nurses from multiple shifts popped in and took a look to see how things were progressing. :) Thankfully, she was a little preoccupied at the time, and had other things on her mind than who was looking. Still, we got a good laugh out of it once it was all over.

We both remember this one doctor who came in. He was a huge man, built like a tank, very intimidating. Kind of like Dwayne Johnson in scrubs. We looked at each other with a bit of fear that he was going to deliver our tiny baby, but thankfully his shift ended before the baby came. :)

No issues with the other naked on the beach but the obvious looky loos’s passing through made it real uncomfortable.

Yeah, that's the downside to most nude beaches. There's always the pervy folks looking in. That happens a lot less at remote areas like hot springs, or dedicated nude resorts. Finding a secluded beach or mountain area you can enjoy alone with your significant other is better. Your own back yard is great if you are fortunate enough to have the privacy to be free.

I have never minded wandering around the locker room at the gym without a stitch on. Nor do I mind the big group shower room. But I have noticed a large number of guys who are quite shy. They will put their shorts on under a towel, for example, or won't use the urinal. It seems that more young guys are like that than older guys. I have occasionally wondered how they came to be that way.

And it varies by location. In the gym locker rooms I've been in, in MA, most people were casually naked in the shower area and getting dressed. In the LA Fitness I go to in FL, people go to great lengths not to be the least bit naked. Lots of people change into their clothes IN THE SHOWER, hopping on one foot when they get to the socks and shoes so nothing gets wet. I don't go that far but I am much more careful about it in that locker room.

...ten foot pole...

Not to brag or anything... [emoji41]

After many years in a sports and/or fitness setting, I’m accustomed to seeing male nekkidness in all its “glory”.

Americans in particular seem to be uncomfortable with the human body. On the other hand, dim lighting and a few cocktails...

Americans in particular seem to be uncomfortable with the human body. On the other hand, dim lighting and a few cocktails...

Agreed, Europeans really do not care, at least the ones I know. But some of my American friends are a lot less comfortable with nakedness.

Does anyone think that it could be that Europeans "tend" to be slimmer and fitter than the Average American, therefore are more comfortable. Australians do not seem to worry about it as much either.

There are plenty of fat europeans wearing speedos at the beach or poolside. Gives new meaning to "if you got it flaunt it"

Does anyone think that it could be that Europeans "tend" to be slimmer and fitter than the Average American, therefore are more comfortable. Australians do not seem to worry about it as much either.

I don't think it's that at all. I see lots of fit guys at the gym who wear their workout clothes into the shower or at least underwear then get semi dressed in the shower. They come out and their underwear and t shirt are all wet. I couldn't stand that. I mean your literally naked at your locker for like 10 seconds to drop your shorts or put a pair on when you get out. But whatever makes people comfortable, none of my business .
I have seen travel articles saying clothing optional vacations are one of the fastest rising niches out there, so while some people are becoming pruder, (more prude?)others must be loosening up.

I pretty much agree with everything in the original post.

I would add that we all pretty much know what both kinds of bodies look like, so actually seeing one is not particularly new information. To my way of thinking, anyway.

I would probably agree pretty much with the AANR mindset except that I do think that there are some attractive people out there and seeing those bodies is a positive thing rather than neutral. But I also don't stare.

I've found that people in clothing optional situations are among the nicest and friendliest people I've ever met. And honestly usually quite normal aside from not wearing clothes sometimes, which is outside the normal behavior for Americans.

I pretty much agree with everything in the original post.

I would add that we all pretty much know what both kinds of bodies look like, so actually seeing one is not particularly new information. To my way of thinking, anyway.

I would probably agree pretty much with the AANR mindset except that I do think that there are some attractive people out there and seeing those bodies is a positive thing rather than neutral. But I also don't stare.

I've found that people in clothing optional situations are among the nicest and friendliest people I've ever met. And honestly usually quite normal aside from not wearing clothes sometimes, which is outside the normal behavior for Americans.

I totally agree about people at c/o gatherings being some of the friendliest people you'll meet. Probably has something to do with you're likely to be outgoing to go naked in the first place.
My FIL lives in Florida, near Cypress Cove Nudist Park and when he found out his dental hygienist lived there he quit going to her?! I so wanted to ask him why, but thought better of it.
I bet a lot of people in Florida might be surprised to learn that their neighbors are closet nudists.

Never been to a nudist/naturalist commercial place, just a few high mountain lakes & rivers. I think the 'clothing optional' places emphasize no clothes and I would feel out of place wareing clothes there, so much for 'optional'. But the place where it is truely optional is Burning Man, it just doesn't matter what you wear, if anything. And people can decorate bodies artistically. Lots of other reasons to go there too.

During my w*rking years in the coal mines, there were group showers for the male salary employees and the male hourly employees. As females entered the profession in the early '80s, facilities were built for the females. At shift change, there was always 50-60 men showering in the hourly mens bath house, and 10-15 men in the salary bath house. No issues at any of the 8-10 mines I w*rked at.

It was only in the last few years, that some of the younger younger crowd developed a modesty issue, wearing underwear to shower, or wrapping oneself with a towel to and from the shower room. No one ever said anything to anybody about it, most were just glad the shift was over, and wanted to go home. The women on the other hand, never showered at work.

I totally agree about people at c/o gatherings being some of the friendliest people you'll meet. Probably has something to do with you're likely to be outgoing to go naked in the first place.
My FIL lives in Florida, near Cypress Cove Nudist Park and when he found out his dental hygienist lived there he quit going to her?! I so wanted to ask him why, but thought better of it.
I bet a lot of people in Florida might be surprised to learn that their neighbors are closet nudists.

We have 3 nudist communities near us in Land O Lakes (not the butter place), but never had enough interest to visit.

Why do people even care? This is so petty, life is too short to worry about such trivia, live and let live. A complete non issue for us, either way is fine. As long as you are not shooting people or telling them what (or who) to worship (or not), that is fine with me.

We spent a month near Orient bay in St. Maarten, did not bother us or the other beach goers at all.

Back
Top Bottom