Clothing Optional?

We have 3 nudist communities near us in Land O Lakes (not the butter place), but never had enough interest to visit.

Check out Lake Como some day. It's a friendly place. We played a lot of volleyball back in the day and when we heard about Lake Como's weeklong volleyball tournament we were like "Why not?" ,so we gave it a try. Had a great time and went back for several years.

And it varies by location. In the gym locker rooms I've been in, in MA, most people were casually naked in the shower area and getting dressed. In the LA Fitness I go to in FL, people go to great lengths not to be the least bit naked. Lots of people change into their clothes IN THE SHOWER, hopping on one foot when they get to the socks and shoes so nothing gets wet. I don't go that far but I am much more careful about it in that locker room.
At my gym, there are 4-5 small 3'x3' curtained dressing rooms with a small bench in each and a mirror on the opposite wall. This is one for every 20-30 or so lockers. Some women change in the dressing rooms, especially those who have been in the pool. Others that can manage to change without showing quite so much, do so by their lockers. It's really very nice and nobody hogs the dressing rooms for very long. I can honestly say that I have never seen anything in the locker room that one wouldn't see on the street.

I was surprised to find out from F, that the men do not have these small dressing rooms as part of their locker room at our gym. I guess having a private place to dress is not considered sufficiently manly for these guys, or something. :rolleyes:

I feel sorry for the guys. Like the song from Flower Drum Song, "I Enjoy Being a Girl!" and I like our women's locker room much better. We also have long counters with stools and big mirrors and hair dryers, where we can dry our hair, put on make-up, and get "put back together" after a workout, which I doubt the guys have.

Agreed, Europeans really do not care, at least the ones I know. But some of my American friends are a lot less comfortable with nakedness.

Does anyone think that it could be that Europeans "tend" to be slimmer and fitter than the Average American, therefore are more comfortable. Australians do not seem to worry about it as much either.

I don’t think it’s because Europeans are more fit. It’s a long term cultural thing IMO. Germans, Dutch, and French seem very comfortable with public nudity and are accustomed to nude or topless beaches, while the UK and America do not usually allow public nudity. Not sure why different cultures have evolved this way.

We went to several nude beaches in Greece and really enjoyed feeling the sun on our skin and not having to deal with wet clingy swimsuits. We tried a clothing optional resort once but I didn’t like it that much. I think being that close to other nude people didn’t feel that comfortable to me, whereas on the beaches in Greece, we had a lot of personal space. Plus, several of the guests at the clothing optional resorts displayed piercings that we really didn’t want to see. Didn’t notice anything like that in Greece.

YMMV ... for me, it’s much more comfortable being naked with strangers we’ll never see again vs people we know.

During my w*rking years in the coal mines, there were group showers for the male salary employees and the male hourly employees. As females entered the profession in the early '80s, facilities were built for the females. At shift change, there was always 50-60 men showering in the hourly mens bath house, and 10-15 men in the salary bath house. No issues at any of the 8-10 mines I w*rked at.

It was only in the last few years, that some of the younger younger crowd developed a modesty issue, wearing underwear to shower, or wrapping oneself with a towel to and from the shower room. No one ever said anything to anybody about it, most were just glad the shift was over, and wanted to go home. The women on the other hand, never showered at work.

These days it's recognized that anyone of any sexual interest/orientation, can go into the change room.
In the old days, nobody really thought about the fellow looking at you with interest in his eyes. Now it's acceptable.

It's not surprising to me that some cover up as they don't want the attention or to be gawked at.

These days it's recognized that anyone of any sexual interest/orientation, can go into the change room.
In the old days, nobody really thought about the fellow looking at you with interest in his eyes. Now it's acceptable.

It's not surprising to me that some cover up as they don't want the attention or to be gawked at.
This may come as a surprise to you, but there have always been gay men in the locker room with you. I'm sure you're a fine specimen, but they really aren't interested in you. So you can rest easy.

At my gym we have an outdoor hot tub in the men’s locker room that is private. Anyone who is mid 50’s and up just walks out there naked. It seems rather silly to bring a bathing suite to the gym just to sit in the hot tub for ten minutes. But the younger generation never goes in the tub without a bathing suit. I think the millennials are much more conscious of their bodies. It may have something to do with the social media generation they grew up with and all the focus on appearance.

I never wear a bathing suit in the hot tub and I don’t really care who wants to look at me. I’ve been to nude beaches before as well. No big deal. I’m never going to see these people again so if they really want to look at me while I’m sunbathing nude let them have at it.

Attachments

• Norma.jpg
    Norma.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 56
Many people feel very differently about this. I have never had an issue with nudity and in Europe it is "normal" if you go to a sauna it will be mixed gender and mandatory nudity. I never thought much about it although it was kind of weird to be sitting there with a bunch of naked people. My wife; however, is Russian and will never expose her body in public ever and refused to go naked in the saunas in Switzerland or Germany. In Russia men and women sauna separately even if family and I have experienced this in Moscow with her family and friends.

Our home here in Hungary is completely private and we planted several hundred Cypresses which are 30 feet tall and give complete privacy. Here in our own home she goes naked all the time when gardening and our help are not around. She always swims in our pool nude. I am the same and do yoga out by the pool and swim naked. We do sauna together as a couple so that isn't something she is averse to. We have Armenian friends ho are into the whole nudist scene all the way and she has refused them to come and go nude at our home. So, beats me what that is all about. I don't go nude on my yacht but I do shed down to a small bottom so pretty close to nude.

But, beware of the sun. I have now had 3 melanomas removed over the years. So, payback is a bitch. I grew up in Southern Calif and surfing was my thing for many years. I also was a marathoner and ran in just shorts in the desert for many years as well. I also spent 30 years in the Army in sunny places where the sun is not your friend. My genetic tribe come from Northern Europe in places that never saw the sun much. I am blonde with blue eyes and my mother a real Irish redhead (with temperament). I got her freckled skin but not her hair although my son got her hair but not her skin. She is 94 and has never, not even once, gone out in the sun uncovered and still has had several melanomas so we are genetically cursed for skin cancer. On the other hand she is 94 and doing well and looks 70. So YMWV.

Spent time at a nudist beach in Noosa national park a couple of times, decades ago. Husband and I sleep nude and go naked in our spa. Although the spa is in our back yard we have a high fence and are not overlooked by any of the neighbors. My husband is comfortable being naked at home, indoors or out, but I am more modest.

During my w*rking years in the coal mines, there were group showers for the male salary employees and the male hourly employees. As females entered the profession in the early '80s, facilities were built for the females. At shift change, there was always 50-60 men showering in the hourly mens bath house, and 10-15 men in the salary bath house. No issues at any of the 8-10 mines I w*rked at.

There was only one memorable story during my years in the chemical industry about the plant locker rooms and showers.

As a young engineer, I was covering for the shift supervisor one day during a safety drill. I went into the control room looking for "Don", one of the new guys, but he wasn't there. I asked the operators in the control room, where's Don? The chief operator said, "he's late, he's probably still dragging that 'thang' outta his old lady". Everybody acknowledged this affirmatively in a matter of fact manner, no humor at all, which seemed strange to me, so I asked, "what's up with that?"

The chief explained, "it's common knowledge. Remember Don's first day in the plant last week. Well, word got around after that shift's shower, and the next day, just about the whole plant was in the locker room to 'gaze in wide wonder at the joy they had found'. That's why everyone calls him Tripod."

reminds me of a commercial that was on a while back. I think it was either a coke or a pepsi commercial but not sure.

A group of young kids were on a bike looking over the Woodstock grounds were the original "woodstock" took place. There were a bunch of 50-60 year olds dancing around having fun.

One kid said to another, "Are they going to take their clothes off"?
The other kid said, "I HOPE NOT".

DW and I are members of a nudist resort. At first it was awkward, but the people are some of the nicest people we have ever met. After the initial shock, you don't really notice anything. Sure, an exceptionally good looking person will be noticed, but chances are they're too full of themselves to stay around. We all have defects which define us, and at the resorts we have been to, the "defects" are actually beauty marks.
Just my two cents worth.

Back
Top Bottom