Coffee and Retirement

How many cups/mugs of coffee do you drink each day?

• I don't drink coffee and I am retired.

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • 1-2 cups and I am retired

Votes: 51 34.2%
  • 3-5 cups and I am retired

Votes: 28 18.8%
  • over 5 cups and I am retired

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • I don't drink coffee and I am not retired.

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • 1-2 cups and I am not retired

Votes: 18 12.1%
  • 3-5 cups and I am not retired

Votes: 24 16.1%
  • over 5 cups and I am not retired

Votes: 3 2.0%

• Total voters
I drink about two cups every morning - same as when I was working. I rarely drink it at night. I used to like a cup after dinner but that cup was always with a cigarette. I quit the evening coffee 30 years ago when I quit smoking.

Boy, that is the same for me and I had completely forgotten about that after dinner coffee and cigarette. All my working life I had probably four cups a day. Two in the morning with a cigarette(s) and one at night with a cigarette(s). That all stopped in 1986 when I quit smoking. Never gave up coffee but my ritual remains about the same except for the cup at night. That was replaced by a gin and tonic. My Keurig coffee brewer comes on at 6:30AM. Always have a cup by 7AM to watch the morning news on TV and then have a second cup by 8AM. That's when "she that must be obeyed" takes over the TV. I head to the computer. Shortly thereafter, I pour us both a glass of orange juice to go with our meds and I read the paper. This has become habit forming.

I'll bet that if another poll was taken (hint W2R), that a lot of coffee drinking is done out of habit and not addiction (?) or the fact they love coffee.

Note: "she that must be obeyed" is a phrase I borrowed from David Fehertey, the Golf Magazine writer.

I attribute this being fairly dysfunctional for the 15 minutes after rising. The idea of grinding beans, finding filters, filling water reservoirs and then navigating the menu on the coffee maker is more than I am willing to deal with.
My wife is a complete loss until after her second cup, and woe to the person who doesn't have the coffee freshly brewed for her at 5:40am. While I can function early on, it's still more convenient to use an automatic machine. I set this,Amazon.com: Cuisinart DTC-975BKN Programmable Automatic Brew-and-Serve 12-Cup Thermal Coffeemaker, Black: Kitchen & Dining, up the night before, the minor downside being that grinding several hours before brewing might lose a little flavor.

If anyone fails to understand why we can't get agreement on how to define net worth, paying off the mortgage early or which way is up, please see above. :)

PS: That rain shower has turned into a downpour!
The most exquisite folly is made from wisdom spun too fine. Benjamin Franklin

Having done a few well intended polls that went off into the weeds, I can sympathize...

The contractor where I am stationed as a gov guy provides coffee for free, so I normally have one cup for sure, and about 1/2 the time, I go for a 2nd cup. My cup holds 15 oz. though, so I don't know if it counts as one cup or two, seeing as how the typically accepted measurement for a cup is 8 oz. My co-worker's cup is even bigger, I think maybe 20 oz! Tomorrow, he's bringing us some Cinnabuns....might be a 2 cupper...

Boy, that is the same for me and I had completely forgotten about that after dinner coffee and cigarette. All my working life I had probably four cups a day. Two in the morning with a cigarette(s) and one at night with a cigarette(s). That all stopped in 1986 when I quit smoking.

You just made me remember how much I loved smoking with coffee, even 30 years after quitting.

When working I used to drink coffee all day long - expresso, because I lived in South America. At the peak, probably 15 a day, more when I had dinner engagements.

Now I have one large serving in the morning (between 12 -16 oz) and one double expresso (Nespresso) in the afternoon. The coffee (Peet's Sulawesi) is ground fresh (Breville Smart Grinder) before brewing and I use a thermal mug (REI) so it stays warm as I enjoy it. Together with the morning paper, it's the ideal combination. The hour or so it consumes every morning is the one single reason I could never go back to work.

Sorry for boring everyone with the details. Morning coffee is so good, I just can't keep it to myself.

I drank four or five cups a day before I retired, now it's 2-3. Most always have 2 cups in the morning and not unusual to have a cup in the afternoon around 4 or 5 pm. We have a machine the makes it a cup at a time (grinds the beans and then brews a cup) in about 30 seconds and the coffee is the best we've ever had. Machine was ridiculously expensive (don't ask, lol) even at half price but it sure makes a good cup of coffee, latte, expresso, or whatever.

I most enjoy my second cup of coffee in the morning sitting on the screened porch when the weather permits.

2 - 3 Mugs during the morning. Used to drink lots, lots more when working. I drink coffee because I like it, not to keep me awake.

Queenie

I have 2-3 6 oz cups each morning made with 2/3 regular coffee and 1/3 decaf. I sometimes have a small cup later in the day of decaf. When I retired I thought I would be drinking more coffee but with acid reflux and osteopenia, I cut way back on coffee. I no longer have acid reflux due to more careful management of acidic and alkaline foods and lost some weight too.

Semi-retired and I've never had a cup of coffee. Tasted it maybe 40 some years ago and didn't like it. Cokes and diet cokes are my problem.

I drink infinitely more coffee since I've retired. I drank none when I was working and now I drink one 16 oz cup a day. I guess that makes me a coffee fiend since my consumption has gone up infinitely :D

The Coffee contract here at MegaCorp was put out for bid. The low bidder that won, makes the coffee synthetically using an industrial process and then ships the coffee to us through a lead pipe where it is then heated by direct combustion here at our facility. The actual process is secret but is believed to involve concentrates derived form leftover wash rags and stale bread mold.

When we want a cup we make sure that the pot isn't still aflame. Then we let it sit for an hour or two - just to be sure.

Anyway, it's not very good but it's free, So we all drink lots of it.

I used to chug coffee all day long at work to stay awake and to keep up my core temperature.

In ER I start the same wakeup routine I had during my working years: two cups of green tea followed by 2-3 cups of Kona. However now I have to make sure I'm done by 9 AM or the caffeine might interfere with my after-lunch nap.

If I'm not going to get a nap that day then I'll swill coffee all morning and up to around 4 PM. I particularly enjoy it with lunch.

I drink two cups of black coffee at home every morning, both before I leave for work M-F and also on the week-end. That is generally it for the rest of the day. If I don't have my morning coffee I feel very deprived.

Every once in a great while I will have a cup of coffee later in the day if I meet up with a friend somewhere for a social visit (I like a skinny latte then, or an Americano). And I will occasionally drink a cup of decaf after a restaurant meal if my dining companion(s) want to linger over a coffee or have dessert. But it is more to keep them company than actually desiring a cup of coffee then.

A friend recently made a trip "home" to Louisiana. She brought me back some of her favorite Community brand coffee (no chicory). It is very good!

I drink better coffee at home now that I'm retired than I ever had at work, because I have time to freshly grind beans and use a Chemex coffee pot (you hand pour the boiled water yourself and allow the coffee to "bloom" after the first pour). But just the same, I drink about the same amount as I did at work. At work, it was to keep alert. At home, it is for pure joy (and because I'm happily addicted to caffeine).

I didn't vote because there isn't an option that fits my habits: coffee is a treat or comfort food, drunk about 1-2 times a week, not on any regular schedule. With the amounts of sugar and creamer I add, it's more like candy.

...it's more like candy.
Ever try chocolate covered coffee beans (my choice, dark chocolate with Kona beans)?

BTW, I still drink the same amount of coffee as when I was still gainfully employed - one 4-cup carafe (or two mugs) with a Mr. Coffee and Folgers "Black Silk". Good enough for my simple taste.

Five plus cups a day, with a splash of heavy cream. For the anal retentive, that's 54 ounces...

Expect to consume similar amounts in retirement.

My favorite time of day is getting up 2 (or 3) hours later than when I was working and putting on a pot of coffee then sitting on the front porch with said coffee and smoking a Marlboro and thinking about my plans for the day. And also visualizing being forty miles north of here at work. Very, very satisfying. As for the poll, I still drink about the same amount I just like it more.

I'm against altering my conciousness or physical condition in any way. Or, is that...wait...nevermind.

a_day_without_coffee_funny_poster_p228664073911900656tdcp_400-b814a68b7464c3d5c5e8ed0c3ba9cbb5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom