I'm lazy, like K cup coffee and my Keurig died for good!

aja8888

Moderator Emeritus
I'm not a coffee snob! I like quick... and K cups. I by the cheap Amazon Bold K cups. Plus I am cheap. I think I said cheap, didn't I?

So now that my Big Keurig died (finally)....had "post nasal drip" from a bad check valve, and now the head is permanently clogged due to hard water deposits, it's time it went to K Cup heaven. (it's already in the trash can)

So, what's out there are 575+ different K cup models to choose from and I need to find an Amazon Days one right now (well, before midnight).

I don't want a "one cup brew" one that requires filling up the tank each day for a coffee.

Any recommendations/suggestions? (I know you Amazon pros are all over the site right now and pouring money out to Bezos as fast as you can).

Note, does not have to be a Keurig branded machine.

Please don't tell me to get a French Press thingy!

Price under $100 if possible.

Thanks in advance. :cool:

Last edited:
French press is soooo easy. I thought I'd have to learn how to use it. I resisisted forever.....I didn't want to commit so I bought one for cheap at Ikea....never going back to k-cup. Measure coffee-pour in boiling water. Let rest for 3-4 minutes and slowly press down the plunger. No waste, easy to rinse off. It's actually fun to press down. Coffee is fun again. Now I can just pick of coffee whenever at Trader Joes. No more plastic taste.

Not sure how large reservoir you want, but my neighbor has this one and likes it. I'm still rocking my Keurig from 10 years ago.

Mecity Coffee Maker 3-in-1 Single Serve Coffee Machine, For K Pod Coffee Capsule Pod, Ground Coffee Brewer, Loose Tea maker, 6 to 10 Ounce Cup, Removable 50 Oz Water Reservoir, 120V 1150W https://a.co/d/9f8q8xB

Not sure how large reservoir you want, but my neighbor has this one and likes it. I'm still rocking my Keurig from 10 years ago.

Mecity Coffee Maker 3-in-1 Single Serve Coffee Machine, For K Pod Coffee Capsule Pod, Ground Coffee Brewer, Loose Tea maker, 6 to 10 Ounce Cup, Removable 50 Oz Water Reservoir, 120V 1150W https://a.co/d/9f8q8xB

This one looks pretty nice for the price and it has a "tall" cup for making your own K type cups. it's on my list for now.:cool:

We have Keurig Duo at each of our homes. We can brew 6, 8, 10 or 12 cup pots of coffee or 6, 8, 10 or 12 ounce cups of coffee using K-cup pods.

I think the water reservoir is 12 cups, so I end up filling it every second or third day by drawing filtered water from the nearby refrigerator in-the-door water and ice dispenser and pouring it into the reservoir. That is easier for me than removing the reservoir.

My sister has it plumbed into the water supply for her refrigerator.

We sometimes use the reusable k-cups with paper filters instead of regular k-cups.

Interesting but this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QQNZDRW/ref=sw_img_1?smid=ALE5I891RH4MK&psc=1 looks just like the one you recommend, but by a different maker.

We bought our Keurig at Costco and it’s been going for many years now. Hope I didn’t just jinx it. We have cleaned it once or twice with that coffee machine descaling stuff. Costco is still carrying that same model I believe.

We use the reusable filters most of the time because we prefer to grind our own coffee. So we rarely buy K-cups.

I'm no help! I just use one scoop of Taster's Choice instant, and then fill my 20 oz insulated "car mug" with 20 oz of hot water from my Zojirushi hot water maker. Never need a second cup.

But, you'd probably hate the Taster's Choice instant, and I do top off my hot water maker afterwards. Or rather, Frank does that for me these days. Anyway what I like about this method is that it is very quick and easy (like a Keurig, but I am too [-]cheap[/-] stingy to buy a Keurig).

I think pour over is best. We were French press fans for years, and they are great...I just got tired of scraping coffee grounds into the trash. With this little thing you can tune it to your perfect cup. You have to get filters...but the cleanup is as easy as k-cups with less trash. https://www.starbucks.com/menu/product/2123718/single

French press is soooo easy. I thought I'd have to learn how to use it. I resisted forever.....I didn't want to commit so I bought one for cheap at Ikea....never going back to k-cup. Measure coffee-pour in boiling water. Let rest for 3-4 minutes and slowly press down the plunger. No waste, easy to rinse off. It's actually fun to press down. Coffee is fun again. Now I can just pick of coffee whenever at Trader Joes. No more plastic taste.

This is exactly what I do - a French press with coffee from Trader Joe's. I did have an IKEA French press for a while, but it was rather flimsily made, compared to the more robust ones from Bodum. Bodum presses are a bit more money, but worth it, in my estimation. In fact, I just noticed that Bodum have a sale on French presses on their website right now. The small 8oz ones are $9.99 and the bigger 34oz ones are just $8.99 - both discounted from a regular price of $21.99 (not sure what they charge for shipping). I use a 34 oz one. They call it an 8 cup maker, but their cups must be awfully small! I like the extra capacity, in case I need to make coffee for two - and I always need to put significantly more than 1 cup of hot water in to make 1 cup of coffee anyway. The 8oz one is too small for much of anything - at least to me.

I'm no help! I just use one scoop of Taster's Choice instant, and then fill my 20 oz insulated "car mug" with 20 oz of hot water from my Zojirushi hot water maker. Never need a second cup.

I grew up with instant coffee. Iit's bigger in the UK than here. At least, it was when I was growing up there. A lot of people turn their noses up at instant coffee, but my favorite way to make it was with milk and water (half and half) and a spoonful of sugar.

Last edited:
Reactions: W2R

But, you'd probably hate the Taster's Choice instant, and I do top off my hot water maker afterwards. Or rather, Frank does that for me these days. Anyway what I like about this method is that it is very quick and easy (like a Keurig, but I am too [-]cheap[/-] stingy to buy a Keurig).
I'm also a fan and use 2 scoops in my 30 oz Ozark mug. The first thing I do every morning is flip the switch on my cordless kettle and the water is boiled and I'm drinking my Tasters Choice in less than 10 minutes and it lasts till afternoon and still stays warm. I get the 14 oz size at Costco for less than $12 when on sale.

Taster's Choice instant and hot water.....maybe I am over complicating things. :)

(I do drink my coffee black)

You said you are cheap, right?

I happened to be in my local Goodwill and there must have been 6 or 7 K-cup machines (of various manufactures) on the shelves. Prices were about $10 to $15 bucks.

As I've said before, there is a very thin line between frugal and cheap. I'll leave it to others to decide whether Taster's Choice crosses that line or not.

Do you drink more than one cup?
We bought a regular old coffee percolator last year, makes 6-12 "cups" (which I believe they count as 6 oz, not 8).
One pot give DH and I about 2 of our mugs in the morning, doesn't take much to prepare, (can fix the night before, then plug in the AM.) And keeping it plugged in keeps it hot all day.
Doesn't take long, and you get the bubbling perk sound and smell, which I remember from my childhood, as my folks were hard core 2 pot a day drinkers!

We rotate keurig/latte maker, percolator, French press depending on our mood.

Last edited:
... We bought a regular old coffee percolator last year, makes 6-12 "cups" (which I believe they count as 6 oz, not 8).
One pot give DH and I about 2 of our mugs in the morning, doesn't take much to prepare, (can fix the night before, then plug in the AM.) And keeping it plugged in keeps it hot all day.
Doesn't take long, and you get the bubbling perk sound and smell, which I remember from my childhood, as my folks were hard core 2 pot a day drinkers!

We rotate keurig/latte maker, percolator, French press depending on our mood.

We had a coffee percolator that we used on our propane stove inside our RV, even if we had access to shore power. We would prepare it the night before and turn the propane stove on high when we got up, let it start percolating and then turn to low for 5 minutes, then done and off. Coffee was good, it just took a little longer than a Keurig or drip coffee.

As I've said before, there is a very thin line between frugal and cheap. I'll leave it to others to decide whether Taster's Choice crosses that line or not.
I'll admit to being both frugal and cheap but in this case I simply like the taste heavily laced with French Vanilla creamer which is probably another sin to real coffee drinkers. I grew up in the UK where instant coffee was more popular.

I don't have any useful advice to add, but will pile on, that I've learned to embrace the K-cup, or single-use, or whatever they call it. I used to think they were a waste of money/time/resources, but then between the housemate and myself, we usually go through a pot of coffee every morning.

However, a couple years ago we got one of those single use things, and it's great, for when you just want a single cup here and there. So I can definitely see the charm.

I started renting out my spare bedroom to a friend late last year, and he brought his own single-use thing. It's a Cuisinart, and pretty big, with a larger water reservoir than the one that housemate #1 bought.

Housemate #2 usually only drinks one cup a day, so the arrangement works out pretty well. But, I guess if counter space is at a premium, our way isn't so hot, since we have both a regular coffee maker and the Cuisinart sitting on the counter.

Back
Top Bottom