My coffee altar ... and yours?

Whole beans only:

We order some from Amazon.

I like the Sprouts French Roast Decaf and buy from there.

We occasionally pick up a Starbucks decaf Sumatra or Espresso Roast.

Our home grind is usually a blend.

I ordered some French Roast decaf from Costco and will try it soon. It’s not in the local stores, I had to order it online for delivery.

I ordered some French Roast decaf from Costco and will try it soon. It’s not in the local stores, I had to order it online for delivery.

Which brand of French Roast Decaf?

Is it the San Francisco Bay Decaf French Roast Whole Bean Coffee 2 lb, 2-pack? I’ve never tried that.

I see one of our favorites is also available at Costco:
https://www.costco.com/.product.100843648.html

We usually blend that with the Sprouts French roast decaf, 2/3 French, 1/3 Cubano.

Last edited:
We do not know what is the 'best coffee' or if there is such a thing. Nor do we really know the 'best' way to grind it.

We only know what we like. Often Starbucks, often a local roaster. The challenge for us can be a good decaf bean. Sometimes hard to find.

Alas, when we have company we have to change it up. What we drink is a stronger, richer tasting coffee than most our our friends and relatives like.

Storing it? In the original bag, top folding with an elastic to keep the air out prior to grinding.

We are anything but officianados.

The best coffee depends on the beans and how grown, as well as the process of the producer (Starbucks, for example).

There are so many variables. Every delay in the supply chain means loss of freshness. For example amazon may send you a package of old La Colombe beans, or worse, the grind.

The hope with small shops is that they have a source where the roasting is done, and is performed by very experienced people.

People also have genetic taste preferences. I know when coffee is not fresh. But it is an addiction, so I'll take what's there.

The preference varies widely among people posting here (probably due to genetic taste). I would not buy a keurig or similar machine. But if that's what in front of me, I'll get my fix and move on.

Today I'm drinking some ground Ethiopian, and the first thing I notice is that it has no aroma when I open the bag. But you know what? It isn't the poorest taste. Such is life...

It's not as much the coffee machine that is important to me, as it is the type of coffee. I have a "plain old" Mr Coffee. I even keep a spare just in case it dies one morning. That would be a mini disaster at my house.

After years of trying different brands (and I still try others occasionally), I settled on the coffee that's "good to the last drop". :)

My favorite is Eight O'clock Hazelnut, but DW is not keen on Flavoured Coffee. So we are trying all the Bean coffee at Costco. For me they all taste the same ....... just like coffee. I am not really saying I can tell the difference.

Maybe one's favorite coffee should be in another thread but is does fit here, or does it? We only buy whole bean coffee as our Barista has a built-in grinder.

My coffee alter is somewhat similar to Midpack’s: a Technivorm Moccamaster coffeemaker with stainless steel insulated carafe, and a burr grinder (Breville). Reliable satisfying coffee, going on 15 years.

Just ditched the Bunn drip/carafe & went to the AeroPress full time with the burr grinder... I've had it for years and used it for travel. Keeps me to 1 cup daily...

Attachments

• IMG_20231226_203642.jpg
    IMG_20231226_203642.jpg
    580.3 KB · Views: 3
Mazzer Super Jolly grinder and a stainless steel French press are my daily drivers. After years and years of drinking multiple cups per day and throughout the day, I'm down to one cup a day, but I enjoy that cup. I did get an Aeropress for Christmas from my kids. I'll try it out on an upcoming trip.

Mazzer Super Jolly grinder and a stainless steel French press are my daily drivers. After years and years of drinking multiple cups per day and throughout the day, I'm down to one cup a day, but I enjoy that cup. I did get an Aeropress for Christmas from my kids. I'll try it out on an upcoming trip.

You'll like it. Cleanup is a breeze. Watch a video on the different ideas of using it...

I am sad and pathetic......40 years of brewing Folgers in a Mr. Coffee.

I’m a simpleton and Luddite at heart, love my Mr Coffee. It makes the most delicious coffee. And I use stop and shop brand coffee too! Cheap and cheerful

Hello from the great Northwest. I started down the coffee rabbit hole about ten years ago with an inexpensive espresso machine. Since then I’ve had various machines and grinders as my skill level improved. I eventually took classes and became a certified barista. Most recently I started down another rabbit hole and now roast our own beans. I like the process of making a coffee as much as I do drinking it. The most important part of any coffee station is a good grinder.

Attachments

• 1F5E2858-5D36-4D67-968C-C7BB0184C286.jpg
    1F5E2858-5D36-4D67-968C-C7BB0184C286.jpg
    515.8 KB · Views: 7
Hello from the great Northwest. I started down the coffee rabbit hole about ten years ago with an inexpensive espresso machine. Since then I’ve had various machines and grinders as my skill level improved. I eventually took classes and became a certified barista. Most recently I started down another rabbit hole and now roast our own beans. I like the process of making a coffee as much as I do drinking it. The most important part of any coffee station is a good grinder.

I went down those rabbit holes about 30 years ago. I drank so much coffee (10-12 cups) each day that eventually I started getting stomach pains. I quit cold turkey and had the worst chronic headache for a month before it went away. Fast forward 20 years later and I started coffee (just drip this time) again but only 3 cups a day. So far so good.

Back
Top Bottom