College Graduate Gift Ideas

Toejam

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello Everyone:

The daughter of my next-door neighbor has just graduated from the University of Washington (School of Business Administration). I have been invited to a Graduation Party/BBQ to be held at their home this weekend. I have known the daughter since she was 6 years old but have had limited contact with her over the last 5 or 6 years due to her attendance at college, so cannot think of anything specific that would suit her tastes/preferences. Her parents are very proud of her: She graduated with a 4.0 gpa and will be moving to New York City in a couple of weeks to start a job as a Managing Editor.

Any good ideas for a nice generic gift $50 or under?

How about a gift certificate to a restaurant or museum in NYC? MOMA is wonderful, as is the MET. A play or show would be nice but would be more than $50 for two. Someone who lives in the city can probably recommend a restaurant.

How about ESRBob's book and maybe a copy of Bernstein as well.   And some good c****late.

Edit: that profanity filter has gone a little too far. That should be c-h-o-c-o-l-a-t-e.

Wab and JB:

Thanks for the great ideas! Much better than the boring/non-creative stuff I was thinking of.

BTW, I have no doubt ER can easily become an option for this very competent young woman: In addition to her own smarts/high work ethics/ambition, her boyfriend will be attending Harvard Law School after completing an internship in NYC. If they get married (and it sounds very likely they will) . . . Wow! What an awesome duo they will be.

Toejam

If she's moving then maybe a GC to a home goods store? And a copy of Bob's book.

Consider the Access Guide to NYC (by Richard Saul Wurman et al). I have used these for several cities (not NY though) and like them. They cover a lot more than just restaurants and hotels.

We just gave Kevin Phillips' "American Theocracy" to a graduating HS senior (will be attending Emory's honors college), but he's into politics and is working for Mark Warner this summer. I left a Barnes & Noble gift receipt inside the front cover in case he already read it, but he hadn't and was pleased to receive it.

Outtahere, Gumby, Astromeria, Brewer: 

Thanks for all your great suggestions for a college grad gift.  I decided on giving her the "Four Pillars of Investing" by Bernstein and John Maxwell's "Real Leadership: The 101 Collection", and a smaller-sized box of Godiva Chocolates.  (Didn't realize how expensive those chocolates were!) ESR Bob's book would've also been great, but didn't want to push the "early retirement" life so soon as she is just starting out and is probably looking forward to the excitement and challenges of a new job.   

Toejam

p.s. Brewer: Metrocard? Sounds like a very practical gift, but . . . . . :)

Back
Top Bottom