Confessions of a dog Indulger

We have a lab and like most labs there is no such thing as too much food. She enjoys an egg in the morning; some cucumber and romaine lettuce ends when we have salad for lunch. Dinner? Why yes, a little steak or salmon would slide right down. But what about dessert? Ice Cream! She loves ice cream and always gets a tiny scoop.

She's twelve, in great health and a wonderful companion.

No. No they aren't.

I love dogs. Dogs are great companions. Dogs can be great fun. Dogs can give you a reason to get out of bed each morning.

But dogs aren't people. They aren't children. They aren't fur babies.

Dogs are pets.

:)

And, in some parts of the World....It's "What's for Dinner".

Last edited:
Ours are Maltese also. Such a great breed. My husband took a few pictures while I was sleeping and they were all cuddled with me. The big guy was husky/shepherd mix and wasn’t allowed on the bed because of my asthma but he laid on his bed in our bedroom.

:)

And, in some parts of the World....It's "What's for Dinner".

Before we look down our noses on "some parts of the world", we need to remember that until December 2018, it was still legal in 44 US states.

For our fourth and likely last dog, we decided to never offer table scraps or other "people food" to her. Besides her being a perfect weight, she ignores us when we are eating, unlike our previous dogs who had mastered the pathetic starving beggar routine. Her vet just tells us to keep doing what we're doing.

She is now seven and if she lost her appetite or had other health issues we might reconsider and start cooking for her but I really don't think she would enjoy it.

Our dogs don’t beg. Even once we started giving them occasional people food. We have never had a overweight dog. I have seen dogs beg that have never had people food. I think it depends on the dog.

Our dogs don’t beg. Even once we started giving them occasional people food. We have never had a overweight dog. I have seen dogs beg that have never had people food. I think it depends on the dog.

Why did you start giving them occasional people food?

Our dog doesn't beg either and sleeps through all of our meals. She does keep a careful watch on what is going on when we are doing food prep though just in case something comes her way.

Here's my beautiful girl. How can you say no to that face.:)

Attachments

• 023 (3).JPG
    023 (3).JPG
    436 KB · Views: 26
Hey, where am I supposed to sit?

48513261962_a69aa4fb18_b.jpg

Bestwife, we started when the dogs got very old so their last year or so would be awesome in the food department.

Hey, where am I supposed to sit?

48513261962_a69aa4fb18_b.jpg
A buddy has two king beds in the bedroom. One for him and his DW, one for two Danes.

We have a lab and like most labs there is no such thing as too much food. She enjoys an egg in the morning; some cucumber and romaine lettuce ends when we have salad for lunch. Dinner? Why yes, a little steak or salmon would slide right down. But what about dessert? Ice Cream! She loves ice cream and always gets a tiny scoop.

She's twelve, in great health and a wonderful companion.

We also have labs-2. They will eat anything and everything! We TRY to limit their snacks to carrots and romaine ends but..... we walk them daily except the summer months ( south Florida) when it’s so hot. Our brown lab sat and quit on her evening walk in June and that was at 730 pm. They also get in bed with us in the morning, I guess that’s what happens after the kids leave. They are now our kids and we love them. ❤️

We have always spoiled our dogs to some degree.

First dog: Spaniel mix. Picked out by our then 4 year old son (he is 37 now). Got out of his fenced area and was hit by a car. Two surgeries later, and a prognosis he would not live to five. He lived until 12. Yeah, got spoiled.

Second dog: Pure bred Corgi. Got her while the old guy was still around. I think it added a few years to the old guys life. They were best buddies. I would tie two old tube socks together, hand them each an end, and they would play tug o war until they both got tired.

One Sunday, on their "birthday", we took them to the local Frozen custard place (Ted Drewes, if you are from STL, you know it). Convertible, top down, two dogs in the back seat reaching up to eat their "kiddie" cups on the back. We actually drew a crowd to watch.

Last dog (still around, but the last we intend to have): Mixed Corgi. Spoiled rotten, but in a good way, I think. We can leave her for 6-10 hours without worrying (don't do that much any more, heck, I can't go that long). Great with people and kids (not so much other dogs). She knows the routine for treats/snacks. No begging at the table, but there is usually something for her after. Just a little bit.

What do we get? Unconditional affection:dance::dance:

We also have labs-2. They will eat anything and everything! We TRY to limit their snacks to carrots and romaine ends but..... we walk them daily except the summer months ( south Florida) when it’s so hot. Our brown lab sat and quit on her evening walk in June and that was at 730 pm. They also get in bed with us in the morning, I guess that’s what happens after the kids leave. They are now our kids and we love them. ❤️

Our dog likes carrots too but they don't agree with her so none for her. She also likes zucchini, watermelon and apples. When I cut up an apple, she gets the core minus the seeds.

We walk in the morning before it gets too hot. The fur coat she has on makes it too difficult otherwise. I'm not up on Florida weather but I'm sure it's warmer there than here in San Diego.

My dog's cuter than your dog. :angel:

Our dog likes carrots too but they don't agree with her so none for her. She also likes zucchini, watermelon and apples. When I cut up an apple, she gets the core minus the seeds.

We walk in the morning before it gets too hot. The fur coat she has on makes it too difficult otherwise. I'm not up on Florida weather but I'm sure it's warmer there than here in San Diego.

I think the humidity is what gets her. Our chocolate has a thinner coat than our yellow and feels the heat more. Yes, apples are a big hit here too, they eat anything except celery.

Ours are not spoiled in least bit.

Wife gives them carrots or toast depending on her snack.

I take them for rides & ice cream - it teaches them strangers can be nice!

They also share couches with us.

Ok who am I kidding, they got it better than me!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom