Consolidated 2020 (2d half) RIP Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just reading Wikipedia on Spencer Davis. It says the group carried his name because he was the only member who didn't mind doing interviews with journalists and deejays.

Saw Spencer Davis Group live before Steve Winwood left. Great!

WOW! I would never guessed him at 81 years old. Time goes by so fast.

How is it possible our heroes have aged so quickly? RIP indeed.

First John Prine. Then Jerry Jeff Walker.

Now, Billy Joe Shaver.

And in between, there's Charlie Daniels, Kenny Rogers and Mac Davis.

2020's been a year of loss.

I was just reading about his death... By far the best James Bond IMO.

RIP [-]James[/-] Sean

I really enjoyed him as Indiana Jones' father in the second movie in the series.

I’ve been a fan of Billy Joe for over 40 years. I had the opportunity to see him several times in recent years (and meet him once) at Houston’s Redneck Country Club. He was an outstanding songwriter/singer and I will miss him. RIP.

1st James Bond and the best, RIP!

Saddened. What a great talent. Have been watching all the Bond movies before the new one comes out. Early ones definitely the best.

But I really loved him with Nicolas Cage in "The Rock".

A great actor. RIP.

FYI:
Pluto TV (free online or on Roku) has a 007 channel that runs 21 Connery, Moore and Steele Bond films 24/7 that include some of the Connery ones. Most of the films they stream are also available in their On Demand tab, so you can watch one from there on your schedule instead of theirs.

Sean Connery films available in the On Demand tab:
Dr. No, From Russia with Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, You Only Live Twice, Diamonds Are Forever and Never Say Never Again.

A great actor. RIP.

FYI:
Pluto TV (free online or on Roku) has a 007 channel that runs 21 Connery, Moore and Steele Bond films 24/7 that include some of the Connery ones. Most of the films they stream are also available in their On Demand tab, so you can watch one from there on your schedule instead of theirs.

Sean Connery films available in the On Demand tab:
Dr. No, From Russia with Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, You Only Live Twice, Diamonds Are Forever and Never Say Never Again.

Thanks for that heads-up! Will have to check out.

Those early Bond movies with Connery are such an eye feast and best capture the fun and the charm of the series in my opinion. We are in the Roger Moore era now and it's a bit of a wasteland. Not sure why he was cast honestly.

Roger Lazenby was great as Bond in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service". Don't think I ever saw Brosnan or Dalton (but I will as we work through the list) but I'm sure they are better. Daniel Craig has brought the franchise back a bit but never saw him as Bond really.

Connery, the first and still the best.

Thanks for that heads-up! Will have to check out.

Those early Bond movies with Connery are such an eye feast and best capture the fun and the charm of the series in my opinion. We are in the Roger Moore era now and it's a bit of a wasteland. Not sure why he was cast honestly.

Roger Lazenby was great as Bond in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service". Don't think I ever saw Brosnan or Dalton (but I will as we work through the list) but I'm sure they are better. Daniel Craig has brought the franchise back a bit but never saw him as Bond really.

Connery, the first and still the best.
Just be aware that The James Bond Pluto channel comes and goes. Being that this is the last day of the month, it may be gone in November who knows. I'm hoping it will stay for longer, I'm only up to 1989 License to Kill so far

I would put him top 3 in the Bond stakes but not first. YMMV.

However, he was great in The Untouchables and as a Kipling enthusiast I enjoy him a lot in The Man Who Would Be King. With that cockney fellow... :D

My first exposure to Sean Connery was as a child and he was still a young actor. He had an important but not the staring role in Darby O'Gill and the Little People. Sean played the handsome young man who had to deal with Darby's quirks, win the heart of Darby's fiery daughter, and eventually defend the honor of Darby and the leprechauns by battling the town bully. I doubt if James Bond ever had a tougher assignment.

Attachments

• darby-o-gill-and-the-little-people.jpg
    darby-o-gill-and-the-little-people.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 25
He was a fabulous Bond and a great hero in general. 'Bring a knife to a gunfight', of course that didn't end to well. Or as Ramierez in 'The Highlander', again not ending so well for him. My father loved his films and he was definitely the only Bond in his mind. We enjoyed many of his films together. Thanks for the memories. RIP.

Last edited:
A great actor, one of my favorites.

Amazing to think he got into acting by taking a chance, without any experience.
Nice to see a fellow who worked from age 9 from a poor family make something of himself by putting in lots of effort.

He lived to 90;, but still sad to hear of his death.
My favorite movies of his were "Hunt for Red October" and "The Rock"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom