Consumer Reports: 2009 Best Autos Out

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Consumer Reports just came out with their 2009 Best Autos* made. They are in this order: 1. Honda; 2. Subaru; and 3. Toyota. I'm guessing this was done before Toyota's problems hit the fan.:whistle:
Where's Nissan? And Subaru? Surprised at this, but, then again, I'm not a car person at all.

*I'm sorry...that just was on Squawk Box this morning, and it might be 2010 Best Autos made (somebody didn't catch that part). Regardless, it is their very latest report as it just came in this a.m.

I wonder if Consumer Reports will finally stop shedding their preconceived idea that Japanese is always best in 2010 given the Toyota fiascoes...

I wonder if Consumer Reports will finally stop shedding their preconceived idea that Japanese is always best in 2010 given the Toyota fiascoes...
I've heard that said from time to time, but I am unaware of anything substantial behind it.

Their tests are not perfect but I have always found their advice to be more objective and accurate than any other source for many products. Japanese cars have dominated the ratings for years but I think it's because they have been better in the categories that CU feels are important, like safety, reliability, fuel efficiency, etc. I guess if you are more focused on acceleration and visual appeal, it's more subjective.

Is your assumption that they cook the numbers to make Japanese cars come out ahead? Just curious.

Is your assumption that they cook the numbers to make Japanese cars come out ahead? Just curious.
I don't think there is anything intentional. But I do think there may be a subconscious bias after so many years of reinforcement where the more subjective judgments are concerned.

I don't think there is anything intentional. But I do think there may be a subconscious bias after so many years of reinforcement where the more subjective judgments are concerned.
I focus on their frequency of repair numbers, stopping distance, real-world mileage, safety stuff. They usually provide quasi-numeric data.

It is striking how much the Asian manufacturers have led the pack. Makes me shake my head at our American car industry which seemed to be focusing on other things to allow this discrepancy to occur. Maybe one of the good things about the great recession is that quality control will be a higher priority. Certainly Toyota should be less of a threat :nonono:.

I focus on their frequency of repair numbers, stopping distance, real-world mileage, safety stuff. They usually provide quasi-numeric data.

The criticism of CR frequency of repair evaluation(s) is that they are based on CR members reports rather than on actual car model repair reports. While interesting the statistics may be biased by the CR membership composition.

My objection to CR reports is that they mostly ignore safety.

Consumer Reports just came out with their 2009 Best Autos* made. They are in this order: 1. Honda; 2. Subaru; and 3. Toyota. I'm guessing this was done before Toyota's problems hit the fan.:whistle:
Where's Nissan? And Subaru? Surprised at this, but, then again, I'm not a car person at all.

Subarus are very good, have something for every niche, last a long time, go in the snow, and are safe and reasonably cheap to operate. I have an Impreza 2.5 mini-wagon. I almost bought the WRX, a turbocharged model. I am glad I didn't, I couldn't deal with the tickets. :)

The one I have is plenty peppy enough, though in a world with no speeding police I would go for the WRX.

Ha

Maybe the answer would be to let American car manufactures make the body and let Japan make the engines . I had a Geo Prism which was basically a Toyota engine and American body . That car is now 17 years old has close to 200,000 miles on it and is still going strong (my daughter & son in law have it as there second car ). I would love a Mustang with a Toyota engine . My dream car !

Mustang is getting some new engines for 2011. Should be great, as Ford is leading the pack in reliability now.

I heard great things about the new Subarus. I'm trying to break my car addiction, but may have to go test drive a 2010 Legacy sedan or wagon.

Back
Top Bottom