Consumer Reports WRT Toyota & Ford

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Saw this mentioned in another thread, thought I'd check it out. Sadly, I haven't bought a domestic car since 1978 (4 Honda, 2 Toyota, 1 Volvo, 1 BMW, 1 Nissan, 1 Audi) - but maybe there will be a Ford in our future (not only due to quality but their relative solvency vs GM & Chrysler)?

FWIW...

Consumer Reports 2007 Annual Car Reliability Survey highlights: Consumer Reports Cars Blog

Excerpts:
After years of sterling reliability, Toyota is showing cracks in its armor, according to data from Consumer Reports' 2007 Annual Car Reliability Survey. By contrast, Ford's domestic brands have made considerable improvements.

Despite these problems, Toyota (including Lexus and Scion) still ranks third in reliability among all automakers, behind only Honda and Subaru. Still, because of these findings, CR will no longer recommend any new or redesigned Toyota-built models without reliability data on a specific design. Previously, new and redesigned Toyota models were recommended because of the automaker's excellent track record, even if CR didn't have sufficient reliability data on the new model.

CR's 2007 survey also shows that the odds of getting a reliable new vehicle from Ford are the best CR has seen in years. The Ford Fusion [I rented a Fusion and was pleasantly surprised, it was a nice car. I also rented a Mustang and it was a POS, sorry - Midpack] and Mercury Milan are among the most reliable cars.

Despite Ford's improvement, U.S. brands account for almost half the models--20 of 44--on CR's list of "Least Reliable" models. Notable models with declining reliability include the Chevrolet Tahoe, GMC Yukon, and Volkswagen Passat (V6).

As for European brands, signs are pointing to an overall improvement. Mercedes-Benz still hovers near the bottom in Consumer Reports' predicted reliability scores comparison.

Findings are based on responses on almost 1.3 million vehicles owned or leased by subscribers to Consumer Reports.

I am hoping Ford can rebuild long term reliability as well as initial reliability.
With Subaru, Honda and Toyota still in the top 3, I think Ford still has room to improve.
Although if Ford came out with an all EV model, I would weigh that more heavily than the reliability rating.

" I also rented a Mustang and it was a POS "

you better hope my stang doesn't read that!

" I also rented a Mustang and it was a POS "

you better hope my stang doesn't read that!
Sorry, it was a basic 6-cyl so maybe that wasn't representative. But the difference between the Fusion and the Mustang was night and day (and it wouldn't surprise me if they are on the same platform).

We have a 93 Ford Explorer with 75k original miles on it that we have owned since new. Been a great car. Brakes tend to need fixing more than we would like. Otherwise, no problems.

(We take transit a lot.)

We have a 93 Ford Explorer with 75k original miles on it that we have owned since new. Been a great car. Brakes tend to need fixing more than we would like. Otherwise, no problems.
Do the rotors warp frequently? I seem to remember Fords of that era had a tendency to warp rotors on what seemed like an annual basis.

The Milan and Fusion look good so far. If they can maintain that until the FIVE-YEAR results come out, it will make a HUGE difference.........:)

Do the rotors warp frequently? I seem to remember Fords of that era had a tendency to warp rotors on what seemed like an annual basis.

Just try not to heat them up and run through water. The heating and cooling process is not good.

98 Ford Explorer with 248000 Km frequent Brakes as well. 11 Southern Ontario salty winters with no rust perforation. 2001 Hyundai in the bone yard with 125000 Km due to reliability problems and very expensive repairs.

We have owned Honda and Toyota for the last 20 years. The Toyota, a 1998 Camry was a disappointment. While the drive train was fine, the interior did not hold up. The roof material warped, the material around both sun-visors wrinkled, the vinyl around the door handles pulled loose. All little things, but caused the car to have the impression of 'falling apart'. Our older Honda, and Accord, 1987 was a great car. Only problem there was the break master cylinder. The 1997 Accord never a problem. We now have a 2007 Pilot with 30,000 miles and not problems.

I have no problem with Ford, SIL and DD both drive Fords. DD has had some problems but all covered by Warranty. However, it would be hard to get up to drive anything other than a Honda based on our past experience with them.

Side note, When we were searching for our first Honda, I ask my mechanic what we should buy. He said Ford or GMC. I was supprised, and ask him if he would really buy a Ford. He said "NO, you ask what YOU should buy, Ford and GMC are better for my business, I would buy a Honda".

My wife and I have only owned American brand autos (mostly GM), and so far, they've all been great problem free vehicles. If we needed another vehicle, we wouldn't hesitate to purchase an American brand. Vehicles we've owned are:

'84 GMC S15 Pickup, purchased new, traded-in '89 with 60K.
'86 Chevy Camaro, purchased new, sold in 2002 with 160K, still going strong.
'89 GMC S15 Jimmy SUV, purchased new, sold in 2005 with 150K miles, still going strong.
'02 Dodge Durango, no problems, currently has 50K miles.
'05 GMC Sierra Pickup, no problems, currently has 30K miles.

Has anyone seen the new 2010 chevy Camaro? This thing is smoking hot. Hum, I might let myself be tempted by an American car one more time... Of course it's too soon to tell whether it's going to be a reliable car or not, but the body design is scrumptious... I haven't been this impressed by an American car in a looonnng time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom