Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-18-2019, 10:21 PM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

I used to work for Sears just repairing their washer/dryer brand. Made by Whirlpool, and sold under Sears' name, Kenmore. Back in the day Whirlpool/Kenmore had 50% market share. So if I walked in any house in America, 50% chance I could fix their appliances.

The dryer was a thing of beauty. Easy to repair, cheap parts, and built to last. With Youtube, most repairs could be done by the homeowner. A dryer that could easily last 50 years. (And could retail easily today under $250.)
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2019, 10:26 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Decided today would be a good day to replace that seal. Got it done, and running a test load of rags now.

Not too bad, but most of the videos I found were about the tub seal, which is the next level deeper in, but I figured it out. A little tricky, everything was kinda crusty.

Glad it worked out. It sounds like you need harder water--the stuff that comes out of my well would eventually "clot" that leak closed if the seal disintegrated.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:59 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post
I used to work for Sears just repairing their washer/dryer brand. Made by Whirlpool, and sold under Sears' name, Kenmore. Back in the day Whirlpool/Kenmore had 50% market share. So if I walked in any house in America, 50% chance I could fix their appliances.

The dryer was a thing of beauty. Easy to repair, cheap parts, and built to last. With Youtube, most repairs could be done by the homeowner. A dryer that could easily last 50 years. (And could retail easily today under $250.)
My dryer is a '98 Kenmore. A few years ago it was having issues and I pulled it apart twice to do repairs (changed the main belt as well while I was at it). I am far from mechanically inclined, but these things are really very simple machines. As long as I can source parts, I will keep this one running.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:42 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Just replaced the timer on a 1996 vintage Hotpoint washer. Timer still worked, but the two tabs holding one side in place finally broke. Amazon had a direct replacement for $90. Took maybe ten minutes to replace.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:41 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Another annual update. Still running for another year (did a seal replacement last year, mentioned a few posts back).

So that's 34 years on the machine, another seven years after I first posted this, and some people saying don't bother. The original fix 7 years ago was a cakewalk, the seal replacement last year a bit more work.

What are the odds a new machine would have caused more trouble than this in the past 7 years?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:06 PM   #86
Administrator

Nice! Congrats on a successful job.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:27 PM   #87

The Whirlpool/Kenmore dryer, the older model, not sure what they have now, was truly an appliance elegant in its simplicity, but built to last for a very, very long time. Not like (my opinion only) the crap that's sold today at a much higher cost, more expensive to repair, and not nearly as long lasting.

But without doubt, the old Maytag washer was a washer that was built for thousands of washings. If those machines were really that good (remember the lonely Maytag repairman to prove it) why aren't those machines still around?

Here's what I think:
1. The washers were made with metal parts instead of plastic. Heavier machines causes higher shipping costs.
2. They do indeed last longer with less repairs, and less expensive to repair. In fact, to gain access to the whole machine, there were two screws in the front panel that once removed exposed and gave access to the innards. If there was such a thing as built in obsolescence, it lasted too long.
3. The water level on those washers, though adjustable, if used for a full load, the water would come most of the way to the top of the tub. Today's washers use much less water. (In fact, that's why today's dishwashers don't work as well as years ago--there's simply not enough water--mandated by govt).

There's no doubt the Maytag washers of old are way better than anything on today's market. Same goes for the Whirlpool/Kenmore dryer.

Today, I'm a proud owner of the 1998 Honda Accord. 22 years old with 110K miles. Often, I"m told the engine is bullet proof. There really are products out there that stand out and do stand the test of time.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:21 PM   #88
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Some of your post really confuses me.

Quote:
But without doubt, the old Maytag washer was a washer that was built for thousands of washings. If those machines were really that good (remember the lonely Maytag repairman to prove it) why aren't those machines still around?
You do recognize that they lonely repairman was advertising, not necessarily reality, right?

Quote:
If those machines were really that good, why aren't those machines still around?
Who says that they are not? Did you have some statistics to share?

Quote:
Here's what I think:
1. The washers were made with metal parts instead of plastic. Heavier machines causes higher shipping costs.
But this makes no sense. This is an argument, perhaps, why fewer Maytags were sold, not repaired? Or are you suggesting that a Maytag owner looks into a repair part, then finds out the shipping cost for the heavy, metal part, then decides instead to scrap the appliance rather than pay the shipping cost on a part, whereas the owner of a different brand decides to have that (lighter) part shipped?

Quote:
2. They do indeed last longer with less repairs, and less expensive to repair. In fact, to gain access to the whole machine, there were two screws in the front panel that once removed exposed and gave access to the innards. If there was such a thing as built in obsolescence, it lasted too long.
I am now REALLY confused. "Built-in obsolescence" is the very antonym of "lasted too long." Can you clarify?

Quote:
Today, I'm a proud owner of the 1998 Honda Accord. 22 years old with 110K miles. Often, I"m told the engine is bullet proof. There really are products out there that stand out and do stand the test of time.
Agreed! I have a '95 Civic with ~188k!
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:42 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
Some of your post really confuses me.

So, this morning, I decided that my post above was unnecessarily argumentative, and decided to delete it. However, I find that I am unable to do so.

Sorry about that!
Old 07-26-2020, 11:42 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Long ago I fixed my washing machine, it was a gear part for the agitator. It was plastic and had worn away.

With washing machines, and probably many other things, manufacturers are driven to reduce costs.
I can understand some manufacturer realized changing some metal parts for plastic parts is:
  1. Cheaper,
  2. Lighter, so shipping the part to factory and the finished product costs a few cents less, multiplied by many thousands over the years.
  3. Lasts nearly as long or at least many years, so it's acceptable to consumers, meaning people are used to things wearing out/breaking so if it lasts 10 years, complaints are few.
  4. Rarely, a change to plastic is because it's actually an improvement in some manner (think auto bumpers).
It's annoying to myself, as I'm cheap and would use a washer for 100 years, never replacing it because it looks old.
Old 07-26-2020, 11:53 AM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

I have two of those almost 40 year old Whirlpool/Kenmore dryers. Relocated last year halfway across the US. The movers thought I was a bit off for moving something worth "almost nothing", said I should just buy new. Also had to add an outlet for the second dryer at the new place. DW is so used to be being able to split things up from the large washer, use different drying temps, etc., that it would be tough to go back to just one dryer. They are simple and I can do the occasional repair. At least so far, parts have been easy to get. They were fairly universal, common parts needed fit many models.
oldphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 02:09 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Long ago I fixed my washing machine, it was a gear part for the agitator. It was plastic and had worn away.

With washing machines, and probably many other things, manufacturers are driven to reduce costs.
I can understand some manufacturer realized changing some metal parts for plastic parts is:
  1. Cheaper,
  2. Lighter, so shipping the part to factory and the finished product costs a few cents less, multiplied by many thousands over the years.
  3. Lasts nearly as long or at least many years, so it's acceptable to consumers, meaning people are used to things wearing out/breaking so if it lasts 10 years, complaints are few.
  4. Rarely, a change to plastic is because it's actually an improvement in some manner (think auto bumpers).
It's annoying to myself, as I'm cheap and would use a washer for 100 years, never replacing it because it looks old.
That sounds familiar! Here is a post of mine from a couple of months ago (in the "Recent Repair" thread):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
I realized my washing machine was barely agitating. So a few minutes of googling suggested that there were cogs (or AKA “dogs”) on Kenmore/Whirlpool/Roper washing machines that have been used with an unchanged design for like, for-evah! They limit the motion of the agitator to one direction, but they, of course, can wear out. I “risked it” and ordered a replacement set of cogs for the princely sum of $4 delivered.

After prying off the agitator cover, expecting to find a nut to engage with the socket, what do I see but a square hole? Kinda big square hole. I quickly surmised that it fit a 1/2” square drive tool. I looked around, and the thing that came to hand was my 24” breaker bar, which conveniently had an extension on it already. So, bottom line, I used a damn breaker bar to unscrew the plastic threaded piece, that probably needed about 0.0004 foot-pounds torque to unscrew. I held the bar vertically and used it like a screwdriver. Good thing I had a breaker bar!

The job took less than 5 minutes. Unscrewed the retainer, found 3 of 4 cogs broken, popped ‘em out, replaced them, screwed back together, snap the cover back on. When I first discovered the problem with the agitator, I honestly thought I would need to replace the 22-year-old washing machine, but I guess I saved another $600 or so.
Old 07-09-2022, 02:38 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Another annual update. Still running for another year (did a seal replacement last year, mentioned a few posts back).

So that's 34 years on the machine, another seven years after I first posted this, and some people saying don't bother. The original fix 7 years ago was a cakewalk, the seal replacement last year a bit more work.

What are the odds a new machine would have caused more trouble than this in the past 7 years?

-ERD50
I just realized I missed the July 2021 update (what, no one noticed and PM'd me? )

Well, that's because we sold that house along with the washer/dryer in the Spring of 2021.

I did half-joke with the new owners that they were getting a classic, retro model - I'm not sure they were impressed. But I did mention that I was told this was one of the most reliable models made, and to try to keep it going as long as I could get parts. So it was in good order at least up until 2021, so ~ 35 years and (maybe) still counting.

They mentioned they were going to move the W/D to the basement, so maybe they don't care that they're old, and did keep running them?

Let's see how long the new ones (GE) we bought for the 'new' place last! If built as good as the old Maytag (I doubt it), they would likely outlast me.

The race is on! One year and counting.

-ERD50
Old 07-12-2022, 09:48 AM   #94

ERD 50,
I get it, keeping old stuff working, and saving in the process. I've been doing this my whole life.

I'm starting to switch over to the "blow that dough" team in my retirement years. I ordered up all new appliances for my Florida townhome, and have no regrets doing that.

I think I meqt someone who could match you. My partner and I went to visit her parents in NY this spring. They have an old cape cod that they had built 60 years ago. Original owners. He just turned 90.

They had new countertops put into their old kitchen at some point, but I swear the dishwasher and stove look at least 30 years old. When did the start making dishwashers anyway? It looks gross even. He says it works great, so he won't replace it.

It kind of made me smile.

Take care, JP

FYI, they have the money to do whatever they want.
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:55 AM   #95

My Maytag Bravos is only 13 years old, so far I had retrieve a sock out of the

discharge comb, replace the 4 support springs in each corner and remove the drum from the shaft, because it was froze in place and would not float as it was supposed to. This was a real job, My wife had the 5lb sledge hammer beating on a 4x4 against the shaft will I held the basket up. It was over 100 blows with the sledge hammer before we finally got it loose. I cleaned it up with emery cloth and it is still moving freely after 4 years.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 12:44 PM   #96

Quote:

-ERD50
The only time I'll consider junking an older washing machine is if the gears and/or shafts in the transmission wear to the point of being non-functional. And this rarely happens. Everything else is easy to replace and the parts are cheap. It usually takes a lot less effort to repair an old washing machine than it does to shop for a new one, and install it.

We have a Maytag machine with a stainless steel tub of about the same vintage, and the only repairs it's needed to date is a lid switch and timer. Both were easy to diagnose, inexpensive to purchase and easy to replace.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 06:13 AM   #97
Confused about dryer sheets

We have a Maytag that’s about 40 years old. It stopped spinning and draining 2 years ago in the middle of covid. Didn’t want to go out looking for a new machine, so I did some troubleshooting online and found that a pulley had worn out, so ordered a new one for around $15, easily installed it with a new belt, and it’s been running like new. In 40 years, the only other thing I had to replace was the timer.
There is nothing different with todays machines, other than having cheaper parts and they are built to be harder to repair.
paul2102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 08:34 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2102 View Post
We have a Maytag that’s about 40 years old. It stopped spinning and draining 2 years ago in the middle of covid. Didn’t want to go out looking for a new machine, so I did some troubleshooting online and found that a pulley had worn out, so ordered a new one for around $15, easily installed it with a new belt, and it’s been running like new. In 40 years, the only other thing I had to replace was the timer.
There is nothing different with todays machines, other than having cheaper parts and they are built to be harder to repair.
Great!

Now you can take over the annual updates on this thread I left my machine when we sold the house, last year so no more updates from me, but you are already ahead with 40 years!

I'll put it on my calendar to check this thread next year

-ERD50
Old 07-18-2022, 12:51 PM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

We've had our Kenmore Washer 27 years, and it's only broken twice. Once I fixed with a $20 part..Appliance man told us it's the best washer ever made.
Livefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 02:16 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

We've had a spate of appliance failures. Door handle on our frontload 24" wide Danby stacking washer broke. Stacking Danby dryer started making horrible noises while turning the drum. Side-by-side GE frig started having soft ice cream. The GE has been in use since we moved in about 23 years ago - replaced ramped "self closing" plastic hinges with used earlier model metal hinges from an appliance store's stack of junk appliances and the automatic ice maker with new just after the 1 year warranty expiration, no problems since till now. The Danbys are newer, maybe 15 years old.

We were up for new replacements - but the 24" wide washer/dryer sets were somewhere around $1600-$2000 and very sparse as far as choice - and non-existent to look at physically. Refrigerator-freezer units were more available, but delivery and setup is problematic and the cost was somewhere between $1300 and $2500.

So then we started reading reviews and found that modern appliances might last five years. Lots and lots of unhappy customers. Sigh. I'm trying to just throw money at problems, I really am, but buying new problems just irks me.

Ended up sourcing a new belt for the dryer (not easy, had one coming from a seller in England after I tracked down the strange size/configuration, but he ended up double checking and didn't have the right part - then it became available from the US on Ebay).

Washing machine was a bigger problem - no Danby door parts other than a handle spring available. Finally found a terrible YouTube video of a door for a different make washer being disassembled and got the clue needed, which let me get the door taken apart, where I found the plastic surround for the handle totally broken off. Epoxy and fingers crossed, we've done 6 loads so far..

Was able to source defrost heaters and thermostat for the freezer compartment and installed them - evidence indicates a good fix.

Total cost for all repairs about $145 and some of my time, but probably less time than we spent researching and shopping for new replacements.

Call me crazy, or maybe just lazy.