Creative ERs - books, blogs, music and art created by our members

This is a very short nonfiction book that discusses the science and technology in my fiction book, Yesterday's Thief:

Both are FREE.

My first novel, "An Accidental Family" - a 'The End of Civilization as We Know It' story with a retired soldier/farmer as hero is available for $2.99 in Kindle format:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LVU5ILA

Reserve a weekend for reading, as it's a long book - 800 pages. If you like it, check back again in a few months as several more books are in progress.

WTG, Papa. Great reviews!

please visit my retirement blog and make comments www.theretirementspt.com you may find it informative will post all types of topics.
Very nice blog. I liked the articles about Bob Brinker and Dave Ramsey. We had similar experiences with their philosophies. Bob Brinker did school us on Vanguard and shark attacks, we were novice investors at the time (early-mid 90's). I appreciate that. But the Market Timer newsletter was too much. We ended up sticking to VG and 60/40. It worked for us.
Dave Ramsey, best advice he had...get out of debt. Actually, that's the only advice we followed but his talk show was entertaining.

Excellent. I want to see both hands next time!

travel Blog

Hopefully, this is the place to post our travel blog.
Travels Around the World With Steve & Kathy

The software we used to create the site has been superseded, and we could not see making a new website. Please enjoy our travels as we did.

There are 42 trip stories posted broken down into 4 categories:
Ocean cruises
River cruises
Land trips abroad
Land trips in the US
There is also a 5th category of some trips I took before meeting my wife, including a trip to China and the Trans-Siberian Express.
There are also stories about me flying a jet, a helicopter, and a B-25

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent. I want to see both hands next time!

I’ll try to next time. As is evident I don’t do much production on them [emoji1783] I usually make them just as a sketch book so I can go back later and decide if it’s one worth working on more.

neat, my brother has a Chapman Stick as well, not sure if he still plays it much.

I got one a long time ago and didn’t play it much till I FIREd and I decided I wanted to get better at it. It’s a lot of fun once you get over the beginners hump of everything sounding like a cross between a typewriter and a harpsichord [emoji1782]

Fledgling International Entrepreneur at 65 .

Almost 7 months ago I decided to build a website and offer my services as a developer. So it meant I needed to learn Wordpress find a host and learn about the mystical Search Engine Optimization (SEO) -Essentially how Google decides in what order to show sites when someone enters “Labradoodle” in their text search box. Some people pay to get on top and others do so organically with great and voluminous content. I’ve come to appreciate the Googles power as gate keepers. Traffic to my site was well the sound of “crickets” but if you haven’t learned patience by 65 you never will. I learned that it could take up to a year to get any traction. Well I have continued to add “pages” (content) and out of the blue a very nice retired lady called me and asked if I could automate some Amazon Seller reporting. I quoted a cheap price (to start the enterprise and possibly get a reference). Got it to the point where it would “work flawlessly” (her words not mine). She paid me and said she “might be back in touch”. Well about then I got a notion to build some software “on spec”. It would target new small businesses - there are 40 million small businesses in the US I thought if I could just reach a small number well I might make some “scratch”. So I’ve been coding away and now have bought in 2 junior partners. One is in the UK (I advertised in a developer site for collaborators) and is contributing as well a my SIL who is a gifted proof reader, form builder and testor. Lots of free help -if it sells they will get some portion of the sales.

Guess what that first client called back with more work - I am so excited with the software product I almost wish she had-not. What I earn from her work will cover all my startup costs. The product is a couple hours work away from the final functionality and re proof reading.. this old man is busy and just having fun.. I am however back in front of the monitor. Whats that they say about old dogs?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just released this one, and today it is free on Amazon. It will also be free on Sept 3.

QSjxs42.png

I plotted out this book based on what's called "The Hero's Journey."

I published my first audiobook a few days ago:

Click here to see it on Audible.com (you can listen to a sample).

I spent the money (#blowthedough) for a top-flight narrator who's done over 450 books. You can see him in this video:

https://vimeo.com/229311370

I need to sell 300 to break even on the $2K production cost. Who knows whether I will?

I can give away a limited number of free review copies (with the hopes that you'll leave a review on Audible.com). PM me if you want one.

The audiobook of Sufficient Evidence is now out, and I have some free ones to give away. Unless you're in the UK, copy one of these promo codes and paste it into the box at https://audible.com/acx-promo . If the code is already taken try the next one.

QE5E9UQG4EBN3
QSQ3CG73N8A9G
RNAUEF5UKEJBE
SLY77UCD4R8TB
TK5A5JS4YES77

Congrats Al on all of your success. I have 2/3 Best Sellers (in my head) and am contemplating about starting my first novel. I know the world is full of unfinished 1 chapter books and am a little weary about adding to them.
Is there any advice you can give to someone just starting out about layout or any aspect you consider important ? Any advice is appreciated. Thank You in advance :)

Congrats Al on all of your success. I have 2/3 Best Sellers (in my head) and am contemplating about starting my first novel. I know the world is full of unfinished 1 chapter books and am a little weary about adding to them.
Is there any advice you can give to someone just starting out about layout or any aspect you consider important ? Any advice is appreciated. Thank You in advance :)

A few years ago I was where you are now.

I suggest you take a look at my How to Write shelf on GoodReads:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/30180169-al-macy?shelf=how-to-write&sort=rating

These are particularly good:

a1HHVuM.png

I have a rule: Once I start writing, I must finish writing the book. Several of my books wouldn't have been finished without that rule. Outlining will help you know whether the book will work before you start writing.

Those books should inspire you. Good luck!

I appreciate the timely response and the suggestions. I will absolutely take a look. I actually just finished doing a rough sketch outline. I keep having different “scenes” pop into my head and feel I have a story to tell. As you know, the trick is to make those “scenes” into a cohesive story. One, where someone will find interesting enough, to want to read. It kind of brings a whole new meaning of getting into your head. Lol

I have read about Scrivener. I can see how it can be helpful in keeping things organized.
No worries about the delay. I fully understand the very real struggle for time.

Some christmas sketches..

This is a set of off-the-cuff christmas songs i've made the last couple years. Maybe someday i'll make a christmas album with more polished versions. For now , I hope you enjoy them such as they are. Cheers! i'm not smart enough to get the playlist to embed directly. if you know how. let me know and i'll fix it :)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWcQYur3IdxnFXt7-QrAvIz85RHrnSFcv

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom