Curling in the Olympics

I think floridas going to take the record on the mosquito thing.

I flew one of them from miami to ft lauderdale once.

12oz curls...

As Gallagher once said:

"Bowling... the object of the game is to do the same thing over and over and over... Won't that be fun..."

"Skiing... You get on top of a slippery mountain with sleds on your feet, and you go down... Try not to!! Go up; now that would be a sport..."

2006 Olympic Games
These are the Olympic Games not Olympic Sports

I don't think the Greeks had snow sports in mind anyway, but if they knew about it they probably would have had Curling. ;)

Invented in the 1500's by who else? - THE SCOTS :D
Played by men like this stout lad

img_365053_0_ac3bf4e3849fd4c860a496c07e694ec6.jpg

and some gals like this one:
img_365053_1_2496c0ac0e580835ca7d1f23c40e2e2b.jpg

Curling is a game of skill and strategy - a combination of boccie ball, shuffleboard, and chess.

It belongs in the Olympic Games.
I think there's entirely to much emphasis on sport in the Olympics anyway. :mad:

p19bpopup.gif

Martha....I'm with you on watching woman's curling. I've enjoyed watching it.

I'm still trying to figure out the rules and scoring..just by watching it. I think it's harder than it looks.

DanTien said:
I don't think the Greeks had snow sports in mind anyway, but if they knew about it they probably would have had Curling. ;)

Invented in the 1500's by who else? - THE SCOTS  :D

Yeah, but they also invented the caber toss. :crazy:

KB said:

I'm still trying to figure out the rules and scoring..just by watching it. I think it's harder than it looks.

The scoring is based on who has the most stones closest to the middle of the "target". Complications come from guarding, bumping and when and if you can bump or take out another team's stones.

Martha said:
The scoring is based on who has the most stones closest to the middle of the "target".  Complications come from guarding, bumping and when and if you can bump or take out another team's stones.

Sounds painful. No wonder this is more of a women's sport...

Martha said:
The scoring is based on who has the most stones closest to the middle of the "target". Complications come from guarding, bumping and when and if you can bump or take out another team's stones.

This all sounds very, very naughty. Combined with the photo...I may have to start watching this 'curling' thing on tv...

Honkie said:
.....and why is Baseball / Softball an Olympic sport? Given that most participants are stationary for extensive periods of time and very very few other countries have even the remotest interest in it?

They are talking away baseball and softball from the Olympics... they are summer sports...

What is up with beach volleyball?

Texas Proud said:
They are talking away baseball and softball from the Olympics... they are summer sports...

What is up with beach volleyball?
Volleyball was invented by the YMCA for guys who weren't up to playing basketball. :D

KB said:

I first watched curling in 2002 and didn't really get too into it. This year, I made it a point to catch the US Women's team mostly due to the hottieness of certain players. Unfortunately they didn't medal, but at least they look better than the Canadian contingent!

I read an article that was bemoaning the Canadian team's lack of medals in curling. The story said that Canada has 1 million curlers, or 94% of the world's curlers!

Martha said:
The scoring is based on who has the most stones closest to the middle of the "target".  Complications come from guarding, bumping and when and if you can bump or take out another team's stones.
What do they do in the summer?  Shuffleboard?

DanTien said:
and some gals like this one:
Hey, Dan, you forgot the rest of the story, and it's for a good cause too!

http://www.thecurlingnews.com/calendar.html (definitely not workplace safe)
http://www.badjocks.com/archive/2005/oct3005.htm (not much better)

Wanderalot, the Canadian Women won the Bronze Medal, the men are playing for the Gold.

Canada has won 18 Medals, 14 have been won by the Women, Klassen , a Mennonite , has won 4.

I am not upset we did not win Gold in Hockey, i think t is great other countries have taken our game to Higher levels.

2010 the Games are in Vancouver, you Yanks should try to make it.

One story you did not get down South , a Jamaican , inspired by the John Candy Movie, Cool Running, about the Jamaican Bob Sled Team, took Canadian Citizenship, won Gold.

This kid makes Jimmy Browne look small, NFL should grab him, he could mow through any lineman.

The rules of curling sound a lot like those of "bowls".. I didn't even know this sport existed until I saw my husband watching it on Sky Sport here in Europe. Same idea: 2 players have the same number of heavy ovoid balls that they roll to try to get closest to the target. There's a billiard-like strategy of trajectory (which is wierd due to the balls' not being perfectly round) and also bumping the opponent out OR trying to jam him up so his next shot is more difficult..

Maybe curling evolved from people wanting to play bowls in the winter?

Sky Sport also broadcasts snooker for hours on end. It's amusing to hear the Italian announcers try to prounouce "boooewwlls" and "snnooookerrr" and all the Anglo-Saxon names of the players.

Both of these are actually rather relaxing to watch. Way better than golf, though that may not be saying much... It's also nice to watch sports/games that are not heavily sponsored and hyped; it's like a window into an older, calmer world.

Good Luck to the US, it looks like they will win Bronze, Canada plays for Gold.

Schools in Newfoundland will be closed for half day so that the kids can see their home Town Lads play.

How can you say anything bad about a place where Towns are called Conception Bay and Come By Chance:confused:

As long as we are going there: Intercourse, PA is right up the road from Blue Balls. :-[

setab

Back
Top Bottom