NYTimes Online Subscription Pricing

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm sure there are plenty of savvy shoppers here that already know this but I thought it was worth mentioning.

A year ago I started a promotional subscription for the NY Times online edition, full access (includes the basic subscription plus Games, Food, The Athletic) for $6 every 4 weeks. At the time I put a tickler in my calendar to cancel my subscription a week before it was set to auto-renew at the full rate.

Today I went to the NYTimes site and clicked on My Account, then clicked Manage Subscription. My subscription was set to auto-renew next week for the price of $25 for 4 weeks.

A window popped up for a chat session. I figured I'd see what kind of discount they offered for renewing my subscription. The chat window was asking me what I wanted to discuss. My negotiating instinct kicked in and I typed in an open ended question: "When is my subscription set to renew?"

Answer was, "October 21st". Then, "Do you want to re-subscribe?"

"No, not if it's going to be $325 a year."

Response was swift: "How about $4 every 4 weeks, or $52 a year?"

"OK, sign me up."

I'm now contemplating signing up for the Wall Street Journal because they are offering a promotional rate of $1 per week.

Brings back memories of when I would call AOL to cancel my annual membership. They would toss in free months to try and [-]bribe [/-] get me to stay.

Sounds like you are a regular reader and had a great deal and didn't even have to talk to a live person on the phone.

I don't believe in newspaper subscriptions. Guess I get the news "out in the streets" :cool:.

Yes, I have been at $4 a week for, well, years now. Yikes. I just realized I never changed my billing with them since I moved to state without a sales tax. I've been paying $4.26 a week for the last 3 1/2 months when it should be $4.

Anyway, yes, I always go in to cancel the renewal and they ask why and then they move it back to $4.

Oh - about the WSJ - I don't read it enough to subscribe to it. But I do subscribed to Apple One Premium and that includes Apple News Plus and I can read WSJ through that. Of course, have to be an Apple user to make that worthwhile.

WSJ is great and yes they have some great specials. Can get a bundle with Barron's, even better.

I do not read NYT but nice to know it can be had cheaply.

Back
Top Bottom