Curse of Obsession with Making Money

Thanks, all, for your thoughts. I guess it's more common that I thought, at least with the folks here. I have a lot of noodling to do now to try and understand myself better.

--Dale--

Nah, I am one and no doubt many others here,... but I always think "what would make barrels of money and also be fun?" The happiest and most contented people I have heard of or known [not many] had that combination going.
Glad to know there's someone else out there with this "problem". But, yeah, if it ever starts sounding like "no fun", I have no problem dropping the idea.
1.If you have kids or other beneficiaries, how much you want
to leave them
I consider my job with the kids done after I raised them and got them through college.
2. How much value you place on being engaged in making money as opposed living life, if u have enough already
I try to think of ways to have fun "living life", then I realize, while I wasn't paying attention, my plan turned into how to have fun and make a few bucks, hehe.
You might consider trying to live without monetary reward to explore what it is like.
Good idea. I don't have any real experience at it, it's all just thoughts and plans while I count-down these last few months.
If you are driven because you think making money is really fun, then it's less problematic. Go have fun!
I think that's it. But I think I will sit with this thought for a time. I haven't done that.
Hi Dale you are among friends here at money makers anonymous.
Thanks! Luckily I've not got the stock-picking bit of OCD, just other kinds, hehe.
build the boat
I just might make a project out of it. First, I'd need to travel the world to visit all of the other people that are building this specific kind of boat I'm looking at, though. That's the OCD..need to do it right if I'm going to do it.
Let's see: you actually don't have to MAKE money (OK, maybe some money), but you say you have a need to THINK about making money. So, if you didn't think about making money, what would you think about instead?
Yep, it's irrational. But what would I think about is a great question. Maybe I'm worried that if I didn't think about making money, I'd not be fulfilled. But then again, I could see myself forgetting the whole money making thing and concentrating on sailing and "just living".
No you are not, but are you just looking for confirmation or to change?
I was honestly curious if other folks here found themselves drifting into money making aspect when they were planning their leisure. For me, it happens often. And of course "am I the only one" was hyperbole. But I did get my answer: it's very common with people here.
I have some activities that do not make money. One of these would be ruined (I think) if business were introduced into it.
That's huge. Because if it becomes "work", then it might become "no fun", even though it's exactly the same thing you thought used to be fun.

...(snip)...
That's huge. Because if it becomes "work", then it might become "no fun", even though it's exactly the same thing you thought used to be fun.
Making the activity a money maker has other ramifications. Suppose you are enjoying oil painting (plein air = outdoors painting) and you could see a way to display your works and make a few extra $'s. You'd have the satisfaction of competing and maybe winning in some "paintout's" and maybe being a noted regional artist. But many artists then start orienting their work towards what sells as opposed to what interests them. They might start slanting their works towards particular styles and subjects that are "in" at the time. So that is a fundamental problem I think.

Of course, there will always be people who want to combine their love of an activity with the real need to make a living. Some though including the OP would not need to do this. In that case I think they might be better off leaving the competitive playing field to the one's who need the $'s and concentrating on a purer form of that activity. At least that person should consider having one activity that might grow over time and that does not include $'s.

But if one just has to combine the activity with $'s then one should be aware of the hazards. One is unlikely to hurt anyone except themselves with the decision.

Back
Top Bottom