Desperate plea on cost of doors

JoeWras

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I've run out of ideas on finding this info, so you good people always come through.

I'm working with a non-profit that is trying to install doors that are all-accessible, i.e. have the handicap power opener option. We need both the door and power opener.

We tried to get estimates, but get ghosted. We only need a "rough guess" for a grant application.

I guessed $10k for a double door, medium use commercial door. Other board members think I'm crazy with this guess. Maybe I am, but I don't think so. This would include door install: take out current broken door, replace with new, electrical, and push button install.

Does anyone have experience with this? Just a rough guess within 30% or so.

In December we ordered doors and windows for a house we are building. Lead time 5 months and once the order is placed, no changes are permitted. Prior to that, in April, I got ballpark numbers from the area rep for the manufacturer. By the time we placed our order, their list prices had gone up 30% and there was another 5% increase in the pipeline. I beat the rep up pretty badly over this because I had the ballpark numbers in at least two of his emails to me. As a result of not enjoying this process, he has resolved to never again offer ballpark numbers to anyone. Good luck.

Well, we know about the price increases. ;)

What I'm seeing out there is something like this:

- Door: $2,500
- Auto closer, ADA: $2,000
- Installation: $2,000
- Electrical: $1,000

Total: $7,500

I upped it to $10k to my board because of what Oldshooter is complaining about.

Really appreciate the pointers, njhowie. I don't think I'm crazy, although the board will probably write the grant at $7,500, just because.

EDIT UPDATE: thanks ShokWaveRider. See, I'm not nuts!

Last edited:
DW and I were considering a move to a different house recently. It's an older house that need significant upgrades but could be very nice when done. However, the uncertainty of material costs and labor issues made us reconsider...so we aren't going anywhere soon.

Somewhat related, I need to replace a surge suppressor on an electrical sub panel. I purchased one a couple of years ago and it was about $150; today, the same item is $320.

In December we ordered doors and windows for a house we are building. Lead time 5 months and once the order is placed, no changes are permitted. Prior to that, in April, I got ballpark numbers from the area rep for the manufacturer. By the time we placed our order, their list prices had gone up 30% and there was another 5% increase in the pipeline. I beat the rep up pretty badly over this because I had the ballpark numbers in at least two of his emails to me. As a result of not enjoying this process, he has resolved to never again offer ballpark numbers to anyone. Good luck.

My DW has been dealing with this with some of the contractors her company uses for SFH rental repairs/improvements. A couple of the project managers she has talked to said they are now adding a "15-20%" premium for repairs that aren't completed with items already in stock or readily available. The institutional investors (Wall Street) are not happy with this as they think it's unreasonable.

My neighbor is rebuilding and expanding his garage, so he was getting rid of the existing rollup door which was still in decent condition. This week, he put it on Craig's list or something like that and within 10 minutes some guy called him to take it. Then the guy drove 160 miles one way from Bethlehem, PA to Milford, CT to pick it up in his truck. Evidently, garage doors have grown scarce and builders cannot finish new built houses because they can't buy garage doors.

My neighbor is rebuilding and expanding his garage, so he was getting rid of the existing rollup door which was still in decent condition. This week, he put it on Craig's list or something like that and within 10 minutes some guy called him to take it. Then the guy drove 160 miles one way from Bethlehem, PA to Milford, CT to pick it up in his truck. Evidently, garage doors have grown scarce and builders cannot finish new built houses because they can't buy garage doors.

That explains why our neighbor doesn't have a garage door yet. A tree fell on the house and crushed the garage completely. Had to be rebuilt from foundation up. Everything looks to be done, but no door!

In our area - there is tremendous variation on installation. We had to replace 9 sets of double doors.

Install ranged from $800 to $3,000 per door. No rhyme or reason to variation. It’s not like the $3k was better or more reputable or even booked up.

Total cost ranged (if someone did all work, including material) from $7k to over $40k - with the same Andersen door / part number.

That was pre-CoVid and I’ve heard there is even more variation now.

Interesting. Oddly enough, that is something we are replacing and it's doesn't seem to be too much of an issue. We have two doors and both are non-standard. One of them was damaged by the previous owner and eventually you couldn't use the automatic opener anymore...and this is a no-go for the DW. Anyway, we got someone out about a month ago to price replacements for both. They warned us that since they were non-standard, it could be as long as 2 months before they show up.

Well, about a week later we got a message saying they were delivered, but because they are so busy, it might be a while before they can install them; but much to my surprise, they will be out next Monday...so a total of 33 days from the time they came out to give us an estimate to installed. That isn't so bad, IMHO.

Might have to put the old ones up for sale, though!

Just FYI. One of the ghosts suddenly dropped us an estimate for medium duty double doors:

- Door: $6,700
- Operator: $5,000
- Electrical: $1,400

Total: $13,100

So the board of directors thought I was nuts at my $10k estimate. They have a little suprise coming their way.

My DW has been dealing with this with some of the contractors her company uses for SFH rental repairs/improvements. A couple of the project managers she has talked to said they are now adding a "15-20%" premium for repairs that aren't completed with items already in stock or readily available. The institutional investors (Wall Street) are not happy with this as they think it's unreasonable.

Milwaukee has seen a big influx of out-of-state corporations buying up single-family homes and duplexes in the central city. Lots of older housing stock going cheap. The idea that repairs will cut into the owners' cash flow does not bode well for the renters -- or the city. https://www.jsonline.com/in-depth/news/2021/04/15/milwaukee-rentals-overtaken-corporate-landlords-raking-profits/6989234002/

When my BiL died in 2015, he was living in the last owner-occupied home on the block. The former mayor, Tom Barrett, lives a few blocks to the south.

Milwaukee has seen a big influx of out-of-state corporations buying up single-family homes and duplexes in the central city. Lots of older housing stock going cheap. The idea that repairs will cut into the owners' cash flow does not bode well for the renters -- or the city. https://www.jsonline.com/in-depth/news/2021/04/15/milwaukee-rentals-overtaken-corporate-landlords-raking-profits/6989234002/

When my BiL died in 2015, he was living in the last owner-occupied home on the block. The former mayor, Tom Barrett, lives a few blocks to the south.

Yep. The number of properties my DW oversees that are now institutionally or VC owned is probably 90% of her company's portfolio and it's happening all over the country and this isn't good for renters. The number of "extra fees" has gotten ridiculous and it's all about the metrics and profit; everything else be damned. Another trend is that many VC companies are buying larges swaths of land and developing SFHs for rental communities.

What is especially scary about this is that some of the folks that are running the funds have no clue about real estate. I hear my DW talking to these ivy league VCs and I would think she is trying to explain some very basic concepts to a fifth grader. I think this quote by one of the investors in the shared article sums it up well... "We're not real estate guys, we're tech guys."

The only good thing about it is that it's wearing on DW...so perhaps she will FINALLY join me in retirement! :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom