Front Door Visit From New Edward Jones Representative

Tranquility Base

Recycles dryer sheets
I had an interesting visit with a new Edward Jones representative in my city the other day. I heard the doorbell ring when I was upstairs. I don't usually answer the door but I had seen a neighbor out in his yard and for some reason guessed he might have come over to ask me something. So I answered the door even though I was anxious to get cleaned up after doing my own yard work.

It was not my neighbor. It was a younger man in his late 30s or early 40s (I am terrible at guessing ages). He was very pleasant and was not pushy; I will give him that much. Right away he told me he wasn't selling anything and asked a few questions about the house next door which is for sale. After some brief conversation I managed to pull out of him that he is setting up a new EJ office in town. (Gees, another one? Like most/many cities, where I live, EJ offices are as numerous as dandelions and crabgrass.) Right now he is still working with a mentor/trainer.

I chose not to answer various questions of his such as my name, whether I worked or was retired, what my line of work was, etc. Just looking at me and given the time of day, it should have been pretty obvious whether I still worked or was retired. Even though I didn't answer his questions, I did tell him what I thought about EJ, EJ's website, EJ's pushing of funds with big front end loads and high expense ratios, and how generally EJ's focus was on anything but the actual customer/investor. I wasn't trying to put him down or make him miserable standing in the cold and the wind. But I didn't seek him out; he rang my doorbell and sought me out. So I felt free to share my opinion about EJ.

I told him at one point that although I was a self-directed investor and did not care for EJ, perhaps there was a place for EJ and other brokerages like it for some investors. Perhaps for an investor who would be prone to jump off a cliff the first time they experienced a downturn in the market. Or an investor who would otherwise be sucked into terribly inappropriate investments or invest in whatever the person next door told them was "hot." I also mentioned assisting an inexperienced investor to avoid cryptocurrency (granted, not everyone shares my opinion of crypto) and Ponzi schemes.

I mentioned the recent crypto fund mess created by Sam Bankman-Fried. I couldn't remember the name of the exchange (FTX) but I specifically referred to him by name, said he was currently on trial , said he was often named in the media as "SBF, and described him as the kid with the big head of floppy hair who had to be extradited from the Bahamas to the United States. I don't know how much of a poker face I have but I certainly needed one when the EJ rep told he had never heard of Sam Bankman-Fried. Huh? I also could see the face of Bernie Madoff in my mind but couldn't think of his name. I referred to Madoff as the most recently convicted Ponzi schemer who had died at the Federal prison in Butner, NC. That didn't ring any bells either.

It was getting colder by the minute so I ended the conversation so I could get back to what I was doing. But now I kind of wish I had suggested he talk to some of my neighbors. Maybe he would want to talk to John Bogle who lives in the white house across the street. Or Chuck Schwab who lives next door to the Bogles. And there is Bernie Madoff who lives in the blue house down the street at the corner. Or Jerome Powell who is my back yard neighbor. It would have been interesting to see if he recognized any of the names of my "neighbors." So you are going to go to work as an Edward Jones representative and you've never heard of Sam-Bankman-Fried?

How much time did this visit take? You might’ve made his day.

How much time did this visit take? You might’ve made his day.

It probably was about 10-15 minutes. It seemed longer because it was so cold out and I had the storm door open just a crack - enough that we could hear each other and yet I was still trying to keep the heat inside the house. I'm guessing I didn't make his day but that's nice of you to say so. It's more likely that when he got to a house where no one answered the door, (after listening to me) he was just as happy to move on to the next house. I am sure he will remember our conversation and my comments for awhile. Maybe he rushed home to Google who SBF is.

I’m surprised EJ still sends trainees door to door esp when it’s cold outside.

Same thing happened here, a few months ago on a very warm summer day. EJ rep (young, probably early twenties) rang the door bell. Told him we were self-directed and not interested.

I'm not sure I would have been able to resist temptation and tell him that I'd just won the lottery, had no idea what to do with all that money, but my cousin Vinny was going to set me up with a guy he knew.

So you are going to go to work as an Edward Jones representative and you've never heard of Sam-Bankman-Fried?

Some things never change. When I was graduating in 1975, my college career center listed companies who were recruiting and what majors they wanted. The ones open to any major were looking for sales people. What I find scary is that he wasn't even interested enough in the financial markets to keep up with the news- I guess he figured if he learned enough to pass his Series 7 he was all set.

Maybe the dude needed to hear it.
Maybe he went back an thought about his career choice? doubtful :)

I'm not sure I would have been able to resist temptation and tell him that I'd just won the lottery, had no idea what to do with all that money, but my cousin Vinny was going to set me up with a guy he knew.

:LOL:

Cold calling and that is what this visit was, literally, is what bad managers tell new sales people to do when they have no other more advanced way of finding good prospects. Eddy D Jones should be ashamed.

The guy probably knocked on 200 doors before he found someone knowledgeable about investments.

When I was a kid, my dad disconnected the door bell. He believed that " no good news comes to the front door" and that anyone we know or wanted to talk to, knew to come to the back door.

He was wrong about a lot of things but I can't argue with this one.

I wouldn't talk to him, but admit having fun with his ilk on phone calls at times.

Or you can say that the guy from Ameriprise was just here yesterday and you already bought their annuities. :LOL:

Or you can say that the guy from Ameriprise was just here yesterday and you already bought their annuities. :LOL:

Back when I was around 30, I actually asked for an Ameriprise (or whatever they were called then) to come to my house and give me a financial plan. I was primed for a plump commission. Instead, all the guy did was try to get me to come work under him. I guess he made more money adding salespeople than actually selling the product. Of course, Amway was big back then, also.

Well, I give the young man props. He was out hustling work. Hope him good things (but not on my dime!)

Everyone has to make a living. I wouldn't have given that much time.

Everyone has to make a living. I wouldn't have given that much time.

Same, I can't remember the last time someone lasted more than 12 seconds on my porch, uninvited.

I’m surprised EJ still sends trainees door to door esp when it’s cold outside.

We had this happen about 4 years ago. Also told him we were self-directed and very comfortable.

Did give him our email address and get a weekly market email link which I skim just to stay up with their analyst thoughts. Have not been bothered with any other sales pitches or calls so it was never a negative situation.

Few days ago someone knocked on my door when I opened it there were 2 beautiful girls who introduced themselves to me as I said, "Sorry I'm on a long-distance call" and shut the door. I assumed they were Jehovah's Witnesses but maybe the were Edward Jones.

I wonder if the trainee has heard of Sam Bankman-Fried now. Big mistake for SBF to take the stand in his own defense. Nonetheless, the end was probably inevitable anyway.

Well, I give the young man props. He was out hustling work. Hope him good things (but not on my dime!)

The problem is the young man needs guidance and leadership. Finding prospects knocking on a door is virtually useless and will only burn him out.
I was in sales most of my life, owning my own business for a good chunk of that time. There is working hard and there is working smart. I blame the management for this charade.

Back
Top Bottom