Did you get buyers remorse?

Optionallyretired

Dryer sheet aficionado
So we bought this incredible place on 5 acres 2 months ago and have been absolutely hanging to get out there!! Until today..

We went for the pre closing inspection and the gardens have been left without being done with some plants dying, the place doesn't look as nice without the furniture and could use a paint job, we notice other bits and pieces that arent exactly new and just now realise it's a bit farther than we'd like to commute.. What gives!?

It's a little scary moving now and I'm all the sudden having second thoughts which leads me to ask the question: Did you get buyers remorse buying your home? Why? And how did it turn out?

Sorry about that, but look on the bright side. Now you really have the motivation to fix it up the way you want it.

Your feelings are normal for most large purchases. Time to roll up the sleeves and dive into making the property what you envisioned. I think everyone has some remorse and insecurities about something new and different. I hope you enjoy your new adventure!!!

VW

Houses always look more worn with no furniture. You can’t see that the sofa was marking up the wall until the sofa is moved, photos that hung on the wall for years left ghosting, etc. A fresh coat of paint is relatively easy / inexpensive, so that problem can be easily solved. It will feel like home when you have your things there.

Not surprising that the landscaping was neglected. Once the deal was made, why would the sellers put a lot of effort in to keeping everything looking good? Heck, we still live here and I let some of the landscaping go this year because the incessant rain made it hard to find nice days for yard work. Next year you can keep it nice if you want.

Can’t do anything about the commute.

Yes, I’ve had the same experience. For me, maybe a bit worse. After two years in the house, I’m finding that what I bought was a bunch of stuff at the end of its life. That doesn’t bother me for most things because we gutted the house and redid it anyway, but then I had to replace the duct work that was never installed correctly, the air conditioning compressor went this year and now the whole house generator is giving me problems. OTOH, we are where we want to be and thankfully none of these are budget busters. We’re near our grandkids so that makes up for a lot.

Relax. Live there for 5 years and then decided whether or not you want to move. Just be careful. If you’re not committed to a house, be very tight with major improvements. You’ll not get your money back.

This stuff is common except for the commute thing, nothing you can do about the driving distance. I have a 4 acre farm yard and the amount of outside upkeep it requires is a big PITA...

Hang in there and things will get better. Take your time and attack the projects one by one (not like me.) Think how nice it will be to have enough room where you can have peace and quiet.

I did live on 4 acres backing up to 100 acres of wilderness green space. Our "new" house in the city has a large yard, but I still cannot run my ATV or make too much noise without getting looks from neighbors that I have never met after 2 years.

once you get it fixed up and get a new mustang gt premium to get you to w*rk faster you will be happy

We downsized three years ago, and when we initially viewed the house with the agent, I gasped when I walked in because it was EXACTLY what we wanted. We couldn't find a thing wrong with it. When we moved in a couple of months later, we saw the big gash on the hardwood floor in the kitchen, and all the nail holes in the wall, and realized we really had wanted a three car garage, where will I put all my kitchen stuff, and gosh, how'd we never notice all that road noise when we're on the deck? It was a little jarring, but then we got all the furniture arranged, our pictures hung, made a tweak to the deck and the warts went away. Now it's ours and we both marvel at how we found just what we wanted.

Give it a chance. Moving is a big danged deal, especially at our age.

Hasn’t happened to us, but then I tend to research major purchases to the nth degree to avoid “buyers remorse.” WADR I can’t imagine how anyone would be surprised at the commute distance on a new home, that should have been easy enough to evaluate pre purchase? And new wall paint and sprucing up landscaping are givens on most resale homes, and cheap easy “fixes.”

We’ve been looking at retirement locations and homes for seven years, and hope to relocate next year so we won’t have significant buyers remorse. I think we’ve thought out as much as possible. But we may even rent for 6-12 months in the new city/state before buying to be sure. In our case, it may also help that we’ve both moved over a dozen times throughout our lives so we know the drill and we know what we want and what we don’t care about. Unless we buy new, we expect a few small surprises but not big ones or buyers remorse.

Last edited:
Paint makes a huge difference. Now that we live in the city we know all our neighbors versus the burbs on 1/4 acre lots did not know anyone. I love being in town within walking distance of downtown. It sounds like you wanted rural and land so I am sure you will enjoy it.

Not on a house for us even though I made decision reasonably quickly for a house. I guess I’m easy going, not too picky, or either that I know what I like and stick with it.

I guess buyers’ remorse is normal for big ticket items. And this is the time of the year that yards are not looking at their best. One thing of concern is that you are worried about the commuting. This is something you should got it nailed before even making an offer.

For myself, I never had any issue with the four single family houses I bought. Though I had offered more than a dozen to be able to get those four. I got two lots, too. I did sell the first lot at about 100K mark up in two years. It was a nice lot by the lake, but our finance improved greatly in two years, basically we just grow out that lot.

We never left the yard die when selling but bought from some low lives that did. I was not happy. We

So we bought this incredible place on 5 acres 2 months ago and have been absolutely hanging to get out there!! Until today..

We went for the pre closing inspection and the gardens have been left without being done with some plants dying, the place doesn't look as nice without the furniture and could use a paint job, we notice other bits and pieces that arent exactly new and just now realise it's a bit farther than we'd like to commute.. What gives!?

It's a little scary moving now and I'm all the sudden having second thoughts which leads me to ask the question: Did you get buyers remorse buying your home? Why? And how did it turn out?

Sounds like you need to FIRE and ditch the commute and use your time for some light decorating, gardening/landscaping and general updating. Do you have buyer's remorse or a case of the "not FIRE'd yet" blues?

Hasn’t happened to us, but then I tend to research major purchases to the nth degree to avoid “buyers remorse.” WADR I can’t imagine how anyone would be surprised at the commute distance on a new home, that should have been easy enough to evaluate pre purchase? And new wall paint and sprucing up landscaping are givens on most resale homes, and cheap easy “fixes.”
+1

OptionallyRetired, I am so sorry that your are going through "buyer's remorse"! Frank said that always happens when someone buys a house, but thank goodness it didn't happen to me. In fact, I have had the opposite of "buyer's remorse" on my Dream Home that I bought 3 years ago.

Since everyone knows that real estate is all about location, location, location, I had determined the best location for it before I even started looking. It is on the best block of the best street in town, for me, very walkable, very quiet and private, and very convenient to everything, not to mention next door to Frank (which wasn't a requirement, but was nice lagniappe). So, no trouble with the location. It is just super. :D

To me, the house looked MUCH more appealing without the prior owner's furniture in it. Her furniture was great, but it made me feel like a visitor and the house smelled like her perfume a bit. After her stuff was gone, the house didn't smell like that any more and had my own favorite stuff in it, and it seemed more like home to me.

I knew that I'd have to have those trees taken out, but I didn't realize what a big deal the re-landscaping project would turn out to be. Still, once it was over I felt like my new-to-me home was even better.

I haven't had to paint or do fix-up on the interior, except for one small touch-up of the paint in the living room.

You know, you've already bought the house so you are fairly committed at this point. At this point fussing about it is not a very constructive or helpful thing to do to yourself (IMO). I think it might help to focus on the nice surprises instead of the not-so-nice ones. I am sure there are aspects of your new home that you have discovered since buying, that please you. I'd suggest focusing on those and looking for more nice surprises, while you do whatever needs to be done to renovate or fix it up. If it needs paint, paint ASAP! It will be easier before you move in.

Some of my nice surprises were that the shower actually IS big enough to suit me (I wanted a huge shower and was thinking 6'x8' minimum, and it is only 43"x43" but it turns out that is plenty big enough). Another nice surprise is the sturdy, metal table-like surface outside the side door, for putting down purse and packages while opening the door. What a great idea, and so simple and easy to implement that I am surprised all homes do not have one. Picture below - - SO convenient to never have to juggle packages again while opening the door, and I never noticed it until I moved in. Plus, it never would have occurred to me to add such a thing. There were more nice surprises but I'm sure you get the idea.

Attachments

• platform.jpg
    platform.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 40
Well, anticipation is half the fun, and that half is gone now, so your feelings are not uncommon.

It seems like almost every house we've moved into (rental or purchase) has had a very dirty oven. C'mon, really?

But the new paint and a good cleaning will make things feel better. You can pick out some great audio books for the commute.

No buyers remorse here but I've only bought new homes/property. (Except for my acreage in the county and it's been here since about the time the earth was formed.:))

I did inherit a couple of houses. One we fixed up the other we sold "as is".

Fixing up a second or third hand home and getting the acreage in shape can be a lot of work but it can also be rewarding.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, we're really moving due to noisy neighbours where we are now, which is a shame after putting so much time, money and effort in. Now it looks great so here's hoping these ones are good.

The gardens are actually so expansive it scared majority of prospective buyers off, hence it's so daunting there's so much to do. The previous owner put them all in to go into open gardens we have here. It is off the charts big! Lol. But I'm a maintenance Gardener for a semi retired living so..

Most people would see this place done-up and looking good as heaven on earth, but it needs alot of yardwork. In thinking more about it, We've walked into this before and managed to do incredible things with the outdoors. It's easy to sell a home when the gardens 'look' easy maintenance when actual fact they're not. If they're well trimmed it's a deception for the buyer so at least I know it's just this seller was gung-ho putting it all in but hell lazy maintaining it. I think he got scared at just how much work he'd created and put it up for sale (lol) it's all about creating the deception of easy care yards that sells a home. Like our current house, sold at first open when nothing else is moving. The old 'easy care boutique garden' deception strikes again. They'll discover this a couple of months after noving in (we have 2.5acres here)

I was extremely exhausted last night after a huge day in the sun typing out this thread and am always more overwhelmed then so feeling a little better today for the big move

Will keep you updated, with photos! Thanks :)

Last edited:
Great advice, thanks Jerry

I can totally relate to the part about not committing to improvements. We spent $100k on doing up the place we move from. Money we'll never see again.

And also buying a bunch of stuff near the end if it's life. Irrigation is worn, pool pump and computer looks old etc etc.. Ahh well, you can't have everything and nothing's perfect. Just got to try remember that all this stuff takes months, years or even decades to do and have to stop letting it overwhelm me like it's all got to be done this weekend

We haven't even moved in yet! Lol

Yes, I’ve had the same experience. For me, maybe a bit worse. After two years in the house, I’m finding that what I bought was a bunch of stuff at the end of its life. That doesn’t bother me for most things because we gutted the house and redid it anyway, but then I had to replace the duct work that was never installed correctly, the air conditioning compressor went this year and now the whole house generator is giving me problems. OTOH, we are where we want to be and thankfully none of these are budget busters. We’re near our grandkids so that makes up for a lot.

Relax. Live there for 5 years and then decided whether or not you want to move. Just be careful. If you’re not committed to a house, be very tight with major improvements. You’ll not get your money back.

Funny how the transaction of buying is SOO much different than selling. We are selling our Atlanta home (hopefully will close next week) and will be moving to a rental while we figure out our next move in our new town. My DW has been in R/E for many years and understands (actually COMMANDS) the value of staging a home. When we sold our home in TX, it was under contract the day after it was listed. Here, although listed in the "down season", we had a bidding war less than 12 hours after the listing went live. There are similar houses (with similar updates) in our hood that have been listed for more than 30 days with asking prices LOWER than ours. But, I think it all comes down to staging.

I feel somewhat bad for the buyers, because I can already see how different it is while we are in the middle of packing/preparing for the move. And leaves are falling now...and I ain't touching them! I want the buyers to have the FULL FALL experience! :)

Back
Top Bottom