Discord - Social Media - question

SunnyOne

Recycles dryer sheets
Do any of you particlpate in the social media platform Discord? for any hobby or money making side gigs?

Seems like another thing that's mostly for millenials - but I keep hearing about it and wondering if others - middle aged people, participate.

Thanks

I have a Discord account and used the Falcondrin community to locate a GPU for my new PC build last year during the GPU shortage. I refused to buy one from scalpers who were selling them at 3 times MSRP. The server bots would search online stores for restock and alert me when one was available. Once I bought one, I had no more use for Discord.

I use Discord occasionally. It’s a great platform if you have a reason to use it. My experience is that it’s mostly used by gamers, which is why it skews to a younger demographic.

I've wandered in discord a couple of times. Been some time. As mentioned, mostly gamer folks.

If my memory serves me right, I think there are rooms and bulletin boards one can interact in. The feel reminds me a bit of old time AOL chatroom and boards.

Another plus to Discord is the availability of public APIs. I’ve written scripts (bots) to send me notifications over Discord. It’s convenient if you need that functionality. It’s hard to find a platform where you can receive notifications for free.

DH uses some discord channels for his local gaming group. I have met these guys IRL, and I assure you, they are pretty much all geezers! They are mostly playing digital versions of tabletop simulation games though, not video games.

I have a couple of discord channels, mainly for gaming with my regular group.

Do any of you particlpate in the social media platform Discord? for any hobby or money making side gigs?

Seems like another thing that's mostly for millenials - but I keep hearing about it and wondering if others - middle aged people, participate.

Thanks
I use it for keeping tabs on cryptocurrency projects.

I'm in a few personal-finance discord channels, and it's a nice avenue to chat with people in real time about budgets, ER, etc.

I use it to message my three kids, who are all 20-somethings who like video games. They respond via Discord messages much more readily than emails, texts, or phone calls. I just need a way to communicate with them, and that's what they recommended. Occasionally we'll use it for calls or video calls.

I think of it like Skype or Google Meet for 20-somethings.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom