DNA Testing and New Sibling?

Some may find this video by Veritasium interesting. It says basically, if you left DNA at the scene of a crime, there is already enough data available from people related to you that they can track you down.

My concerns are much deeper than being exposed as a criminal. I'm sure most of us break at least one law per day - on average and not only don't think about it but don't know about it. BUT most of those are relatively trivial (36 in a 35 for instance.) Having said that, not everyone participates in those DNA programs, so Im sure it's still hit and miss about finding criminals with 23 and me, etc. Still, that's NOT what folks signed on for - to have their DNA perused by (a) police (state) to look for criminals in their family. I know there have in fact been some criminals found in this way though I didn't think the police were allowed to willy-nilly peruse the DNA results of everyone. I could be wrong.

My concerns are broader. I'm thinking at some point (maybe already) some insurance company (or maybe your employer) will force you to sign a disclosure about what DNA companies you have participated with - to check your health status or who knows what. In any case, we don't even yet know what info is carried in our genes that someone might want to see in the future.

'Nuff said as I already sound paranoid to many folks here. Heh, heh, as I always say: "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!":LOL:

My concerns are much deeper than being exposed as a criminal. I'm sure most of us break at least one law per day - on average and not only don't think about it but don't know about it. BUT most of those are relatively trivial (36 in a 35 for instance.) Having said that, not everyone participates in those DNA programs, so Im sure it's still hit and miss about finding criminals with 23 and me, etc. Still, that's NOT what folks signed on for - to have their DNA perused by (a) police (state) to look for criminals in their family. I know there have in fact been some criminals found in this way though I didn't think the police were allowed to willy-nilly peruse the DNA results of everyone. I could be wrong.

My concerns are broader. I'm thinking at some point (maybe already) some insurance company (or maybe your employer) will force you to sign a disclosure about what DNA companies you have participated with - to check your health status or who knows what. In any case, we don't even yet know what info is carried in our genes that someone might want to see in the future.

'Nuff said as I already sound paranoid to many folks here. Heh, heh, as I always say: "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!":LOL:

Sitting with you on the paranoid couch.
I’m not getting any DNA testing done until these companies strengthen their privacy rules.

Sitting with you on the paranoid couch.
I’m not getting any DNA testing done until these companies strengthen their privacy rules.

It's the unexpected things that concern people. I left my Yeti cup at my broke friends and planned to pick it up until I found out he was at the farm progress show in Iowa. I texted my daughter that I didn't want my Yeti badly enough to risk exposure. Two days later I get a Yeti tumbler in my suggested items for Amazon..it's embedded into the system.

Still, that's NOT what folks signed on for - to have their DNA perused by (a) police (state) to look for criminals in their family. I know there have in fact been some criminals found in this way though I didn't think the police were allowed to willy-nilly peruse the DNA results of everyone. I could be wrong.

This is a complex issue and different sites handle it differently. No, the police are not allowed to willy-nilly peruse the DNA results of everyone.

All of the DNA sites have terms of service that explain what they can and cannot do. People should reads those terms and see if they are comfortable with them. Some sites do not allow results to be used by law enforcement. Others give users the option to allow their results to be used in law enforcement searches. These often limit these searches to specific types of crimes. This can allow law enforcement to see the same type of match info that other people can see. They aren't given access to raw DNA. An example is Gedmatch. When you create a profile at Gedmatch you can choose to allow your matches to be seen in law enforcement searches (they can see the same thing anyone who looks up your profile could see, not anything extra). If you decline, law enforcement can't see your information. Bear in mind, many people are happy that these kinds of searches can be done to find criminals such as the Golden State Killer (the most prominent example of this kind of search). The point is that you are given the choice whether to participate or not. I know people who participate and people who do not.

At the end of the day whether a specific individual decides to test or not is mostly irrelevant to what people can determine. That is, I found my birth father 5 years ago from a match that was a 3rd cousin. I didn't need my birth father to test or one of his siblings or other close relatives. I was able to identify him from tests taken by 3rd and 4th cousins. At that time Ancestry had something like 3 million people who had tested. Now, it is over 18 million. Rarely is it necessary for searching to have super close relations who have tested. (That can be difficult if you are trying to decide between two siblings as to which is the birth parent, but that isn't typical). Looking for a criminal using DNA matches isn't really any different than looking for a birth parent using DNA matches. The reality is that where a criminal's DNA has been obtained there is a good chance that person can be identified in the US even if close relatives of the criminal have been identified. Many people think that is a very good thing. I don't think we can stop progress. There was a time that DNA couldn't be used in this way to catch criminals. Now, it can be. I don't think that toothpaste can be put back into the tube.

Last edited:
This is a complex issue and different sites handle it differently.

I agree it's complex. Unfortunately, small-print from the DNA companies is not "law" it is their policy. Yes, you might be able to sue them, but that could be totally inadequate to the potential harm.

Additionally, where so-called "privacy rights" (codified in law) are actually broken, you first need a law enforcement agency to arrest AND a governmental attorney to prosecute. Most folks would be surprised what the minimal consequences of violation of (for instance) medical privacy are. I looked into this years ago as a clinic in my state required folks to fill out forms to which a picture of your State ID (aka DL) was attached as was a copy of your MC card and supplement card. In those days, your MC number was your SS number.

After returning the form, it was stuck in an in-out box on the counter where anyone could literally grab a hand full of the documents. With name, age, address, phone, SSN, DL#, and other items, an ID thief could really go to town. When I checked on the penalty for a breach of privacy of this type - it was a $1000 fine! Now, what police agency would arrest (who?) and the prosecutor would prosecute (who?) for such an insignificant "crime?" Would they arrest the clerk, the clinic administrator, the "owner" (probably a LLC or INC)?

So all the promises of confidentiality are really pretty much a "suggestion" in the eyes of the folks who oversee operations IMHO. I Don't know that this applies to DNA companies, but it wouldn't surprise me. In fact the "concept" of DNA-as-a-business is much newer than medical privacy in general. I'm betting some states have zero regulation of these companies. It's just possible the laws haven't really been written yet either. Clearly, YMMV.

In any case, see my tag line. Again.

Back
Top Bottom