Do you miss anything from your work days?

My experience is exactly like yours, even the ordering of food. I love to try new things.

Not much else

Outside of the perks of traveling (always being upgraded on plane flights, hotels, etc), and that paycheck thing, there is nothing else. Been loving retirement for seven years now, traveling and making $ in the markets.

So, I guess you are 22 weeks to RE? Congrats!

There was often one person in a larger group that HAD to have Mickey D's, or equivalent. That was their loss. If I have it twice a year, that is a lot.

Any way, different foods was a big plus to me. Everything from Chinese banquets to street food.

The few things I don't eat;
Fried bugs ( I might try them, but no desire)
Sea snails: BTDT, slimy, chewy and no flavor. But an honor to be served, so I ate some
Chicken feet: enough said, BTDT

But that is a short list. Things that I have enjoyed is much longer, but too long to list, a few are:
Baby octopus (must be eaten with chop sticks)
Whole fried river fish (Shanghai)
Pretty much anything served to me in Shanghai.
Tabbouleh
Any Lamb in North Africa
Pretty much any thing Moroccan or Tunisian or Israeli or middle eastern

Took my w*rk group out to a "Chinese" restaurant (you know, fried rice, egg fu yung, sweet and sour pork/chicken, etc.). One of my direct reports, a woman of about 30 wouldn't try ANYTHING. IIRC she ate a little white rice - with butter and sugar on it. I was shocked though I don't consider myself overly adventurous when it comes to food. At least I will try just about anything (maybe not bugs, but most anything else.)

I guess I miss the w*rk group from time to time. They were decent, mostly hard w*rking and mostly competent. YMMV

Tagging along..

For me. I don't miss the work, but I DO miss the travel to other countries, and particularly eating dishes I had never seen before.

I usually had a local counterpart to see me around. When it came time to eat, some would ask if I wanted to find "American" food. I always asked them to take me to a place they would like, and to order for me. Some were a little leery about this, but after being there a few times, they knew they could really order anything, and I would try it.

While I did get some unusual things, 90+% of the time I got something I would never have found on the menu, and really enjoyed.

How about you?

My jobs never involved international travel but my DH's often did and I'd usually try to tag along. We spent time in Japan, Germany, England, and Ireland this way. One of the best meals we had in England was at an Indian restaurant near Leicester Square. (Let's face it. The Brits are not known for their cuisine, but you can find any culture's food in London!) We'd never had Indian food and admitted as much to the maitre d'. He took charge immediately, bringing us dish after dish to sample and approve before adding them to our bill. It was all wonderful and he seemed to have a great time introducing us to the food of his homeland. It's those kind of interactions with other people that really make travel memorable.

The catered lunches! :D

Whenever Subboards or other SMEs came for meetings onsite, we had amazing lunches catered for them. Once the royalty had eaten, we peasants were allowed to dine on whatever was not consumed by the ruling class. It was lovely. And free. And delicious.

Still not worth going back for, though! :LOL:

I was fortunate throughout my Megacorp career to always work out of (or report to when working from home) locations where clients regularly visited or meetings and education. It was another good reason to be on terms with the administrative staff. After lunch was finished, they would tell selective folks that food was available in such-and-such conference room, go help yourself. There were times so much was available I brought home enough for family dinner.

Since my group also provided classes and workshops, we also were able to eat on Megacorp's dime when conducting them.

My most memorable "free lunch" story was when I was invited to give a technical talk in Connecticut at a hotel for about 50 Megacorp clients. I could have driven about 5 hours, but since the hotel was near the train station I decided to take the train. That morning myself and the other speakers met around 8:00 for breakfast in the ballroom, the session was to start at 9:00. By 8:55 there was no one else other than the local team coordinating the event, including a Megacorp VP. Calls were made around, to make a long story short a mixup had occurred and zero clients would be attending. I recall the VP having fire in her eyes and saying "heads will roll for this". Since they had already purchased lunch, they just told us speakers to feel free to hang around, come back at lunch time, and "eat or take as much food as you want". I wish I had driven, I could have stocked my car very well :LOL:. Fortunately the food was not wasted, we were able to contact a local food bank and donate it.

Sometimes I miss very faintly getting all dressed in real clothes with jewelry and makeup before going to work. It was a lot of work, but felt good. This sounds very shallow, but I really don't miss working at all and I enjoy my current lifestyle.

A friend and I were saying the same thing the other day! I don't like dressing up much, and got out of my work clothes the minute I could, but I do like it sometimes and I never dress up anymore.

We were thinking that when restaurants open up we will get dressed up and put on makeup and good jewelry and go out for dinner, just because it feels good to do it (smile!)

Miss old j@b's decent Health Insurance.
Still w@rking and present job's HI has a $4,600 deductible and $8,000 out of pocket max (IF I stay in network). VERY expensive 'bridge' to Medicare.

I miss crossing off the work days for final five years...

Attachments

• yearas go by.jpg
    yearas go by.jpg
    489.9 KB · Views: 18
For 36 years I was a pilot for United, mandatory retirement (at that time) at age 60.
Since we lost some of our retirement in the bankruptcy, I missed the pay. But we still have a retirement income that's more than we need and far above what most people in the US have. And no debts.

The jet lag issue of international flying (my last 5 years) was literally a drag, though the foreign places were interesting.

Most of all, I miss the flying, the other pilots & employees, and the airplanes.
In a perfect world, I would have shifted to a mix of international and domestic flying, and kept doing it until about age 70.

Overall, it was great, and I was hugely lucky to have the job. I have no regrets about spending most of my life around airplanes.

Many of these posts show what I call "the summer camp effect". You know how years later you remember the nice parts of summer camp through a rosy haze of nostalgia, but if you really think about it: day by day it pretty much sucked.

I don't know...I really LOVED summer camp and was going to be a counselor when I got old enough but the place closed before I could. To this day, I will catch scents in the air (like a camp fire or when the air is crisp and cool with a little fog) that will take me back to my youth in the mountains of North Georgia. It was most definitely the BEST week out of my summer vacation and I went for several years. I think it's a shame that most kids don't get to "go to camp" anymore. I made the mistake of going to the abandoned camp a few years ago and while all the buildings had been razed, the foundations and big lake remained and it was sad to see. So many great times there!

OK...back to your regularly scheduled program! :D

I'm still working so maybe I don't qualify but just reading some of these makes me jealous... well the good ones about travel. Around 10 years ago I could travel once every few years for work to India and I loved every time. I overheard some people complaining about travel and could not understand. Post-RE of course I can travel on my own dime but I worry without something to do there, and some connection to people's real lives, I'm just yet another extraneous tourist, whose only use is as a source of work and money... not as a fellow worker, even if it be just a fellow cog in megacorp machine.

It probably also has to do with being cooped up in COVID-isolation, at this point talk of any kind of travel has a rosy sheen to it!

Other than that, there's never been much social interaction or camaraderie at any job I've had so I imagine I will only miss the theoretical idea that that kind of thing could have existed.

I suppose, without the work treadmill, you create your own meaning, and define to yourself what "relevance" means! Maybe rate volunteer opportunities by potential for camaraderie, but volunteer opportunities I would think skew to lower stakes, engagement, skill requirement, professionalism, what have you... so a different kind of feeling probably.

Dear Bullwinkle,
You get out of travel what you put into it. We have a plaque that r[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]eads[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]: [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.[/FONT][/FONT]
We have traveled extensively after retirement, and have experienced many moments that took our breath way.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]

Sometimes I miss very faintly getting all dressed in real clothes with jewelry and makeup before going to work. It was a lot of work, but felt good. This sounds very shallow, but I really don't miss working at all and I enjoy my current lifestyle.

A friend and I were saying the same thing the other day! I don't like dressing up much, and got out of my work clothes the minute I could, but I do like it sometimes and I never dress up anymore.

We were thinking that when restaurants open up we will get dressed up and put on makeup and good jewelry and go out for dinner, just because it feels good to do it (smile!)

This has GOT to be a solely female thing. I and every guy I know is quite comfortable going anywhere in blue jeans. "Dressing up" means a shirt with a collar on it.

DW does find this exasperating at times.:)

This has GOT to be a solely female thing. I and every guy I know is quite comfortable going anywhere in blue jeans. "Dressing up" means a shirt with a collar on it.

I swear the last couple years DW did nails it was about....

Yup.

I was fortunate throughout my Megacorp career to always work out of (or report to when working from home) locations where clients regularly visited or meetings and education. It was another good reason to be on terms with the administrative staff. After lunch was finished, they would tell selective folks that food was available in such-and-such conference room, go help yourself. There were times so much was available I brought home enough for family dinner.

Since my group also provided classes and workshops, we also were able to eat on Megacorp's dime when conducting them.

My most memorable "free lunch" story was when I was invited to give a technical talk in Connecticut at a hotel for about 50 Megacorp clients. I could have driven about 5 hours, but since the hotel was near the train station I decided to take the train. That morning myself and the other speakers met around 8:00 for breakfast in the ballroom, the session was to start at 9:00. By 8:55 there was no one else other than the local team coordinating the event, including a Megacorp VP. Calls were made around, to make a long story short a mixup had occurred and zero clients would be attending. I recall the VP having fire in her eyes and saying "heads will roll for this". Since they had already purchased lunch, they just told us speakers to feel free to hang around, come back at lunch time, and "eat or take as much food as you want". I wish I had driven, I could have stocked my car very well :LOL:. Fortunately the food was not wasted, we were able to contact a local food bank and donate it.

You betcha! I made darn sure I made friends with the meeting planners, who arranged all the catering for the groups. (It helped that I actually liked them!) :D

There were many times I would get a discreet heads up that food was available, bless their hearts. :LOL:

I tried really hard to think of something I miss from my work days but could come up with nothing. Not a damn thing.

I forgot to mention, I used to get lots of marketing SWAG, ranging from clothes to tech. Great stuff, some of which I still use today. Won't be enough to keep me work when it's time to go.

Reminds me of one Phd candidate on his way to defend his Geophysics thesis, a white T shirt whith necktie painted on it with magic marker. Was successful and was taught the double secret handshake.

Here ya go, the best of both worlds. The comfortable favorite well worn T shirt (with or or without slogans) adorned with a proper accessory. Tie is optianal.
https://www.historicalemporium.com/store/mens-accessories.php?&type=Detachable%20Collars
Vintage Style Detachable Collars

Traditionally, detachable collars were made of paper or celluloid, ephemeral materials of the time. In a nod to modern convenience, our line of collars is made of sturdy cotton fabric, washable and starchable for years of service.
We offer a a full selection of iconic detachable collars, with standard stiffness or reinforced with an extra layer for a very crisp look.

Home
> Mens
> Accessories
> Detachable Collars

Detachable Cotton Collar - High Stand
$7.95
Get More Info ADD TO CART

Right up there with the tuxedo t-shirt at weddings. [emoji3]
Reminds me of one Phd candidate on his way to defend his Geophysics thesis, a white T shirt whith necktie painted on it with magic marker. Was successful and was taught the double secret handshake.

Here ya go, the best of both worlds. The comfortable favorite well worn T shirt (with or or without slogans) adorned with a proper accessory. Tie is optianal.
https://www.historicalemporium.com/store/mens-accessories.php?&type=Detachable Collars
Vintage Style Detachable Collars

Traditionally, detachable collars were made of paper or celluloid, ephemeral materials of the time. In a nod to modern convenience, our line of collars is made of sturdy cotton fabric, washable and starchable for years of service.
We offer a a full selection of iconic detachable collars, with standard stiffness or reinforced with an extra layer for a very crisp look.

Home
> Mens
> Accessories
> Detachable Collars

Detachable Cotton Collar - High Stand
$7.95
Get More Info ADD TO CART

That sounds really fun! I miss that and it does feel good once in a while.

Miss some of the people and the work in general.

I don't miss being on call and working when emergency call would come. Work all night and most of the next days was a tough think to do. Weekends, holidays family doings I missed many and don't miss any of that. Phone rang any hour and time of each day.

I miss some hugs from clients, I was kinda a different lawyer.
I’ll say! Some of my clients once invited me to come skeet shooting with them, but there was no way I wanted to be around alcohol, guns, and my clients. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom