Do you miss anything from your work days?

I miss the gym we had at work - a place I could get away from my desk job and socialize with friends. They do offer openings to retirees, but I'm not driving across town to use them and didn't want to be hunted out in the gym for work questions. Frankly, I don't miss my work.

Just the $$$. I was always amazed that they would pay me what seemed like alot (standard engineer bucks) for such an easy, stress-free job (programming), mostly by myself with almost no meetings and minimal oversight or human interaction (until the last couple years). This feeling grew stronger in the restroom (they're paying me $65/hour to do this?)

Yes. They paid you what you know, and not what you do. I had a similar job experience.

Retired just over 2 years from a career in technical sales/systems engineering...

The list of things I miss...

1) Some of the people; some of my customers
2) Satisfaction of working on a tough technical problem and getting to a solution
3) Satisfaction of closing a deal after a long, challenging sales cycle.

The list of things I don't miss..

1) Most of the people; most of my customers
2) Sales Forecast Calls
3) Random Adjustments (always UP) to Quotas & changes to account assignments
4) Internal Conflicts / Misaligned Incentives / Backstabbing
5) Most Business Travel
6) Quarterly Business Reviews
7) Team Meetings

I have mixed feelings about travel some of it I missed, such as the airplane/rental car/hotel discounts and perks (some of which thankfully I still get as a retiree). I loved it when Megacorp went to the per diem system - on a 5 day trip I could easily pocket $100-$150 and that added it. Meeting and interacting with "celebrities" (and at times being mistaken for a celebrity, with potentially "interesting" results :)) and other interesting people (the plane ride with the exotic dancer is still a humorous highlight) were enjoyable. Being able to take DW or the entire family at times was fun.

What I do not miss about travel was the frequency. It most of my Megacorp job roles, not only did I have to travel frequently (e.g. Brussels, Miami, Shanghai, Toronto 4 weeks in a row, home last Friday or early Saturday, back on the plane Sunday), but many times it was last minute ("A situation has come up, you needed in location XYZ as soon as possible). Every airport, rental car, and hotel looked the same. I got very little sightseeing in (beyond the location business area) as my schedule would be packed to the hilt.

I did enjoy the pay and personally thought I was overpayed for what they wanted of me. I would still have been happy at half the pay. But I liked technology as a hobby, could quickly become proficient in many areas, (particularly in "technology integration" scenarios) and loved to solve problems, and Megacorp clients saw that as valuable. Of course, that drove much of the frequent travel I had to do :).

I loved the free access to It hardware and software. Megacorp had some many agreements with vendors, and I had a role that required access to many of them, that I was able to get whatever I wanted for free, or get the budget easily approved for it (I did not go overboard from my management's view, so everybody was happy).

I do miss the people, interacting with them on business terms. I got along with most everyone, as I did not have a work "ego" - I had what several co-workers and clients described as a "steady, calm, confidence", maybe because I enjoyed my job a lot. I had a set of travel buddies, also in jobs requiring frequent travel, that we would try to get together on the road.

I enjoyed mentoring others coming through the business. As a minority in IT when there were very few minorities of my ilk, I got the chance to speak at many schools and colleges about my career, as well as help others (both minorities and non minorities) who joined Megacorp navigate their careers.

The awards were great. Not just the bonuses (which often got into 5 figures), but the bonus trips - several to Hawaii, many more to resorts around North America - fully paid for both me and DW.

However - I do not miss them to the extent that I want to go back to work. They are pleasant, fun memories, ones that I like to think about and recount with other co-workers when we get the chance. But retirement at this time in my life is so much more enjoyable :dance:.

My two corporate expat experiences (France, Denmark) were awesome. Occasional domestic or international travel was mildly stimulating but nothing like living overseas. Everything else pretty much sucked, except for the all-too-rare times when I got to work on cool tech. :popcorn:

Lunch. I ate lunch out almost every working day for 40 years. And I had a lot of options. Now retired at my rural home, I have few options. Only a McDonalds within 10 miles. So I try to grab some fast food when I go to town for supplies. But it's not the same as my working days when I looked forward to a good lunch every day.

I definitely miss the social side of things. I am not a social person, so having people readily available around me made it easy to find people to talk to, and I often joined some of them for lunch and some after-work activities, etc. After retirement, I have to make more of an effort to socialize.

And I did enjoy talking shop. Even work-related gossip was kind of fun. My current life is much more steady/calm and boring LOL.

Last edited:
I don’t miss the work itself, or the perks at all (they were great fun when it was all new, but I’m over that). I do miss my work friends, about 25% of the people I worked with. Then there’s the 10% who I couldn’t stand but could not avoid, miss them least of all...

The comraderies of a Fighter Squadron. It's almost you would have to have been there to know it. Brutal competition between pilots that you would literally depend upon for your life. Virtually no prank off limits. I am sure the same exist in other military organizations, mine just happened in the Air Force.

A few things I miss....then I roll over and go back to sleep!

fine dining on someone else's dime
first class travel
sports event tickets
international travel
tacking on vacation days on the backend of business travel
some of my employees, co workers and clients

Flying over the N. Atlantic late at night and seeing soooo many stars and then a fantastic sunrise. If you have to be in an office, one with a view at 38,000 feet pretty much beat all others.

Doing Presidential missions while Clinton was POTUS was pretty epic, too. We would stay in the same hotels as the support folks (so, they were ALWAYS nice hotels), get increased per diem and well...Clinton loved to travel to some pretty awesome places. George Bush Jr? He liked Waco, TX which wasn't nearly as exciting. ;)

Last edited:
The isolated things I enjoyed tended to be the ones that were infrequent, like resolving a medically or legally difficult claim or SOME of the travel. But, m'gosh that was so far outweighed by the negatives. So, all in all do I miss anything? No.

I sometimes miss the people I worked with, all (with a very few exceptions) very fine people and in spite of someone being in a really bad set of circumstances being able to make it at least a little bit better for them. Sometimes a lot better.

I do not miss asshats (LOTS of those!)

Sometimes I miss the social interactions with co workers.
I keep in touch with some through social media, but not the same.

I miss the copy machine.

I miss the copy machine.

Ah, yes. Until the days when a home printer was available and affordable, the company copier got a lot of "questionable?" use. Also the fax machine. While I had one at home, it was a slow process. In a minute I could fax 20 pages that would 15 minutes at home.

I miss the color copier and one co-worker. That's it.
I have been retired for 12 years. I have a scanner that can make B&W copies, which is 99% of what I need.

Ah, yes. Until the days when a home printer was available and affordable, the company copier got a lot of "questionable?" use. Also the fax machine. While I had one at home, it was a slow process. In a minute I could fax 20 pages that would 15 minutes at home.
Don't tell me you photocopied body parts...[emoji1787]

Sometimes I miss very faintly getting all dressed in real clothes with jewelry and makeup before going to work. It was a lot of work, but felt good. This sounds very shallow, but I really don't miss working at all and I enjoy my current lifestyle.

I never hated the job or my co-workers, but I miss none of it. Never had to travel much and hated the trips I had to make because it always with a couple other co-workers and I just didn't want to spend 7AM to 10 PM with the same people day after day. I don't even mind having to buy my own pens now.

Back
Top Bottom