Do you rejoice at Summer?

Summer comes in overnight in Chicago, it seems--it came in Friday. It leaves almost as fast in early September. Shortest season, but my favorite.

Summer is the only season I'm willing to spend in the Midwest. It is often too hot and too humid, but at least it isn't cold. I like the long days at the 40s latitudes. Back in the Islands, summer days are longer than winter, but not nearly as long as at the higher latitudes. Summer is a good time in the Midwest because all the activities are concentrated into 3 to 4 months (Citizens Band, parades, fairs, car shows, picnics, etc.) YMMV

Hmmm. You made me think. I live in a place that some people think of as the land of perpetual summer, but it's much more subtle than that.

May and June are the gray days of summer. Don't need long sleeves, but it's not really hot, and unless we go a couple miles inland, we usually won't see the sun until it sinks below the high overcast layer in the late afternoon. This time of year has its own charm and I enjoy the cooler days before summer really sets in, but these months also tend to attract a lot of whiny tourists who didn't check the forecast and are disappointed that they aren't getting a tan at the beach.

July and August are sunny, noisy, crowded, lively. Concerts in the park, 4th of July parades, fireworks most nights, traffic on the main drag, busy sidewalks, lines at all the restaurants.

September and October are our "second summer". Tourists are mostly gone, weather is perfect. These are the long lazy days of summer that I rejoice at.

I also love "bonus summer". That's the week that comes along most years in January or February when the temps suddenly go up to the high 70s or low 80s after a few colder days and the whole city just seems happy.

You must live in CA? If not this sounds very similar to So CA. I also love Nov. - Indian summer driven by warm Santa Ana winds.

You must live in CA? If not this sounds very similar to So CA. I also love Nov. - Indian summer driven by warm Santa Ana winds.

Yes, we're on the coast, second town north of Mexico.

Fall is my favorite season in Northern NV. Partway through summer it will get pretty hot. Although the nights always cool own. Mostly bug less here which I love.

Back
Top Bottom