Do you shop at the .99 store?

UnrealizedPotential

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I did not see any recent threads on this and had a few insights to share. I was recently there in the .99 store and picked up some laundry detergent, 64 oz for you guessed it .99. You can't beat that. I picked up some moisturizer, a big container, some energy efficient light bulbs . I also plan on picking up my trash bags there also. I don't mind saying at other stores these items are a rip off. They just are. I also got some writing pens also. I am tired of buying all these items at terribly inflated prices. Now to be sure not every item there is a bargain. But if you look hard enough you can find great deals and save money. That to me is why I shop there because I needed to shop smarter and get things I really needed at prices that made sense. Does anyone else shop there if one is nearby in your area and what do you buy there?

I do not but my wife does. God, I love that woman.

DW shops at 5 Below.

I've gone there for party favors and stocking stuffers. It's fun to see what little novelties have just arrived from China.

We buy 90% of our groceries, toiletries, and household goods at the big-box store, and I've calculated that the economies of scale are in our favor, versus buying at the dollar store (which is also out of our way).

Amethyst

I visit one for certain items I have found to be a good buy. But you have to compare the product size and price. Many times the dollar store item is a smaller package and others walmart still beats on price. I have DollarTree, DollarGeneral, and Freds.

Ever since we got our last pay raise, we stopped shopping at the 99 cent store and have started going to the dollar store. :D

I like Dollar Tree. Many items are sold elsewhere for $3. Some stuff is junk,for example pens don't seem to last and pencils have graphite that is segmented and falls out when sharpened. I find lots of items that work in an RV as they are a little smaller and light.

Last edited:
I shop at $1 store sometimes if I happen to be close to one and only need a few items. But I don't go out of my way to do so.

We definitely shop at Dollar Tree, there inventory has grown over the years and we find many useful things there.

Dollar Tree is my go-to store for stuff.
I have one not too far from me. Is it better than the .99 store? If it is and it certainly might be, how is it better? I am always looking for better deals to make my dollar go further.

I shop at $1 store sometimes if I happen to be close to one and only need a few items. But I don't go out of my way to do so.

This pretty much describes my shopping tendencies at the local Dollar Store. I find it a good store to go to when I need some oddball items, mainly nonfood things. I won't go out of my way to shop there unless it is something I need right away.

No, however the DW shops at Dollar Tree for birthday cards. She tells me they have some unique cards and a better selection.

I don't shop at the .99 store. I'm living large and go to Dollar Tree😜.

Actually there is a Dollar Tree near by so I do go there occasionally for small items. I really like to get gift bags there.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

We do shop at the dollar store, but with care. Some items the quality is suspect... DW bought some dishwashing detergent and it doesn't suds well at all so we won't do that again. Also, some items can be had for cheaper than $1 elsewhere.

One of our best finds is an all-purpose spray cleaner called "Awesome". It works really well, and will in-fact take paint off if you leave it on a surface too long but we dilute it for some purposes.

Occasionally. Like others have said, you have to be careful about quality and "spoof" products. The cleaning products are all obscure brands designed to look like nationally recognized brands. (Crorax instead of Clorax or something similar.) Their produce is often an awesome deal.

When my son's were younger I'd buy their matchbox size/style cars there. They also had an apple "newt" type cookie that we were fond of.

I agree it's at great spot for stocking stuffers, kid party goody bags, etc.

I call all of the Dollar Stores. We have a couple of them nearby. I usually buy all of my greeting cards at them. If my grand kids are here, I will buy them helium balloons.

Nope, not me. I never seem to find very good bargains there and often I am tempted to buy things I might not otherwise buy at all. :blush:

I have one not too far from me. Is it better than the .99 store? If it is and it certainly might be, how is it better? I am always looking for better deals to make my dollar go further.

I go to all of them from time to time, but would not actually call it shopping. Also go to Big Lots and I was surprised to find my favorite Kashi box cereal which is very pricey in the regular store. I think the expiration date was 6 months instead of 3 yrs or something.

The thing about all these places is it totally depends on how well managed the particular location is. Some of them are just junk stores and some are not much different than a regular store. If you travel off the beaten path in many rural areas of VA and WV, you see as many Dollar General stores as McDonald's.

We do shop at the dollar store, but with care. Some items the quality is suspect...

+1

Some of the really cheap stuff is actually very expensive since it does not last very long and just adds to the garbage we have to toss out. It's like burning dollar bills, err... 99¢ bills.

OTOH, the 'Cars' tissue is a great gift for the little boy or girl in your family. :dance:

Last edited:
We shop there 2 or 3 times a year. For Christmas they had the large gift bags for .99 cents that Target wanted $5 bucks for.

I've never been in a "dollar store". Is this the modern equivalent of the old five and dime store?

Greeting cards, wrapping paper, party goods are a bargain. Check the ´where its madé - for food and personal items. I wouldnt buy anything in that category thats made in China.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

No, it would be at least a 150 mile trip to go to either a 99 cent or dollar store.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom