• Scan the wallet on my smartwatch

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I'm old school and pay cash

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I get the spouse to do all the shopping

Votes: 3 1.9%

• Total voters
Varies.

Phone when possible, including courtesy cards. Card tap if phone isn't possible, eg Costco gas pump. Insert if necessary. Swipe with anxiety.

Is cash still a thing? I'll ask my wife for some if needed.

And, I avoid wearing a watch of any kind. A work-related PTSD symptom.

90 percent or more is touch and go with the card.

9 percent or less is over the stores set limit so I have to input my pin number.

1 percent is cash.

Most transactions it's cc insert. For gas stations it the wallet on my smart phone as an extra layer of security against skimmers.

Sam's, walmart, Kroger with the store apps (counts as online purchase for >5% rebate on one of our cards).

Android/google pay is preferred elsewhere, but as noted, some stores aren't set up for it.

Depending upon the country and how far out in the sticks we are, we will use cash more often on some of our trips. Then again, most countries that we've visited are ahead of our area in paying by phone (at least in their major metro areas)...

Walmart was mentioned a few times about not taking contactless "tap" or Apple Pay. I don't know if it's all stores or just some, but at mine a QR code shows up on the screen when it's time to pay. If you have the Walmart app on your phone you can scan the code and pay with the payment method in your account. This does not require a paid membership, it's just the Walmart app.

I've been using Apple Pay on my phone since I got my first Smartphone almost 2 years ago. A month ago my son gave me his old Apple Watch (Series 2 from 2016) and now I use the Apple Watch to pay for everything that will take Apple Pay. It's surprising how usable his old watch still is.

Last edited:
For most all Grocery Shopping, I drop ms gamboolgal off at the door.
Then I go park in the Shade (Texas) and wait for her.
She won't let me come in the store with her... ha ! As I bother her too much.

Last time I went to Walmart with her, I was sent to the Truck to wait. The Check Out Ladies laughed at me - ha!

When we go anywhere else, my task(s) are to tote stuff and provide Overwatch. :2funny:

when using tap or applepay, how do you tip or do you just skip the tipping part ? I use cash and cc mostly cash. I also agree about the person who doesn't even start the payment process until everything is ready to go out the door. it always amazes me that some people can watch their items checked throught but do not even consider payment until the cashier says the pric.

Restaurants or coffee shops have you interact with a screen that lets you specify or they printout a receipt for you to sign and add a tip.

Grocery stores blessedly skip this business.

I use the Apple Watch wherever I can, but there are still quite a few places where I shop that still don’t have NFC card readers. Kroger finally upgraded theirs, thank goodness. And just yesterday I had to wait for the lady in front of me to write a check and balance her checkbook, of course it didn’t occur to her to start digging in her purse until after the bill was finalized.

Tap and go if available. If it’s not available, I insert the credit card.

Haven't had to regularly use a physical card since at least 2019.

I go to gas stations with NFC readers, though they still are not the vast majority.

And here is my PSA - when you go to the grocery, you know you're going to need to pay, so get your card out and swipe/tap it before they're done ringing you up. Don't wait until everything is bagged up and sitting in your cart before you even begin searching though your suitcase sized purse looking for your credit card. You are not the only person at the grocery store; there are other people waiting in line. So be snappy about it.

+1000! I'm not impatient but I find it incredibly rude when people hold me up because they don't have the courtesy to get their transaction started before the cashier is done. And I get that you might be lonely and don't get a lot of social interaction. But don't hold everyone else up while you chat with the clerk! Find a stocker who can chat while they work.

What I really like is that my card is never out of my sight. I cannot remember the last time our cards we out of our sight when paying for something.

At restaurants I am either using the device at the cash or I am paying at the table. The server brings a portable unit to the table.

This has also been our experience in Europe and in OZ/NZ. Asia is more often than payment in cash for us.

Apple Pay when I can, or tap a CC. I usually use self checkout. No line most of the time. For groceries, I go one step further. I bring reusable bags and scan as I shop. No putting things in and taking out of cart for the cashier to scan and put into too many bags. I also sort items into the bags based on where they are to be put away when I get home. All the produce in one bag, frozen in another, etc. It really cuts the shopping time.

I use GPay (Google), because I have an Android phone. I’m starting to get quite irked at major retailers that don’t accept phone taps (e.g. Home Depot).

From what I’ve read, using GPay or Apple Pay is more secure than using one’s card.

"Whether you're using Apple Pay, Google Pay or Samsung Pay, your credit card information is never collected by the merchant you're paying. Instead, each of these services “tokenizes” account information. When you make a new transaction, your account is represented by a random transaction code, but your actual card numbers are never shared with the business. Tokenization helps prevent fraud and minimizes damage if the merchant undergoes a data breach."
https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/credit-cards/mobile-payments-roundup

Last edited:
I use GPay (Google), because I have an Android phone. I’m starting to get quite irked at major retailers that don’t accept phone taps (e.g. Home Depot).

From what I’ve read, using GPay or Apple Pay is more secure than using one’s card.

I wouldn't worry about it, the regulations about who takes the loss of fraudulent cc transactions haven't changed. The worst case scenario is that you'll have to write a snail-mail letter to the cc company. Yes, most people handle it by a phone call, but like it says in the fine print on the back of your cc statement, your rights are only preserved if the dispute is made in writing.

In practice though most cc companies fall over themselves reversing disputed charges because they don't want to lose their customer.

Credit card almost always. Usually try and leave tips in cash at restaurants. Sometimes cash for small purchases. Use credit card to get the cash back reward, and it is an easy way to track overall spending if 95% or more is on the card.

I try not to hand my card to anyone, so at restaurants that don't give you a bill to pay at the register, I often use cash. We are eating out less and less, so that's all very rare now.

Apple Pay w iPhone for me, with Apple Watch DW - more secure than CC. Next we use credit cards if we have to. I’d only use cash for small items, e.g. under $10ish.

I'm all about speed and shortcuts in everything I do in life. Getting through the register at the store is one of them. Almost everyone I see swipes or inserts plastic which is definitely better than counting out pennies to the cashier, although quite a few still do that. I hardly ever see anyone writing checks at the register any more. I go a step further and scan the wallet on my Iphone or my smartwatch. I often don't even have my credit card with me while shopping. How do you pay at the register?

This has probably been repeated 1000x - always pay as muchas you can with credit cards for their rewards and only buy what you have covered in cash. Pennies make dollars, and so do reward points. I usually pay credit card bills off every weekend as to never miss the payment date.

Back
Top Bottom