• Sometimes

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • I don't know how

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
When I'm in a good mood, walking, hiking, biking; I whistle.
I don't come across other that do.

So do you?

We had a guy who worked for my Dad that would whistle and it drove us all crazy. I definitely do not whistle, smack gum, or let the phone ring more than twice thanks to this early indoctrination by my Dad!

But I frequently use the whistling smilie! :whistle::whistle:

Last edited:
No, but I've always wanted to learn to whistle using two fingers like some do to hail cabs in NYC...:D Just an old childhood fantasy that never came true cause I never could quite "get" it.

Yes. But not always, so I just answered - sometimes

I definitely do not whistle, smack gum, or let the phone ring more than twice
Trying to understand what these three things have in common :confused:

What happens if the phone rings more than twice?

It's another one of those things I never figured out.

I love it when DH whistles--it is almost an involuntary expression of spontaneous happiness in the moment for him, almost like birdsong.

I only whistle on purpose (but I can do the piercing two finger whistle).

Mother, father, older siblings all were enthusiastic whistlers, so I learned to whistle complicated tunes very young. I could whistle much better than I could sing. I also enjoyed that many older people (except my parents) disapproved of "young ladies" whistling. Made me whistle even more!

Getting a dental bridge spoiled my whistling range, since regular spaces between the teeth are important for controlling pitch. I don't bother any more.

Amethyst

Here, let me say it before REWahoo reads this thread:
Depends on which orifice you're referring to...

I only whistle on purpose (but I can do the piercing two finger whistle).
Any tips?

I was always jealous of a high-school classmate who could bare his teeth, stick his tongue between upper & lower incisors, and emit an ear-splitting "heads up" or "wolf whistle" blast. No fingers required. But I think that had to do with his genetics and a lack of periodontal care.

Here, let me say it before REWahoo reads this thread:
Depends on which orifice you're referring to...

Any tips?

I was always jealous of a high-school classmate who could bare his teeth, stick his tongue between upper & lower incisors, and emit an ear-splitting "heads up" or "wolf whistle" blast. No fingers required. But I think that had to do with his genetics and a lack of periodontal care.

I can do that too but I think it's hereditary in my case, not a function of peridontal care :) .

(Cringing in advance for bbbam1's take on this :) )--For the two finger whistle, you can use whatever two fingers you want in the corners of your mouth (I actually use my forefinger and thumb on the same hand to leave the other hand free for other athletic supportive gestures (there's a free softball pitch)), then push the tip of your tongue against your fingertips and blow. Experiment with the angle and thrust.

(Cringing in advance for bbbam1's take on this :) )--For the two finger whistle, you can use whatever two fingers you want in the corners of your mouth (I actually use my forefinger and thumb on the same hand to leave the other hand free for other athletic supportive gestures (there's a free softball pitch)), then push the tip of your tongue against your fingertips and blow. Experiment with the angle and thrust.
Oh...so many pitches......:LOL: But I'll behave mahself....:whistle:

Mmmm...I never could do the two finger whistle. I can't even make those ummmm....lovely noises with my hand and armpit. I must be lacking a cool gene....

I couldn't whistle to save my soul. I don't mind listening to people whistle if it is a happy tune and not in a dark alley or some deserted subway platform. My husband could not whistle at all either, but our son is an excellent whistler with fine clarity. When he was home a couple of months ago I heard him whistling about the house and it cheered my heart greatly. I always am relieved when I feel that he is happy. It's a Mom thing.

We have a friend who hums some offkey unknown melody during the time you referred to. It is the most irritating thing I have ever experienced. In fact, strangers (like in a restaurant) have become quite vocal in their objection to him doing that.

I fell in love with a man who whistled Flight of the Bumblebee.

I can't whistle at all.

Who doesn't want to do this?

+++++++++++

Great comments:

Wasn't the accompanying album ''Around the world with Whistling Jack Smith'' behind '' the great dachshund incontinence outbreak of 1967''?At least Kaiser Bill's podiatrist would have had some bleeding LYRICS.It would have been the historical thing to do.

The Andy Griffith theme is one of my favorites.

Another great whistler....

Yes, I whistle. I find it easier to whistle by INHALING versus exhaling.

I use the "4 Cheek Rule" for whistling. If a Martian's derriere :cool: ( 2 lower cheeks) warrants it, I can make his 2 upper cheeks turn red with a nicely delivered wolfette whistle. :LOL:

Yes, I whistle. I find it easier to whistle by INHALING versus exhaling.

I had an Aunt who could whistle - and I mean whistle! It was an amazing instrument - like a solo violin. Wide range, soft and LOUD, vibrato, staccato, glissando, octave leaps - she could do it all. I know how to play keyboards a bit, and I'd play accompaniment for her sometimes. Very few people can whistle like that.

Ten years ago or so, NPR did a little program on a whistler. This guy could do the classics, and the key was that he taught himself to whistle both inhaling and exhaling. So he could play long lines written for violin (where you have the up and down stroke) w/o running out of breath.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom