? Cell Phone count steps if not in cell service

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I was wondering if cell phone still counts step even though you aren't in cell service area?

The reason I ask when I hike, I would say less than half the time I'm not in cell service.

I was wondering if cell phone still counts step even though you aren't in cell service area?

The reason I ask when I hike, I would say less than half the time I'm not in cell service.
If your cellphone has a built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, it is capable of estimating your step count even if you are not in cell service range.

Last edited:
And I'm pretty sure EVERY phone has an accelerometer. Certainly any smartphone that could run a step counter app.

I just installed a step counter app this afternoon. Just tried turning off cell/wifi/bluetooth and tested the step counter app -- still works. So yes, at least with this app it works without cell signal.

Yes. I’ve been several places without cell coverage and my iPhone step counter worked just fine. Many Glacier area of Glacier NP was one such area

I have an Apple Watch so I don’t care about my phone counting steps. On my neighborhood walks I don’t even carry my phone. My watch has GPS and tracks distance very accurately when I’m running a walk exercise.

My watch counts steps but overall I care more about distance and exercise minutes. Ad I like to see the track.

None of this requires cell connection. My watch doesn’t even have cell connection yet it tracks everything.

Thank You all very much. I was thinking about that the other day. I get pretty remote and no cell service at all always SOS service only. When I'm at the ranch same thing but I can get to a spot or two and sometimes I can get out and sometimes I can't.

I always give wife a general area I'm in before leaving so if I don't show up, she as some idea where I was heading.

The one feature I do use if I get to a spot with service is send a location map where I'm at. On Apple, type in "I'm at" and send and sends my location. Of course, the Location Service setting has to be ON.

I did look and it says Apple CP's do have a built-in accelerometer.

Thanks for the help and info.

Last edited:
My wife an I share our locations with each other. If one of us were to go into a "dead zone" with no coverage, it would simply show the last place a signal was received. That would be a good "commence search point."

OP - you made me look, and I was thinking why not use GPS as I know cell phones have that ability even without data plans.

TMI territory alert!

Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS; GPS is the US constellation, and most modern cellphones use multiple constellations) may help make step estimates more accurate especially with a dedicated step counter app that you allow access to your location data. The phone GPS needs to be in line-of-sight of at least 3 GPS satellites. The more satellites seen, the more accurate the location. Most modern cellphones use multiple GNSS constellations to get the strongest signal available.The best case for GPS is outdoors, not blocked by tree cover or buildings. If the cellphone is constantly searching for a GPS signal in addition to searching for a cell signal, then the battery will be depleted more quickly.

If you’re interested, here’s a quick 2023 article from GPSworld talking about modern cellphones and which GNSS constellations they support:
https://www.gpsworld.com/editorial-advisory-board-gnss-receivers

I have an Apple Watch so I don’t care about my phone counting steps. On my neighborhood walks I don’t even carry my phone. My watch has GPS and tracks distance very accurately when I’m running a walk exercise.

My watch counts steps but overall I care more about distance and exercise minutes. Ad I like to see the track.

None of this requires cell connection. My watch doesn’t even have cell connection yet it tracks everything.

The Apple Watch has GPS, an accelerometer and gyroscope built in. It syncs with your iPhone to update your health info with your updated heart rate and step count info. With cellular, it will auto-call your ICE contacts if it detects that you fell.

I activated cellular on my Apple Watch at the start of February 2024 so I could leave my iPhone docked at home when walking through the hood or biking to the gym. This has already been extremely useful that time I needed a ride home. Plus DH knows where I am, so less worry for him. Worth the extra $10/month. (T-Mobile ONE plan 55+)

But even with a non-cellular Apple Watch, if you leave your iPhone behind, Find My will report the last position of your Apple Watch as reported by any other Apple product. Same principle as AirTags.

I've hiked plenty out of cell service and it still is counted.

I've checked it after a treadmill walk and works fine without "going anywhere"... I recall putting in my stride length in the past for some reason...

My Fitbit does all of this also. No phone needed.

I used a cell phone without mobile data enabled on many bike rides. It would track my rides just fine, distance, location, speed... as I fully expected it would because it uses GPS, which is separate from cellular service and internet data.
My Fitbit does all of this also. No phone needed.
I have one of those - Fitbit Charge 5. The Fitbit GPS isn't as accurate, though. But I normally just use it for sleep, and it's terrible at thinking I'm asleep when I'm lying there wide awake wishing I could sleep.

Back
Top Bottom