Don't Do This When Driving.......what to do now?

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I started driving w/ a light jacket on, then it became a bit warm. While stopped at a red light, I decided to remove the jacket with the seat belt on.
Didn't think much about it since I had recently done it successfully w/o incident.
Not this time......the next thing I know there a clunk as I kiss the bumper of the car in front. Evidently I must not have stepping on the brake fully as I struggle to get the jacket off.

We pull over to the side and it appears that there is little damage. However it's a BMW (don't know what year) and the nice lady says it's her husband's and she want to have him involved. We exchange info and drive off.

My dream is that she calls me when I return from dinner and tells me all is ok.
I rush to the answering machine but my dream is not answered. Now my imagination is going wild...........husband creates more damage and demands new bumper etc. Unfortunately I didn't have phone/camera to takes pics.

Suggestions? Haven't called insurance yet.............

Go on with life. See no need to call insurance company if no noticed damage. But you did say "little damage." Guess it depends on how much is little.
Just the same, hope you did not tell her the jacket story. Talk about incriminating.:cool:

Not endorsing the activity, but I can definitely see ( and sympathize!) with how that happened....
Best case, you won't hear anything, worst case you buy a new bumper. Even for a BMW, they only cost so much. If that happens, consider it an education and a reminder that we aren't as limber as a 20 year old anymore. :cool:

Unfortunately I didn't have phone/camera to takes pics.

There's your main lesson right there. Having a phone with a good camera has been a godsend to several people I know who have found themselves in similar situations.

I would never get in my car without my phone. Best of luck.

... I struggle to get the jacket off ...
Here's a trick I learned from a flight instructor a number of years ago. To take off a jacket while seated and belted, pull the body of the jacket straight up and over your head, forwards. This can be done very quickly. The jacket ends up in your lap with your arms still in the jacket. Now it's easy to finish the job. Easier to do than to describe in words.

Here's a trick I learned from a flight instructor a number of years ago. To take off a jacket while seated and belted, pull the body of the jacket straight up and over your head, forwards. This can be done very quickly. The jacket ends up in your lap with your arms still in the jacket. Now it's easy to finish the job. Easier to do than to describe in words.
Nice trick but here's what I think may be an even better trick:

1) Pull aside and park.
2) Shut the engine off.
3) Get out of the car
4) Remove the jacket
5) Get back in the car and resume driving.

1) Pull aside and park.
2) Shut the engine off.
3) Get out of the car
4) Remove the jacket
Harder to do when flying?

I've done that while driving down the highway, but the last time I did it, I got STUCK.. I ended up with 1 arm free as it was still in the jacket, but the other was 1/2 in and tangled.
I quickly imagined myself crashing, so I pulled over to the side and stopped the car, I couldn't put it in park as my arm couldn't reach.. so I used my other arm.

Now I take my jacket off all the time, unless it's winter..

I've done that while driving down the highway, but the last time I did it, I got STUCK.. I ended up with 1 arm free as it was still in the jacket, but the other was 1/2 in and tangled.
I quickly imagined myself crashing, so I pulled over to the side and stopped the car, I couldn't put it in park as my arm couldn't reach.. so I used my other arm.

Now I take my jacket off all the time, unless it's winter..
Yeah. I would never suggest the over-the-head trick when driving a moving car. Only when stopped, but a stop at a light should be enough time once the maneuver is familiar.

& yes, pulling over in an airplane is problematic. But in most airplanes, even without an autopilot, things will go on fairly normally during the few seconds that the jacket maneuver takes. Or I'll just have the right seater fly, but that's difficult in a car.

1) Pull aside and park.
2) Shut the engine off.
3) Get out of the car
4) Remove the jacket

Yeah that is safer, but you totally give up any chance you had of getting a spot on America's Funniest Videos.:facepalm:

1) Pull aside and park.
2) Shut the engine off.
3) Get out of the car
4) Remove the jacket

Admittedly our 2005 Honda Civic is old, but we have widows that can be wound down to provide a little breeze.

Admittedly our 2005 Honda Civic is old, but we have widows that can be wound down to provide a little breeze.

You wind down widows, do you?

1) Pull aside and park.
2) Shut the engine off.
3) Get out of the car
4) Remove the jacket

Bingo! :LOL:

I started driving w/ a light jacket on, then it became a bit warm. While stopped at a red light, I decided to remove the jacket with the seat belt on.
Didn't think much about it since I had recently done it successfully w/o incident.
Not this time......the next thing I know there a clunk as I kiss the bumper of the car in front. Evidently I must not have stepping on the brake fully as I struggle to get the jacket off.

We pull over to the side and it appears that there is little damage. However it's a BMW (don't know what year) and the nice lady says it's her husband's and she want to have him involved. We exchange info and drive off.

My dream is that she calls me when I return from dinner and tells me all is ok.
I rush to the answering machine but my dream is not answered. Now my imagination is going wild...........husband creates more damage and demands new bumper etc. Unfortunately I didn't have phone/camera to takes pics.

Suggestions? Haven't called insurance yet.............

Other possibilities that I have seen. 1- The "nice: lady stole the car/ didnt have permission to use it.. 2- she is getting divorced and could care less about his stupid beemer. 3- what your thinking times 10, she is currently in ICU surrounded by attorneys looking to own everything you have. My suggestion, Call your broker now, tell your story. they might tell you to call /go get a police report.

Buy a self driving Tesla.

I don't drive with layers of clothes. T-shirt only or t-shirt with dress shirt if formal on top.

Folks, in the middle of winter think that is odd. But I have my reason. Layers feel quite restrictive trying to drive.

I'm always warm so I don't wear jacket ever when I drive. If I need one, I put it in the back seat or roll down the window.

Love those heated seats. It seems that they save potential embarrassment. Plus AC of course. The rear windscreen helped in the BMW convertible too.

I find heavy outerwear restrictive when driving. I usually wear indoor clothing while driving (with the exception of severe winter conditions) and use the various climate controls to adjust the interior temperature.

If I need to make an adjustment while stopped in traffic, I put the car into park and put on the brake. If that is insufficient time, I pull over and park.

I can easily understand how this happened. If the OP has to pay for a new bumper, best to just pay up and move on. Nobody was injured, which is the most important thing.

Sorry for the incident, but if you need a laugh about this, watch "Planes, Trains and Automobiles."

John Candy's character gets into a heap of trouble over trying to take his jacket off while driving. :)

Back
Top Bottom