Don't Rush me?

windsurf said:
I think it is worse than bad entertainment. The guy lies, spouts views based on warped science, and pontificates as though he is an authority in order to advance an agenda.

Gee, sounds like you're describing some Democrat-aligned folks too... :D

Patrick said:
Yeah, what was it called, "Radio America" or something like that. Couldn't make enough revenue to stay in business.

OK. Well now that I've listened for a few more mins, I note that they haven't used the expression "Air America" yet, so maybe they've closed down the network as a business. But, clearly the main on-the-air personalities are still there doing their shows. I'm listening to Jerry Springer right now and they're running promos for Franken's show coming up next.

Mr._johngalt said:
Well sir! Obviously I am no "sheep".

Bah. :)

JG
Bend over JG! Bah.......ah.........a..a..a..a.a!

The "Oxyman" is ready to deliver another load.

Hmmm

Put on your 'imagine this hat' and picture Rukyser doing a 'Wall Street Week type show' on low cost index funds.

The truly good stuff is often as boring as watching paint dry.

heh heh heh heh - extreme entertainment to rise above the background noise - is well ah - extreme.

Mr._johngalt said:
Former DW said I was built without a "sensitivity chip". I prefer to think
it was a "humility chip". In any case, I share some of these traits with Rush.
BTW, as someone pointed out, his show is mostly entertainment.

JG

You wife was more right. What do you have to be humble about?

youbet said:
OK. Well now that I've listened for a few more mins, I note that they haven't used the expression "Air America" yet, so maybe they've closed down the network as a business. But, clearly the main on-the-air personalities are still there doing their shows. I'm listening to Jerry Springer right now and they're running promos for Franken's show coming up next.

Yeah, and you could put their whole audience in a phone booth
(comparatively speaking). :)
BTW, Springer and Franken have got to be two of the sleaziest humans
on the planet. They make James Carville look wise and statesmanlike.

JG

Azanon said:
You wife was more right. What do you have to be humble about?

Not much.

I am glad you brought that up. I told a friend that my first ex.
said that my problem was I thought I was smarter than everyone else.
He opined, "But you are!" :) I concluded that both of them showed
exceptional insight. :D

JG

Mr._johngalt said:
Not much.

JG

Three hobos, a can of pork and beans, and a coonhound don't count as "everyone else."

Mr._johngalt said:
Not much.

JG

Being smart isnt really something to be proud about. I score 140 usually on IQ tests, but have made as high as 150 before. Big deal. That was mostly what i was born with, and probably had little to do with development afterwards.

I'm not religious, but I think of people like our former, kind janitor that worked at the church i used to attend. He wasnt very smart, but he sure was kind hearted. If there was/is a God out there, i'm sure he's loved just as much (maybe moreso) as I am.

Azanon said:
Being smart isnt really something to be proud about. I score 140 usually on IQ tests, but have made as high as 150 before. Big deal. That was mostly what i was born with, and probably had little to do with development afterwards.

I'm not religious, but I think of people like our former, kind janitor that worked at the church i used to attend. He wasnt very smart, but he sure was kind hearted. If there was/is a God out there, i'm sure he's loved just as much (maybe moreso) as I am.

I know a lot of folks like your "kind janitor". My former father-in-law
was very kind and gentle. He died a few years ago. My son is very much like him. No one ever has an unkind word to say about him. I like it that there
are such people in the world. However, I would rather be smart than "loved by all", which is fortunate as that's the hand I was dealt.

JG

Azanon said:
Being smart isnt really something to be proud about.

Why not? Everyone has their good points. Some are better physically, some mentally, some emotionally. Some have more money, better cars, bigger houses, hot babe "9" wives. Why not be proud of the good things about yourself?

Mr._johngalt said:
I know a lot of folks like your "kind janitor". My former father-in-law
was very kind and gentle. He died a few years ago. My son is very much like him. No one ever has an unkind word to say about him. I like it that there
are such people in the world. However, I would rather be smart than "loved by all", which is fortunate as that's the hand I was dealt.

JG

OK, well i confess that i do enjoy my advantage in that respect too. But intelligence is just a tool; you have to do something with it for it to produce dividends. Also, intellience and wisdom are two different things. I'll concede you have a healthy dose of the former at least :D

My freshman roomate in undergraduate school was absolutely brilliant (naturally, he had a full ride). He never studied and dropped out by the end of the year, due to flunking classes. Who knows maybe he's a small CEO somewhere now, but that's probably not likely. I wonder if he boasts about being intelligent still.....

What irritates (or amuses) me more than Rush are the whiny dittoheads who occupy a two-dimensional world of US (reasonable rational hardworking patriots) and THEM ("liberal Democrats"). No shades of gray in this world; the paucity of thoughtful opinion in this crowd is depressing.
I guess that's what I don't like about Rush - everything is framed in the basest of terms. He's just another gas bag with a microphone, & will be quickly forgotten when he departs the scene.

What ever their outlook:

My approach to gas bags is I don't support their sponsors, and I tell them why.
Once I told a call in host, on the air, exactly that and I heard him choke.

Get these folks where it hurts, in the pocket book. Same thing for the discussion programs that are just a group of folks shouting on top of one another.

Bobot said:
He's just another gas bag with a microphone, & will be quickly forgotten when he departs the scene.

Not so sure about that - he is an icon in his industry. It's hard to argue with the success he's had. I certainly could be wrong but would suspect that he has one of the largest audiences in all of talk radio. His abiility to combine entertainment with politics - especially 3 of the fundamental conservative principles - tax cuts / personal responsibility / strong national defense - has clearly struck a chord with lots of Americans for a long time.

The dismal failure of Air America only serves to secure his position. I enjoy him.

brewer12345 said:
I prefer "irritainment." I often listen to far right talk radio in the car when I am sleepy. Either I can laugh atthem or get PO'd enough to stay awake.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ROTFL!

Audrey

Arc said:
Not so sure about that - he is an icon in his industry. It's hard to argue with the success he's had. I certainly could be wrong but would suspect that he has one of the largest audiences in all of talk radio. His abiility to combine entertainment with politics - especially 3 of the fundamental conservative principles - tax cuts / personal responsibility / strong national defense - has clearly struck a chord with lots of Americans for a long time.

The dismal failure of Air America only serves to secure his position. I enjoy him.

Remember Father Coughlin?
Didn't think so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Coughlin

Arc said:
Not so sure about that - he is an icon in his industry. It's hard to argue with the success he's had. I certainly could be wrong but would suspect that he has one of the largest audiences in all of talk radio.
I'm trying to decide how "large" this really is... and whether it's a good thing.

brewer12345 said:
Three hobos, a can of pork and beans, and a coonhound don't count as "everyone else."
If the coonhound had been present, there would have been a question about who was on top of the brain chain. Plus the hobos would probably have to be unconscious. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom