Double Standard?

Westernskies

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was reading through the recent posts after a long weekend away, and noticed an anomaly that I wanted to address.

We recently had two FIRE members publicly announce their decision to leave this forum, both citing similar circumstances for their departures. One generated over fifty good-byes, the other less than one-tenth that amount, of which only one response was from a long-time forum member. I read several postings from each of the two departing members, the primary difference I could see between the two members was the tone of their responses on political and social issues.

So much for all the recent discussions around fairness, tolerance, and open-mindedness. Many of those pontificating about the decline in the tone and content of the forum in those discussions were conspicuously one-sided in their good-byes.

Why be a "Drama Queen" and announce your departure anyway?

If you want leave...JUST LEAVE!!! No reason to announce that you are leaving.

One good thing being in the Navy helped me...is how to have thick skin and know when to be humble!

I read several postings from each of the two departing members, the primary difference I could see between the two members was the tone of their responses on political and social issues.

Sorry, but that doesn't hold water.

While I wouldn't argue that stands on political and social issues (and posting temperament) win and lose friends on this board, I seriously doubt that was the primary reason for the difference in the goodbye posts or supports a claim of a double standard.

Note that the departed poster with the 50 goodbyes had been on the forum for 5 years and had more than 2,100 posts while the other had been here for 5 months and had only 120 posts. That accounts for the disparity in numbers - Dex was around for a long time, we saw him struggle with the decision to retire, pull the trigger, and move on to a new life. By contrast, we hardly knew BoutDone.

Dex's farewell was also in Other topics while Bout done was in the political arena where a lot of people don't venture .

I have never taken note before now, but is this Final Good-Bye post something new? One of the benefits of these online forums is that you can come and go in annoniminity, unlike moving out of your neighborhood or office. In theory if that is your last post here, you would not be returning to read any comments.

When I give up on this group I will just fade away as General MacArthur once suggested that old soldiers do.

While the vast majority fade away with little notice, some go off with great fanfare...and sometimes return.

Then we have those who stay...and 'go off' again and again. ;)

Well, let's put it this way: Do you think someone who works at a place for a month before quitting -- and before many had a chance to gain a favorable impression of them -- is going to get the same send-off from co-workers as a relatively well-liked colleague who is retiring after 30 years on the job?

"Individual A" was just starting to hit my radar screen, while all I knew of "B" was his or her screen name. I did notice that "A" sometimes expressed the same sentiments as my own but don't think we ever engaged in direct conversation as you (BWW) and I have already done! I said good bye to neither of them....

I stopped posting here (and reading the forums) for two months last year (to develop other interests) and to spend less time on-line which can be addictive. I'm not at all concerned that no one commented on my absence.

Dex's farewell was also in Other topics while Bout done was in the political arena where a lot of people don't venture .

Ding, Ding, Ding...I had to look over there right now since I didnt even see it....so I guess, good luck Boutdone...I didnt even get to know ya:D

Ding, Ding, Ding...I had to look over there right now since I didnt even see it....so I guess, good luck Boutdone...I didnt even get to know ya:D
Same here I didn't even notice BoutDone's good-bye and I cruise by the Soap Box once in a while when a I feel I deserve some punishment.

So much for all the recent discussions around fairness, tolerance, and open-mindedness. Many of those pontificating about the decline in the tone and content of the forum in those discussions were conspicuously one-sided in their good-byes.

Hey BWW,

I didn't know about BoutDone leaving until I read your post. I just don't look at every post, particularly in the soap box forum. Please know many of us are tolerant and welcome a spirited discussion with folks who have different opinions.

Personally, I belive the difference in tone is due more to the fact it's an election year. In addition, the price of gas and instability the the stock market has many people tense and cranky.

By the way, I like your new avitar. I found out about "jack-a-lopes" from my Kansas relatives.

Suffering is always more noble when done in silence. When I leave it will be without posting to say so. I always wonder about the motive of someone who posts a "goodbye this place is not friendly anymore post"? I usually enjoyed what Dex had to say here on the forum but really did not know Boutdone.
Jeff

...which begs the question- if someone posts a thread stating that this is their FIRE forum swan song, do they continue to stick around and read what everyone's reaction is? - in which case they aren't truly finished. What defines the end- when you answer the question or question the answers? George Carlin would have had fun answering this question.

Watch what you say, Wyoming, or you'll be next.

Watch what you say, Wyoming, or you'll be next.

Nooo..-- if and when I go it will be in stealth mode, so ya'll will think I'm still lurking around, waiting for a chance to respond on behalf of mainstream America...:D

Note that the departed poster with the 50 goodbyes had been on the forum for 5 years and had more than 2,100 posts while the other had been here for 5 months and had only 120 posts. That accounts for the disparity in numbers - Dex was around for a long time, we saw him struggle with the decision to retire, pull the trigger, and move on to a new life. By contrast, we hardly knew BoutDone.

I think REWahoo is on the mark.

Coach

I have never taken note before now, but is this Final Good-Bye post something new? One of the benefits of these online forums is that you can come and go in annoniminity, unlike moving out of your neighborhood or office. In theory if that is your last post here, you would not be returning to read any comments.

When I give up on this group I will just fade away as General MacArthur once suggested that old soldiers do.

Over the 25 years I've been posted in online forums I've lost count of the number of forum I use to be a fairly active member but stopped posting.
I've never said goodbye, I've just fade away, by posting less and than eventually stopped reading. If and when I do disappear, feel free to send me an email/PM..

General MacArthur had the right idea, of course in reality the American Caesar actually went on a lengthy farewell tour.

I like it when posters say good bye, especially if they have been around quite a while. Otherwise, I might worry. :(

I like it when posters say good bye, especially if they have been around quite a while. Otherwise, I might worry. :(
Agree, I get to feel like I know many of the longer term posters, and like them.

Of course, I would prefer that when someone leaves, he leave without calling everyone still here a bunch of useless losers who have fallen from some formerly high standard.

In truth, it was much tougher around here 4 or 5 years ago. :) More straight up aggression, less of the always charming passive variety.

Ha

I quit the forum yesterday & didn't tell anybody I was going - but I haven't really been around that long, so nobody to miss me (sniff :( )

I came back today though, so nobody really knew about the whole "quitting" thing :)

Back
Top Bottom