Driving Farther for Cheaper Grocery Store

I would drive farther for better selection and better produce. $aving would have to be significant for me to drive more than a few miles extra.

I am lucky in that there is a Kroger, Trader Joes and Costco all within about 3 miles of my home. One of the benefits of living near a Metropolis. However, the local TJ's is small, crowded and thanks to construction in the area, hard to get to. So for me it's mainly Costco and the Kroger store.

My personal opinion is TJ's and Costco are a pretty good combo and I am looking forward to the traffic hassle ending. But, sometimes you need a real BIG Super Market and for that Kroger is OK.

Oh, an [-]Amazon[/-] Whole Foods grocery store will also be opening nearby. Since they seem to be getting more price sensitive that may be another option.

I don't drive to get cheaper prices, I drive to get better quality.

Our neighborhood has gotten more expensive over the years so we save a a fair bit by grocery shopping around 5 miles away at the discount / outlet stores. One of the stores has a "you saved" total over retail prices. Last night I spent $64 and saved $78 by their total for driving an extra 4 miles away, so that was worth it to me.

I go to Costco once a month and load up on stuff.
Other than that, I go to the local grocery store or Wal Mart.
There is a discount grocery near the Costco that has very good prices and fills in the gaps for what Costco doesn't carry, but I'm not willing to take the time and fight the traffic to go there on a regular basis.

We probably live within 20 miles of the OP. We have a grocery store within a half-mile that we can walk to plus about a dozen (12!) different HEB/Kroger/Randalls/Target/Walmart/TraderJoe's within 5 miles, so all of them no more than 10 minutes away.

I have to say that I will not go out of my way for routine grocery shopping except for a couple times a year. The Kroger 1/2 mile away has 2-liter soft drinks on sale for 79 cents to 88 cents each every couple of weeks (there's your Coke), so I won't pay more than $1 for these when they are not on sale. HEB is not that cheap.

I also don't go grocery shopping as a single trip. When I drive, I save up for a minimum of 3 different errands in the same direction. That might be library, doctor, grocery. Or it might be home depot, dinner, grocery. Or something else. It is amazing how I can do without for a few days until my list of errands gets up to 3 or more.

Also my spouse drives by 4 grocery stores on the 6 mile way home from work, so its no extra gas to pop in and get something. I cannot go grocery shopping with her anyways because she turns a 5-minute romp through the store into a 60-minute expedition and comes home with less stuff than I would for her 55 extra minutes. Even our kids won't go shopping with her.

And if you haven't signed up for the Kroger online deal, you should. You will get coupons specific for the things you buy. Some of them will be things for FREE such as free hummus, free ice cream, free carrots. I don't know if HEB does that. We usually have 20% to 30% of our grocery bill paid for with coupons. That makes Kroger about the same as HEB for us I would guess.

I know people who go to Costco once week. We are not members because it is more than 5 miles away and we don't stock up on perishables.

Last edited:
If you enjoy the experience at the new Kroger and the prices are reasonable, you need to be good to yourself. You're spending time just getting to HEB, can't get everything you want, and it costs more in time and gas for lower prices.

I"d go with Kroger. Check out their rewards program (and join). You'll find you might get a monthly mailer of coupons based on your shopping patterns. In addition, the Rewards card also offers manufacturer coupons and special seasonal discounts on their products. Altogether it might just make them completely comparable with HEB.

Do you any of you with a large concentration of grocery stores use the Wal-Mart price match app. You buy all your things at Wal-mart, scan your receipt when you are finished and it will price match all store specials within a certain distance..you get an app e-credit you can use whenever you want to.. its WalMart cash.

My DSis in VB swears by it.

You didn't mention the amount you spend on groceries, that does make a difference. I have read your weight?WW blog and I'm wondering what you buy that Adli's doesn't stock. We try to do low card and have great luck at Adlis

We only went to Aldi's once. There is one about 30 minutes from us now. It seemed to be mostly their brand of boxed foods which we don't eat a huge amount of. For produce, we buy organic and they didn't have organic. We could buy a few things there but not most. DH eats a sprouted bread without preservatives that is bought frozen and they didn't have that. That kind of thing. When the new one opens I will check it out for sure.

+1

For the OP's specific scenario, if you spend around $100 per visit on groceries, shopping at the closer Kroger would likely result in only about a $5-10 increase in total cost over driving to the HEB. Factoring in gas/travel costs and the "money value of time", let's call it $5. So, assuming three trips per month, shopping at the more conveniently-located Kroger only adds about $180 to your annual expenses. Seems like a small price to pay for the convenience and better shopping experience.

I keep all my grocery receipts (well, I scan in all receipts) so I can look back at what I've been paying at HEB. I think I will go this weekend to the Kroger and buy our usual stuff that we would normally buy at HEB and will compare the cost. We tend to buy the same things over and over. I'll go around and record their prices on the things that I don't need this week and compare that also.

OK, let me see. For the year to date, we've averaged about $350 a month at HEB. If Kroger was 10% more that would be $35 a month or $420 a year. The gas savings are not much. A lot of the savings in time is a simpler drive with fewer lights. So, maybe $25 a year.

I'm just guessing on the 10% extra though, so will look at it more closely. Of course, this isn't just about the money. It is the time and I think I'll like the Kroger a bit more. (I haven't shopped yet for everything we regularly buy so I may find it misses out on some stuff).

We eat lunch at a restaurant every day. I buy everything else I need online.

That is impressive. I buy some things online. My biggest food indulgence is a love Turkish Antep pistachios and eat them daily. I buy them from Amazon. We also buy a few other things from there if the price is right, including pet food and cat litter. But, DH eats yogurt daily and we buy fresh produce so buy those things at the grocery store. Also, some frozen foods.

We also live in a densely populated area with numerous grocery stores within a 4 mile radius. We buy 90% of our groceries at Stop and Stop which is a 5 minutes walk and the other 10% from trader Joe's 2 miles away.

Having lived close to major super markets most of our adult lives we've never had to drive more than 3-4 miles for groceries.

How far we are from stores is a huge factor in why we plan to eventually sell this house and move. I don't like having to drive almost 20 minutes to get anywhere. Right now we are here because we have large dogs and needed a larger property. But, eventually (the dogs are getting up there in years) we won't have them and I really want to move where I have at least one decent store within a less than 10 minute drive.

And if you haven't signed up for the Kroger online deal, you should. You will get coupons specific for the things you buy. Some of them will be things for FREE such as free hummus, free ice cream, free carrots. I don't know if HEB does that. We usually have 20% to 30% of our grocery bill paid for with coupons. That makes Kroger about the same as HEB for us I would guess.

I know people who go to Costco once week. We are not members because it is more than 5 miles away and we don't stock up on perishables.

Helpful to get the response from someone who lives relatively nearby and knows the stores. Thanks for the info about the coupons for Kroger. I did not know that and will definitely check that out. It could make a big difference.

We found the same issue with Costco. It is kind of far away for us and mostly sells large quantities of non-perishable foods. We buy organic produce usually and they had it but not really better prices than HEB so it wasn't worth it to drive all the way there to get it.

Do you any of you with a large concentration of grocery stores use the Wal-Mart price match app. You buy all your things at Wal-mart, scan your receipt when you are finished and it will price match all store specials within a certain distance..you get an app e-credit you can use whenever you want to.. its WalMart cash.

That is interesting. I don't shop at Walmart unless I absolutely have to for a particular product. The closest two are both a little farther than the HEB and don't have better prices. That said, Walmart is probably the one place you couldn't pay me to shop at. I always feel very uncomfortable in their stores.

I really think it depends on the Wal-Mart and who is running it...the one my sis uses is spotless and very well stocked. She drinks a lot of diet soda and Walmart will pick-up the loss leader soda specials that Walgreens and Target sometimes run, and of course a wider selection and there is actually soda in the store unlike Walgreens. Her Walmart has great produce which isn't always the case.

Aldis is expanding their organic section everyday and mine has quite a bit of organic produce.

We used to do that, but it got very tiring, especially since we work out most mornings. Now we try to do no more than 1-2 driving errands per day.

I *refuse* to go to the grocery store after work on my 2 days of work per week. Too crowded (parking lot and store, not to mention traffic). If I can't go by 10 a.m., forget it.

I also don't go grocery shopping as a single trip. When I drive, I save up for a minimum of 3 different errands in the same direction. That might be library, doctor, grocery. Or it might be home depot, dinner, grocery. Or something else. It is amazing how I can do without for a few days until my list of errands gets up to 3 or more.

I am strongly thinking about switching to the Kroger because I love the location and selection but sort of feel guilty switching to a more expensive store.

I have seen your posts before, but Im not fully aware of your finances. Im going to take a shot in the dark and think you might be financially in the good. I like a bargain, I feel from your post you do too. But from your post it seems that the better experience might well be worth the added cost. Consider it a guilty pleasure to shop in a clean , nice selection store. Its ok to splurge , the accumulation stage is over, its time to live it up. After a few weeks to back to the other store see after a brief absence if you miss it at all. You might say to yourself, "wow, why did i ever come here to start with?" Keep us posted.

My first choice would be to buy at the grocery store with the best produce (assuming it did not cost as much as Whole Foods) and the best selection. Although the OP does not buy many boxed foods, maybe they could stock up on non-perishables and cleaning supplies at HEB once a month and shop at the Marketplace the rest of the month.

I live near downtown in an area that is not the best part of town but I like it because it is close to the river, walking trails, museums, nicer restaurants, etc. But I do not like the grocery stores within five minutes, even though these are regular chain stores, so I avoid them (e.g., was sold bad fresh fish once, took 20 minutes to get through checkout line once, not a good selection). So I drive 20-25 minutes to the sterile, big box store part of the city to shop. From the interstate, there is a nice view of the mountains on the way and I like to drive and I get some highway miles on the car. I grocery shop every 7-10 days so the extra time is not a big deal to me - if I run out of something in-between, I just do without for a few days.

I don't track what things cost in the grocery store that closely but may start once I retire in the next month. That could make a difference where I shop but the overall distances will probably be about the same.

Last edited:
I shop at Aldi and a local Big Star (for sale items only.)

My wife shops at Publix for 2 for 1's and highly discounted items. Their sales are great about every 4th week. She has gone nuts on couponing.

I seldom go out of my way, but probably wouldn't go over 4/miles to shkp.

I just got a reminder of how prices can vary. I live in a KC suburb on the MO side and was in KS for a Toastmasters meeting. I had some spare time so decided to pick up my non-Costco grocery items at a newly-renovated local chain with a huge selection, deluxe salad bar, Starbucks inside, etc. I was certainly aware that MO taxed foods at a rate 300 bps lower than non-foods but that in KS everything got the same rate- but at this store the tax rate exceeded 10% ($2.53 on $25.02 groceries). That area is famous for setting up "special taxing districts" where another 0.25% or so is collected to recoup the cost of building new retail or fancying up existing retail stores.

I won't be buying groceries there again.

HEB is 5 minutes away, our closest grocery store. It is pretty much the only place we shop for groceries. Good prices and great selection. Plus, they have been open almost every day (with limited hours) throughout the flooding associated with Hurricane Harvey.

I'm attracted by a good selection and high quality of what is carried. If more than one store meets those requirements then I'll tend to go to the one with better deals. Convenience is also a consideration.

Lilke LOL!, we probably live within 20 miles of the OP and there are so many places to grocery shop within 5 miles in any direction, I would have a hard time counting them all. Last count, there are 7 Super Walmarts in a 15 mile radius of our home - goes to show the density (I think I may have missed one).

We are just two people and a small dog. I do all the grocery shopping as DW is too ill to do it at this time.

I am not a price hawk or coupon junkie so I just roll down the hill exactly one mile (it really is a downgrade) from our home to the Walmart and just get what we need for the week. Costco is 1.2 miles away and I go there every 3 months for my prescription refill as we have no need to buy in large quantities. Gasoline is usually the same price at Costco as it is at the Walmart.

Like LOL!, I try to combine grocery trips with other stops to minimize unnecessary trips. It works.

The dog's food is bought online and delivered to the house.

I have no desire to go to the other nearby grocery stores to hunt down bargains or try to figure out if one melon is better or riper than another.

I really think it depends on the Wal-Mart and who is running it...the one my sis uses is spotless and very well stocked. She drinks a lot of diet soda and Walmart will pick-up the loss leader soda specials that Walgreens and Target sometimes run, and of course a wider selection and there is actually soda in the store unlike Walgreens. Her Walmart has great produce which isn't always the case.

Aldis is expanding their organic section everyday and mine has quite a bit of organic produce.

The ones around here always seem so crowded that it is uncomfortable. Narrow aisles, too many people in too small a place.

I will check out the new Aldis when it is finished building, which should be in a few months. If it has good produce it would go in the mix of at least an occasional place to shop.

I have seen your posts before, but Im not fully aware of your finances. Im going to take a shot in the dark and think you might be financially in the good. I like a bargain, I feel from your post you do too. But from your post it seems that the better experience might well be worth the added cost. Consider it a guilty pleasure to shop in a clean , nice selection store.

I don't think the extra cost will break me. It is a judgment of where to spend a little extra for convenience and selection and were to spend the little extra time. FWIW, my husband thinks the savings in time of the new Kroger is worth the extra cost.

My first choice would be to buy at the grocery store with the best produce (assuming it did not cost as much as Whole Foods) and the best selection. Although the OP does not buy many boxed foods, maybe they could stock up on non-perishables and cleaning supplies at HEB once a month and shop at the Marketplace the rest of the month.

Produce is really important to me. The "old" Kroger that we occasionally shop at it for a few things and very little organic produce while HEB has a good selection (although laid out in the section in a confusing manner. Some foods are grouped together as organic while others are with their non-organic versions. Seems no rhyme or reason where you will find a type of produce.]

I didn't have time to carefully check the new Kroger the other day for produce although from my quick look they seemed well stocked. Will look more carefully this weekend.

Lilke LOL!, we probably live within 20 miles of the OP and there are so many places to grocery shop within 5 miles in any direction, I would have a hard time counting them all. Last count, there are 7 Super Walmarts in a 15 mile radius of our home - goes to show the density (I think I may have missed one).

We are just two people and a small dog. I do all the grocery shopping as DW is too ill to do it at this time.

I am not a price hawk or coupon junkie so I just roll down the hill exactly one mile (it really is a downgrade) from our home to the Walmart and just get what we need for the week. Costco is 1.2 miles away and I go there every 3 months for my prescription refill as we have no need to buy in large quantities. Gasoline is usually the same price at Costco as it is at the Walmart.

And, so is the difference in living in The Woodlands, versus living in an acreage subdivision out in the rest of the County. Where I live has its advantages -- large lots with no restrictions on number of pets and very beautiful with deer and rabbits -- but the negative is it is such a trek to places. We do most of our non-grocery shopping near the mall. Literally the closest store to our house is a convenience store that is 12 minutes away (and that store is only about a year old, before that we were much farther from a gas station or convenience store).

I live in a rural area but know a few around here that will make the 75 mile drive (one way) to shop at Costco. Never made any sense to me considering the cost of gas and having to spend 3 hours on the road.

The local Kroger store offers a good selection in the produce section and it's where I do most of my shopping. We also have a couple of farmers markets to choose from but their offerings are more seasonal and can be pricey.

I'll drive further for quality, but won't drive much extra for better prices. But I don't have a single store that I like for everything. I generally go every 4 or 5 days, so I'll hit one that has the much better deli and meat section one time, and the next time I'll go to where I like some of the produce better. Maybe it'd be worth it to make the longer trip every other time to stock up a little more on things that will last a bit longer? I find, for example, I can stock up some on apples, but bananas don't tend to last very long (and are a main reason I go somewhere every 4-5 days generally). I'm over 1/2 hour from any decent grocery store so I usually try to combine it with some other errand or activity.

We're pretty fortunate to have 5+ different grocery stores that are 0.3 to 1.7 miles from our house (and all are low cost) and several more (including a costco) about 2.5 miles (6-7 minutes) that are higher cost (including costco). It takes a lot of potential savings for me to drive the "extra" 5-10 minutes round trip to the more distant stores 2.5 miles away and often go there only if I'm driving to/from somewhere else and these stores are along the way.

We have a new Sprouts that's 6 miles / 15 minutes. Great sales prices on stuff but no way am I driving all the way out to suburbia just to save a little money.

The only thing we really would consider driving any distance for would be different/better selection. We have essentially all variety of ethnic stores within walking distance (Asian, African, and Hispanic grocery stores all in 1 shopping center right next to our neighborhood plus a half dozen others within a short walk). But there's bigger and better ethnic stores on the far opposite side of Raleigh in the suburbs. H Mart, a big Asian grocery store, opened 28 minutes from us (21 miles) but we haven't been there yet. It might save us some $$ but that's a long way to go just to save money. Might have to check it out since I'm sure it has a much better selection than our small mom n pop Asian stores (though they carry everything we routinely purchase). I guess we wouldn't be willing to drive that far to save money but we would to get a bigger store with wider offerings.

We have a Brookshire Brother's about 10 miles away, and Walmare, HEB, Kroger are all 30 miles away. If it is bread and milk run, the closest store wins, knowing it will cost anywhere from 10% to 30% more. However, we make most of our grocery trips are combined with other tasks such as dental, doctor, movies etc.

I am surprised that for some Kroger is cleaner or nicer than HEB.... our HEBs are much nicer than the Kroger... Kroger seems to have narrower aisles (but probably the same width) and higher prices...

I would not mind paying higher prices for better quality, but I find HEB to be better than Kroger in almost every item...

BTW, I need to take back the small cake I bought at Kroger before the storm... it said it was chocolate... but it is not... not really a yellow either, do not know exactly... I was SO looking forward to that cake which cooped up... but alas, not to be....

Even in the suburb here, we have within 5 miles Fry's (Kroger), Safeway, Basha's (a local chain), Trader Joe's, Costco, Walmart. Some chains have multiple stores within that distance from us. There's no Aldi here. And Fresh-n-Easy has closed down.

We still like to go to some stores further out on up to 1/2 hour drive every so often, just as an outing and also because they have some bulk items that are cheap such as Winco, or for some ethnic food (Mediterranean, Korean, or Oriental stores). How else can you get some sumac spice, or spices for Thai hot pot?

I do 90% of my shopping at Aldi, then I check the other area stores for sales on the bits I can't get at Aldi and go to them. Sometimes that means I go to 3 different stores a week. I am lucky in that there is 4 different stores on all 4 corners about a quarter mile from my house. (Aldi, Kroger Signature, Food Town and HEB). I rarely find that HEB is cheapest on anything any more.

I will drive to other Aldis miles out of my area to locate certain products that we use every week if my close store doesn't have it in stock (their sugar free french vanilla creamer is AWESOME, cheap, and low carb).

I like Cherry Coke Zero, so I stock up when it's on sale. I will not buy it unless it is on sale actually. I just do without soda that week if I run out and I can't find it cheaply.

Back
Top Bottom