Dumb purchase sighting

ERD50 said:

But T-Al said he replaced this fridge. Do you realize how old a fridge would need to be for T-Al to replace it? :LOL:

-ERD50

To be fair, putting a new 50 pound block of ice in the top of the old fridge every week isn't as easy to do in ones 50s as when they were younger. T-Al deserves a little luxury...

;-)

To be fair, putting a new 50 pound block of ice in the top of the old fridge every week isn't as easy to do in ones 50s as when they were younger. T-Al deserves a little luxury...

;-)

New?

Who said anything about new?

T-Al was buying used, and re-freezing!:D

But T-Al said he replaced this fridge. Do you realize how old a fridge would need to be for T-Al to replace it? :LOL:

-ERD50

This is what I found in the fridge I replaced:

20100629302.jpg

Looking around, I see that running all the time is indeed not normal. But I clearly remember reading something (1995) that said they were designed so that they ran most of the time.

I once went to a drive-through, paid money at the first window, passed the second window (that's where you are supposed to pick up your order) and drove about 3 blocks and realized I forgot to pick up my order, and drove back...(I am not blonde. Hopefully not senile either. I did this when I was still in my forties.)

I notice something similar more often in supermarkets these days. I always check the unit price, and the other day I was looking at two boxes of cereal. One was nearly twice the size of the other, but the cost per ounce of the small box was practically half the cost of the large box. Exactly the opposite of what you'd expect, and I wonder how many people contributed to the store's bottom line by not checking.

This is very true. This made me think of all of the people who have been brainwashed to think that bigger is cheaper and also belong to warehouse clubs. I read years ago that in many cases one of the reasons the larger items cost more is because smaller quantities of the larger items are produced when compared to the smaller sizes.

There may be some good reasons to join a warehouse club, but I think that it is foolish to have to pay aprox $50.00 per year to shop at a WC!!?? Just about anything you may wish to buy at a warehouse club is on sale/promotion somewhere else for about the same price.

We keep a pretty close eye on club store vs. grocery store sale items. For us, the club's still winning. Over the last few years, we've gone from buying 25% of grocery items at the club and 75% at the grocery store, to the inverse. The club offers coupons on items we actually buy; and (sorry to say), the club items have been hit by the shrink ray, much as grocery items have, so there is never any concern about finishing something before it spoils. Also, I get a break (through work) on the club dues ($40 for 15 months). We get that $40 back in less than 2 months.

Amethyst

I think that it is foolish to have to pay aprox $50.00 per year to shop at a WC!!?? Just about anything you may wish to buy at a warehouse club is on sale/promotion somewhere else for about the same price.

Duh moment heard on last night's news...They caught her when she used her loyalty card at the local grocery store to get the sale prices then paid for her purchases with a stolen credit card :facepalm:.

Duh moment heard on last night's news...They caught her when she used her loyalty card at the local grocery store to get the sale prices then paid for her purchases with a stolen credit card :facepalm:.

Hopefully she's the one who stole Alan's card info.

I once replaced a fridge partly because I noticed that it was running all the time. I since learned that they are designed to do that.

I replaced a stove once then found out the wiring in the wall outlet was shorted. We kept the new stove anyway (it was cleaner :LOL: ). Unfortunately that was not my dumbest mistake. I won't go into my penny stock adventure during the high tech boom. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

There may be some good reasons to join a warehouse club, but I think that it is foolish to have to pay aprox $50.00 per year to shop at a WC!!?? Just about anything you may wish to buy at a warehouse club is on sale/promotion somewhere else for about the same price.
I completely disagree.

For $52/year we buy gas at the island's largest retailer, which frequently beats even the prices at the military bases.

Then we can shop for niche products in bulk (soy milk, frozen dinners, fudgesicles, oatmeal, Cheerios, protein bars, vitamins) that are cheaper per ounce than military commissaries... and 30% cheaper than grocery stores. And let's not forget the cheap reading glasses & contact lenses, to say nothing of the store's generous return policy on electronics. Plus I can pay for all those purchases with my 2% rewards American Express credit card.

We make the payback on that annual membership within a few months of renewing it.

Come to think of it, I have never seen anyone actually buy any of the scandal sheets conveniently located at the checkout lines in supermarkets. Plenty of people thumb through them. How do they make money?

There may be some good reasons to join a warehouse club,

Like a gallon of milk for $1.87. Just went up to $2.19 .... but that will make me shop there (we need 2 gallons/week).

My guess is they lose money selling milk but know it'll get you in the door.

Last edited:
Like a gallon of milk for $1.87. Just went up to $2.19 .... but that will make me shop there (we need 2 gallons/week).

My guess is they lose money selling milk but know it'll get you in the door.

They did a one hour segment on CNBC on CostCo and I think they said CostCo's markup is only 15% while 30% is the norm for typical supermarkets. I think they said the markup at department stores is up to 50%. It makes sense to shop at CostCo especially if you could use up the bulk they sell.

Last edited:
Today while in line for lunch, the girl in front of me bought her lunch with a medium drink... the drink is probably $2 with tax (maybe less... I did not look)... I pay for my lunch and get a cup for water... I get to the soda fountain and watch as the girl puts WATER into her $2 cup... :facepalm: I put my water in to my free cup...

While it wouldn't surprise me if all she drank was water...I will readily admit that if it's really hot out, and I am dying of thirst, and I stop by a fast food place for a meal, I will put a decent amount of ice water in my cup for the first fill (to immediately guzzle down while standing at the drink station, before then refilling it with non-water, usually iced tea). Also, the 3rd (and the 4th refill for the road :) ) will also definitely be non-water!

They did a one hour segment on CNBC on CostCo and I think they said CostCo's markup is only 15% while 30% is the norm for typical supermarkets. I think they said the markup at department stores is up to 50%. It makes sense to shop at CostCo especially if you could use up the bulk they sell.

I think I've found the link to the segment. It was a good (interesting and informative) documentary, IMHO.
News Headlines

I have found this true in many cases. But...... The time and gasoline it takes to take advantage of the sale/promotion prices negates the savings. My local Big Box Warehouse store is minutes from my home and while it may not be cheapest place for everything, it is certainly among the lowest priced for most things. Given the value of my time and the cost of operating an automobile, I think I come out ahead.

Back
Top Bottom