Dumb purchase sighting

Texas Proud

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
OK... I just HAD to post this since most of us are LBYM types... here is an example of someone who does not have a clue...

Today while in line for lunch, the girl in front of me bought her lunch with a medium drink... the drink is probably $2 with tax (maybe less... I did not look)... I pay for my lunch and get a cup for water... I get to the soda fountain and watch as the girl puts WATER into her $2 cup... :facepalm: I put my water in to my free cup...

What other stupid things have you seen people do and they do not have a clue :confused:

Buy bottled water that is just from a tap anyway?

Maybe that $2 cup contained something that needed a little cutting with water....

OK... I just HAD to post this since most of us are LBYM types... here is an example of someone who does not have a clue...

Today while in line for lunch, the girl in front of me bought her lunch with a medium drink... the drink is probably $2 with tax (maybe less... I did not look)... I pay for my lunch and get a cup for water... I get to the soda fountain and watch as the girl puts WATER into her $2 cup... :facepalm: I put my water in to my free cup...

What other stupid things have you seen people do and they do not have a clue :confused:

It's not what stupid things I have seen other people do; it's what stupid things I have done myself despite all efforts to the contrary. And the answer is, I'm not telling! :LOL:

It's not what stupid things I have seen other people do; it's what stupid things I have done myself despite all efforts to the contrary. And the answer is, I'm not telling! :LOL:

Ditto!

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :angel:

heh heh heh - My lips are sealed about some of my doozers also. ;)

+2, great answer W2R!

I can't claim that I've never had a "D'oh" moment either. But I won't elaborate on them.

Yesterday I came home from work, to find my roommate asleep on the couch, under a blanket. Thermostat for the a/c was set on 79 degrees. I put it down slightly to 78, as it felt a little warm to me, and went into another room.

About 5 minutes later, I walked back into the living room, and saw that the thermostat was lit up, which means that someone just touched it. Turns out the roommate got up, cranked it down to 75 degrees and then...wait for it...GOT BACK UNDER THE BLANKET!!

Needless to day, I hollered at him for that one. And then put it back up to 78.

I depend on the kindness of strangers to save me from stupid purchases.

Visiting DH in Dallas in January, we decided to cook dinner for him and DIL. We went to Central Market (I love CM--it makes Dallas a destination vacation for us) to buy some dried oregano for the recipe. I asked where the spices were and explained I wanted a jar of oregano. The clerk pointed at the $6/jar for maybe 2 oz., but before I could take it off the shelf she said, "You can get the same amount for about 25 cents in the bulk spices area." We did.

I notice something similar more often in supermarkets these days. I always check the unit price, and the other day I was looking at two boxes of cereal. One was nearly twice the size of the other, but the cost per ounce of the small box was practically half the cost of the large box. Exactly the opposite of what you'd expect, and I wonder how many people contributed to the store's bottom line by not checking.

I SO want to ask if she was a blonde, but I'll refrain :D

As long as she didn't turn around and ask if you could spare a couple bucks. :LOL:

Well I just threw away a $5 container of meatball meat beacuase it expired 2 days ago ... direct order from DW.

I notice something similar more often in supermarkets these days. I always check the unit price, and the other day I was looking at two boxes of cereal. One was nearly twice the size of the other, but the cost per ounce of the small box was practically half the cost of the large box. Exactly the opposite of what you'd expect, and I wonder how many people contributed to the store's bottom line by not checking.

I can actually understand it a bit more in a supermarket... most people look at the size they want and buy it... not looking to see if buying two smaller ones is cheaper... they actually did get something that was not free for their money...

The supermarket often puts things in it's flyer as if they are on sale, but they are really just normal price.

I once replaced a fridge partly because I noticed that it was running all the time. I since learned that they are designed to do that.

I once almost got a small woodstove for our bedroom. We would never have used it because we only sleep in there, and we like it cold when we sleep.

One thing on our last cruise a member of our group bought the drink package so that she could have fresh squeezed orange juice each am. At over $20 per day, that was some pretty expensive OJ. Especially when she could have just bought a glass each am.

... it's what stupid things I have done myself despite all efforts to the contrary. And the answer is, I'm not telling! :LOL:
Back when I was doing stupid things, after I sobered up I usually couldn't remember them...

Exactly the opposite of what you'd expect, and I wonder how many people contributed to the store's bottom line by not checking.
I see that all the time. Another passive math tax.

Our local commissary is using LED price tags (on the shelf bullnoses) that display the unit price, but I still end up doing math because they'll show one unit price in gallons and the other in ounces.

Back when I was doing stupid things, after I sobered up I usually couldn't remember them...

I see that all the time. Another passive math tax.

Our local commissary is using LED price tags (on the shelf bullnoses) that display the unit price, but I still end up doing math because they'll show one unit price in gallons and the other in ounces.

My hand held calculator got me sent out to the car on several occasions while she finished buying what she 'knew' she was gonna get.

As for stupid - I hated it when she recounted what I couldn't remember. :facepalm:

heh heh heh - :cool:

I once replaced a fridge partly because I noticed that it was running all the time. I since learned that they are designed to do that.

? I've never seen one run all the time. A 50% duty cycle seems normal for the three that we have had that I've checked.

They cycle on/off with the thermostat.

-ERD50

They cycle on/off with the thermostat.

Yeah ... but an older unit might run all the time just trying to keep up (bad seals, low freon ...)

Yeah ... but an older unit might run all the time just trying to keep up (bad seals, low freon ...)

Yes, but T-Al said hey were designed to run all the time, as if it was normal for them to do so. That's what I don't get.

-ERD50

Yes, but T-Al said hey were designed to run all the time, as if it was normal for them to do so. That's what I don't get.
-ERD50

The "new, improved" energy-efficient ones sometimes do. Mine has a computer motherboard in it, variable speed fans and four thermostats in the interior. The fans run all the time but at varying speeds. When we restock after a grocery run I can hear them spooling up.

The "new, improved" energy-efficient ones sometimes do. Mine has a computer motherboard in it, variable speed fans and four thermostats in the interior. The fans run all the time but at varying speeds. When we restock after a grocery run I can hear them spooling up.

Not to mention the fridge has to keep that light burning all the time :D

I could see where the new ones might be able to run in a variable mode, and that could be more efficient than on/off cycling.

But T-Al said he replaced this fridge. Do you realize how old a fridge would need to be for T-Al to replace it? :LOL:

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom